* Hyperlinks capable?
@ 2010-05-12 18:07 Bob Paje
From: Bob Paje @ 2010-05-12 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Does Org-mode understand Windows shortcuts and Web hyperlinks?
Can a simple press of the RETURN key (a la Outlook) open a new window to the shortcut file/folder or the web page, as it may be?

bob

* Re: Hyperlinks capable?
@ 2010-05-14 14:58 ` Jan Böcker
From: Jan Böcker @ 2010-05-14 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Paje; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 05/12/2010 08:07 PM, Bob Paje wrote:

> Does Org-mode understand Windows shortcuts and Web hyperlinks?
> Can a simple press of the RETURN key (a la Outlook) open a new window to
> the shortcut file/folder or the web page, as it may be?
>
> bob

Org supports hyperlinks to a lot of different things, including web
URLs. Take a look at chapter 4, "Hyperlinks", in the manual:

http://orgmode.org/manual/Hyperlinks.html#Hyperlinks

I do not know what exactly you mean by "Windows shortcuts". You can link
to any file on your hard disk; if you have not told it otherwise, Org
will tell Windows to open the file with its associated application.

You might also be able to link to an actual windows shortcut (.lnk or
.pif files), although I don't think you'd want to that :)

HTH, Jan

* Re: Hyperlinks capable?
@ 2010-05-17 13:27 ` Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2010-05-17 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Paje; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bob Paje <bob.paje@gmail.com> writes:

> Does Org-mode understand Windows shortcuts  and Web hyperlinks?
> Can a simple press of the RETURN key (a la Outlook) open a new window to
> the shortcut file/folder or the web page

Jan Böcker has already answered to you regarding the web part.
I'll answer for the Windows part. My OS is Windows XP SP 3.
I double clicked with the mouse over the links.

directory:
  [[C:\Documents and Settings\My-User\Documents\AAA\BBB\]]
  Windows opens Explorer in the BBB directory

file:
  [[C:\Documents and Settings\My-User\Documents\AAA\BBB\text.org]]
  text.org is opened in Emacs

  For other files: pdf, doc...
  depends on the application you have selected to open the file;
  for me the following link, to a file.doc, worked:
  [[C:\Documents and Settings\My-User\Documents\AAA\BBB\text.doc]]

shortcuts:
I have a link (shortcut in English?) to a directory:
  [[C:\Documents and Settings\My-User\Documents\link-to-BBB]]
  But when I click on it the BBB directory is not opened and I get an
  error message:
  org-open-file: No such
  file: c:/Documents and Settings/My-User/Documents/link-to-BBB

hth
Giovanni