From: Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com>
To: Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: org-edit-file ?
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 16:24:42 +0530	[thread overview]

Dov

I believe you would like to follow a link to svg file and have it open
in one of the many external editors depending on whether the link is
"visited" (read-only) or "opened" (edit). May be others could help you
here.

What you need to begin with is a home-brewed elisp command to "view" or
"edit" a file based on (say a prefix modifier).

Read on. Hints below.

> I'm not sure that emacs is the best tool to e.g. generate a template
> png file of a given size and given background, or a svg file.

I don't think there are any svg or png experts here in this list and I
don't think any of us understand what you mean by template. Please
provide an example.

> I still don't feel that any of the proposed solutions solves the
> file:foo.svg edit scenario, where foo.svg does not exist yet.

We never proposed solutions. We only gave you hints. Your questions are
better suited to help-gnu-emacs list. See URL:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/

> Also I would rather differentiate between opening a few for viewing
> and opening a file for editing, as e.g. eog and inkview are good for
> viewing, whereas gimp and inkscape are better for editing.

You are the expert here and you have right to feel the way you feel -
"unsatisifed" and "disappointed". Not many of us use eog, inkview, gimp
or inkscape. At the minimum you should list how these apps open a given
file - ie, the exact command line string to open a given file and then
you can use `call-process' to launch the app.

Jambunathan K.