From: "François Pinard" <pinard@iro.umontreal.ca>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Simplifying the weekly agenda a tiny bit, howto?
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 10:37:44 -0400	[thread overview]

>> How do I get it quickly rescheduled then, when it is a regular activity?
>> I find fairly convenient using "t d" to push an activity at its next
>> slot in the future.  Could I do something equivalent with mere time
>> stamps?

> Hmm, I hadn't tried that with repeating events.

I stole a few minutes this morning to make tries.  Unless there are
operator errors :-), I got the impression that "t d" over a simple time
stamp with a repeating part dynamically turns in into a TODO entry,
which would defeat the purpose of removing TODO.  But, and this is where
I'm still under the effect of surprise and some incredulity, it seems
that I do not even have to use "t d", the repeating nature of the time
stamp being automatically taken into account while computing the agenda.

In any case, I decided to follow your advice and see where it brings me:
I removed the TODO keyword ans scheduling clauses the most I could, and
merely doing that yields a cleaner agenda (cleaner by my own criteria,
taste varies of course).

> There are a pile of commands for shifting
> timestamps/scheduled/deadline

Which I often use.  The annoyance of doing explicit shifting is that I
have to look at the repeater to decide the shifting amount.  I much
prefer if it could be automatic, not requiring human scrutiny each time.

> If "t d" is your current solution, you're not actually re-scheduling
> meetings, just canceling them, right?

Well, Org turns TODO into DONE.  But if there is a repeating clause in
the time stamp, the time stamp is advanced appropriately and the DONE
gets immediately turned back into TODO again, all by magic.

> [...] or else use 'org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift' to just create a
> whole new heading for each meeting, with timestamps that can be
> adjusted individually.

Oh!  I found this command a bit polluting, enough to avoid it until now.
Maybe I did not get how it could genuinely serve me?  I do not feel the
need yet! :-)

>> There are many Org commands able to find, display and otherwise handle
>> TODOs.  If I stop using such keywords, wouldn't I give up the tools?

> It does take a bit of fooling to make the best use of the tools
> available...

I'll try avoiding TODO in most cases, finding my way around without them
and developing new habits as needed.  I'll see where it will bring me...

Thanks to you, and Richard as well, for the feedback!

François