From: "François Pinard" <pinard@iro.umontreal.ca>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Org Community
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 20:42:28 -0400	[thread overview]

"Loyall, David" <david.loyall@nebraska.gov> writes:

> the org-mode community should do what we can to oblige Jambunathan's
> request, even if/when we're not legally required to do so.

I read you, but no, not in this case.

> (Don't each of you feel that your code is a part of you?)

Yes, of course.  However, when I put my own code under the GPL, and make
my projects forkable, I really, really mean it.  It did happen that I
was not fully happy with the consequences, but not enough to kill my own
generosity.  If I ever change my mind, well, too late, and that's OK.  I
may act differently for the later code I'll write, but what is already
given is well given.  I might have been someone else when I gave it,
before I changed.  But as I'm not that another guy anymore, I should not
claim anything about that previous me.  Unless I'm pretty rotten, in
which case I'm not even worth being listened to.

> Supposing that the group agrees that the code should be removed
> somehow,

The only reason to remove code owned by the community would be that it
is not pleasurable enough to maintain, then consequently gets obsolete
and useless.  If nobody cares about the code, it's a different story.

François

P.S. I only once advocated for the withdrawal of an FSF assignment, and
I even got the related papers destroyed at the FSF headquarters.  The
related code was not so widely distributed that the withdrawal would
really hurt people, and the requester was deeply polite and human in his
way to explain his motivations.  He was also well aware of the meaning
of his previous commitment.  So, it has been a pleasure for me, and
everybody I contacted, to help.  It was human on every side.

Here, as far as humanity and politeness is concerned, one side is surely
missing.  Let's not spoil anymore time at that level, it would be a waste.