* Date/time prompt  parses '3-2' as 'Month-Day', can I configure it to parse it as 'Day-Month' ?
@ 2013-01-29 18:36 Marcel van der Boom
From: Marcel van der Boom @ 2013-01-29 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Hi,

The date/time prompt, as described at [1], helps me a lot to quickly go
over items and (re-)schedule or put a deadline to them.
It has bitten me a couple of times though where I typed
'3-2' where my intention was to put it at the 'third of february' and
ended up with something at the 'second of march'.

Is there some way I could adapt the interpretation? The date
format 'd-m-y' is wired into my hands apparently.

Thx,
marcel

[1] http://orgmode.org/manual/The-date_002ftime-prompt.html
--
Marcel van der Boom  -- http://hsdev.com/mvdb.vcf
HS-Development BV    -- http://www.hsdev.com

* Re: Date/time prompt  parses '3-2' as 'Month-Day', can I configure it to parse it as 'Day-Month' ?
@ 2013-01-29 20:00 ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2013-01-29 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Marcel,

Marcel van der Boom wrote:
> The date/time prompt, as described at [1], helps me a lot to quickly go
> over items and (re-)schedule or put a deadline to them.
> It has bitten me a couple of times though where I typed
> '3-2' where my intention was to put it at the 'third of february' and
> ended up with something at the 'second of march'.
>
> Is there some way I could adapt the interpretation? The date
> format 'd-m-y' is wired into my hands apparently.
>
> Thx,
> marcel
>
> [1] http://orgmode.org/manual/The-date_002ftime-prompt.html

Not tested, but I would try to play with:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (setq calendar-date-style 'iso) ;; or 'european
#+end_src

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Date/time prompt  parses '3-2' as 'Month-Day', can I configure it to parse it as 'Day-Month' ?
@ 2013-01-29 20:37   ` Marcel van der Boom
From: Marcel van der Boom @ 2013-01-29 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue 29-Jan-2013 21:00
"Sebastien Vauban" <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> wrote:

> Marcel van der Boom wrote:
>> The date/time prompt, as described at [1], helps me a lot to quickly
>> go over items and (re-)schedule or put a deadline to them.
>> It has bitten me a couple of times though where I typed
>> '3-2' where my intention was to put it at the 'third of february' and
>> ended up with something at the 'second of march'.
>>
>> Is there some way I could adapt the interpretation? The date
>> format 'd-m-y' is wired into my hands apparently.
[...]
> Not tested, but I would try to play with:
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>   (setq calendar-date-style 'iso) ;; or 'european
> #+end_src

Thanks for the suggestion. It does not make a difference. A quick
grep/glance in the org-mode code confirms that.

Thanks again,
marcel
--

@ 2013-01-29 21:08     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-01-29 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcel van der Boom; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Marcel van der Boom <marcel@hsdev.com> wrote:

> On Tue 29-Jan-2013 21:00
> "Sebastien Vauban" <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> wrote:
>
> > Marcel van der Boom wrote:
> >> The date/time prompt, as described at [1], helps me a lot to quickly
> >> go over items and (re-)schedule or put a deadline to them.
> >> It has bitten me a couple of times though where I typed
> >> '3-2' where my intention was to put it at the 'third of february' and
> >> ended up with something at the 'second of march'.
> >>
> >> Is there some way I could adapt the interpretation? The date
> >> format 'd-m-y' is wired into my hands apparently.
> [...]
> >
> > Not tested, but I would try to play with:
> >
> > #+begin_src emacs-lisp
> >   (setq calendar-date-style 'iso) ;; or 'european
> > #+end_src
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. It does not make a difference. A quick
> grep/glance in the org-mode code confirms that.

(untested) I believe you can enter dates in "european dot" notation:

	   2013.2.3

but iirc you are not allowed to leave out the year. Another
possibility is

	    feb 3

FWIW, I find ISO notation (with its left-to-right decrease in
significance, mirroring that of numbers) the most sensible arrangement,
and now use it almost exclusively.

Nick

* Re: Date/time prompt parses '3-2' as 'Month-Day', can I configure it to parse it as 'Day-Month' ?
@ 2013-01-29 22:16       ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-01-29 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos writes:
> (untested) I believe you can enter dates in "european dot" notation:
>
> 	   2013.2.3

I don't know any place in Europe using such a format, the one that is
used at least here is D[D].M[M].[YY[YY]] (but it also suffers from the
same sort of potential ambiguity and confusion that plagues the american
M[M]/D[D][/YY]).

> FWIW, I find ISO notation (with its left-to-right decrease in
> significance, mirroring that of numbers) the most sensible arrangement,
> and now use it almost exclusively.

Yes (assuming this is ISO8601 we're talking about).  As another bonus,
it does sort correctly without jumping through burning hoops.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Date/time prompt parses '3-2' as 'Month-Day', can I configure it to parse it as 'Day-Month' ?
@ 2013-01-29 22:45         ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-01-29 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:

> Nick Dokos writes:
> > (untested) I believe you can enter dates in "european dot" notation:
> >
> > 	   2013.2.3
>
> I don't know any place in Europe using such a format, the one that is
> used at least here is D[D].M[M].[YY[YY]] (but it also suffers from the
> same sort of potential ambiguity and confusion that plagues the american
> M[M]/D[D][/YY]).

Yep, I told you I use ISO almost exlusively :-)

Sorry for the confusion.

Nick

* Re: Date/time prompt parses '3-2' as 'Month-Day', can I configure it to parse it as 'Day-Month' ?
@ 2013-01-30 18:39           ` David Rogers
From: David Rogers @ 2013-01-30 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> Yep, I told you I use ISO almost exlusively :-)

(slightly) off-topic: What settings can I tweak to make sure that ISO
dates are used everywhere in Emacs and Org? (everywhere that's practical,
I mean)

--
Thanks
David