* org-refile
@ 2007-12-02 20:19 Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz @ 2007-12-02 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi.

I'm very happy with the new org-refile, but the current way of
specifying the target node is, IMHO, not as convenient as it could be.
For instance, if i specify levels up to, say, 2 as targets, and have
duplicated headlines at said level:

* Project A
** Tasks
** Resources
* Project B
** Tasks
** Resources

the completion shows only the first occurrence of 'Tasks' and
'Resources'. What i do now is giving them different names, but it's a
bit artificial:

* Project A
** Project A tasks
** Project A resources
* Project B
** Project B tasks
** Project B resources

For situations like this one, it would help a lot having the option of
interactively selecting the target node in the same way as one selects
it after invoking org-remember. A second option would be to have
completion for all headlines in a hierarchical way, navigating the
outline tree at the mini-buffer prompt as if one where navigating a
file tree after C-xC-f. Finally, a (quick?) workaround would be to
show the target names as 'full-paths', e.g. Project A/Tasks, Project
B/Tasks in the first example above.

What do you think?

Regards,
jao

P.D. I've looked a bit at org.el to try to implement this myself, but
unfortunately my time is right now too short for the amount of code
involved :-(.

* Re: org-refile
@ 2007-12-03  7:27 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-12-03  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Jose,

On Dec 2, 2007 9:19 PM, Jose A. Ortega Ruiz <jao@google.com> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I'm very happy with the new org-refile, but the current way of
> specifying the target node is, IMHO, not as convenient as it could be.
> For instance, if i specify levels up to, say, 2 as targets, and have
> duplicated headlines at said level:
>
> * Project A
> ** Tasks
> ** Resources
> * Project B
> ** Tasks
> ** Resources
>
> the completion shows only the first occurrence of 'Tasks' and
> 'Resources'. What i do now is giving them different names, but it's a
> bit artificial:
>
> * Project A
> ** Project A tasks
> ** Project A resources
> * Project B
> ** Project B tasks
> ** Project B resources
>
> For situations like this one, it would help a lot having the option of
> interactively selecting the target node in the same way as one selects
> it after invoking org-remember.

The idea of using the org-goto interface (which is what org-remember-handler
 uses for interactive filing), but IIRC Max has pointed out correctly
that this interface is way too slow for this task.  It is OK for occasional
use, and if you are comfortable with it, you can use it during remember
to file your note.  However, if remember has collected some 10 tasks
during a day and you need to go through this interface 10 times
in succession, you will immediately get tired of it.  Opening another window
and doing cut-and-paste from one window to the other would probably
be better.

A second option would be to have
> completion for all headlines in a hierarchical way, navigating the
> outline tree at the mini-buffer prompt as if one where navigating a
> file tree after C-xC-f. Finally, a (quick?) workaround would be to
> show the target names as 'full-paths', e.g. Project A/Tasks, Project
> B/Tasks in the first example above.

It might be worth looking into disambiguating (is that a word???)
duplicate headlines, or indeed make the hierarchy look like
a path or even complete like find-file.  Not a bad idea at all.

C-c r o Implement way to distinguish identical headlines for org-refile C-c
C-c

- Carsten

* Re: org-refile
@ 2007-12-03  8:43   ` Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz @ 2007-12-03  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Carsten Dominik" <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> Hi Jose,
>
> The idea of using the org-goto interface (which is what org-remember-handler
>  uses for interactive filing), but IIRC Max has pointed out correctly
> that this interface is way too slow for this task.  It is OK for occasional
> use, and if you are comfortable with it, you can use it during remember
> to file your note.  However, if remember has collected some 10 tasks
> during a day and you need to go through this interface 10 times
> in succession, you will immediately get tired of it.  Opening another window
> and doing cut-and-paste from one window to the other would probably
> be better.

I see... yes, I agree with your point here.

