Midway through function `org-agenda-align-tags', there's a call to `add-text-properties' that attempts to take an existing text property and add symbols `org-tag' and `face' to it. Since around org-mode version 5.17 or so, I've noticed problems with the lists formed there -- particularly on XEmacs 21.4.21 (Cygwin build). Sometimes the existing text property already contains the symbol `org-tag'. Sometimes the existing text property is already a list; sometimes it's just an atom. I'm guessing the intent of the forms in `org-agenda-align-tags' is ensure that `org-tag' is part of the text properties; if it's already there, we should leave it there. Toward that end, I've found the following change makes things work as expected.