> It might be worth looking into disambiguating (is that a word???)
> duplicate headlines, or indeed make the hierarchy look like
> a path or even complete like find-file.  Not a bad idea at all.
>
> C-c r o Implement way to distinguish identical headlines for org-refile C-c
> C-c

Excellent! If you find the time, my vote goes for the find-file-like
interface (one could even choose among different org files that way,
with the current one as default).

Thanks, and please keep up the awesome job.

Jose
--
They say when you play a Microsoft CD backwards you can hear satanic
messages...but that's nothing, if you play it forward it will install

* Re: org-refile
@ 2007-12-17 16:42 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-12-17 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Jose,

On Dec 2, 2007, at 9:19 PM, Jose A. Ortega Ruiz wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I'm very happy with the new org-refile, but the current way of
> specifying the target node is, IMHO, not as convenient as it could be.
> For instance, if i specify levels up to, say, 2 as targets, and have
> duplicated headlines at said level:
>
> * Project A
> ** Tasks
> ** Resources
> * Project B
> ** Tasks
> ** Resources
>
> the completion shows only the first occurrence of 'Tasks' and
> 'Resources'. What i do now is giving them different names, but it's a
> bit artificial:
>
> * Project A
> ** Project A tasks
> ** Project A resources
> * Project B
> ** Project B tasks
> ** Project B resources
>
> For situations like this one, it would help a lot having the option of
> interactively selecting the target node in the same way as one selects
> it after invoking org-remember. A second option would be to have
> completion for all headlines in a hierarchical way, navigating the
> outline tree at the mini-buffer prompt as if one where navigating a
> file tree after C-xC-f. Finally, a (quick?) workaround would be to
> show the target names as 'full-paths', e.g. Project A/Tasks, Project
> B/Tasks in the first example above.

In 5.17, you will be able to do this:

	(setq org-refile-use-outline-path t)

The refile targets will then be represented by "/"-separated
paths just like you suggested.

Thanks.

- Carsten

* Re: org-refile
@ 2007-12-17 23:17   ` Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz @ 2007-12-17 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Hi Jose,
>
> In 5.17, you will be able to do this:
>
> 	(setq org-refile-use-outline-path t)
>
> The refile targets will then be represented by "/"-separated
> paths just like you suggested.
>
> Thanks.

What can I say? Excellent!!!! Cannot wait for the new release :)

Thanks a lot, Carsten

Jose
--
In this world, there are only two tragedies. One is not getting what
one wants, and the other is getting it. - Oscar Wilde

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 185 bytes --]

* Re: org-refile
@ 2007-12-28 11:29   ` Thomas Veulemans
From: Thomas Veulemans @ 2007-12-28 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Jose,

(snip)

> In 5.17, you will be able to do this:
>
> 	(setq org-refile-use-outline-path t)
>
> The refile targets will then be represented by "/"-separated
> paths just like you suggested.
>
> Thanks.
>
> - Carsten

Hi Carsten,

First of all, congratulations for this amazing piece of software.

Regarding the new variable, would it be possible to add an option to include the
name of the file as the first level of the hierarchy?

Rationale: my current setup involves several org files, and it would be great to
be able to first select the file and then apply the logic described above.

Cheers,
Thomas

* Re: Re: org-refile
@ 2008-01-03  9:37     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-01-03  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Veulemans; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Dec 28, 2007, at 12:29 PM, Thomas Veulemans wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi Jose,
>>
> (snip)
>>
>> In 5.17, you will be able to do this:
>>
>> 	(setq org-refile-use-outline-path t)
>>
>> The refile targets will then be represented by "/"-separated
>> paths just like you suggested.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> - Carsten
>
> Hi Carsten,
>
> First of all, congratulations for this amazing piece of software.
>
> Regarding the new variable, would it be possible to add an option to
> include the
> name of the file as the first level of the hierarchy?
>
> Rationale: my current setup involves several org files, and it would
> be great to
> be able to first select the file and then apply the logic described
> above.

Good idea. This will be

(setq org-refile-use-outline-path 'file)

in the next release (5.18)

Thanks.

- Carsten