* org unavailable in ELPA package manager
@ 2011-07-24 19:24 Max Roberts-Zirker
From: Max Roberts-Zirker @ 2011-07-24 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Following step 4 of the Worg instructions to install ELPA
(http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#installing-via-elpa) in order to
upgrade to a newer version of Org-Mode:

"If you are here it means that org is unavailable in the GNU's archives.
<mailto:emacs-orgmode@gnu.org> "

I'm reporting that I didn't find "org" as an option when I (finally) got
the ELPA package manager installed. I'll try updating from a tarball.

Max...

* Re: org unavailable in ELPA package manager
@ 2011-07-24 23:36 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-07-24 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Roberts-Zirker; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Max,

Max Roberts-Zirker <mmmaxrz@gmail.com> writes:

> Following step 4 of the Worg instructions to install ELPA
> (http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#installing-via-elpa) in order to
> upgrade to a newer version of Org-Mode:
>
> "If you are here it means that org is unavailable in the GNU's
> archives. Report this discrepancy to Orgmode mailing
> list. <mailto:emacs-orgmode@gnu.org> "
>
> I'm reporting that I didn't find "org" as an option when I (finally) got
> the ELPA package manager installed. I'll try updating from a tarball.

What version of Emacs are you using?

I just did M-x list-packages RET and Org is listed here, version
20110724, indicating this is yesterday's snapshot.

--
 Bastien

* Re: org unavailable in ELPA package manager
@ 2011-07-25  1:43   ` Max Roberts-Zirker
From: Max Roberts-Zirker @ 2011-07-25  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bastien,

Thanks for the quick follow up. I'm encouraged to know that there is an
active community here.

I'm using Emacs 23, but I've been trying to get my org files to sync between
Ubuntu (which has 'GNU Emacs 23', 'Emacs Snapshot (Client)', and 'Emacs
Snapshot (GTK)'), OSX with Aquamacs, and my Android phone. I believe that I
got the package manager installed on one of the linux emacs clients as I was
looking through a list of packages to install, but I can't remember which
one. Now M-x list-packages RET shows "[No match]", so I can't confirm it.
I'm confused why it would have worked before and not now.

A few considerations:
- The ELPA instructions are for Emacs 22, not 23 (but like I said, I believe
I had it working before)
- I didn't change the ~/elisp/ path from the package manager installation
instructions
- If I skip ahead in the Worg instructions to test whether the installation
was successful by locating the library, I get the following return: "Library
is file /usr/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org.elc"

Anything else I might be missing?

Max...

@ 2011-07-26  0:47     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-07-26  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Roberts-Zirker; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Max,

Max Roberts-Zirker <mmmaxrz@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks for the quick follow up. I'm encouraged to know that there is
> an active community here.

There is :)

Can we start again with the problem at hand?

Here is how I read it:

- you use Emacs 23.2
- you do M-x list-packages RET
- you don't see "org" as a proposed ELPA package.

Is that right?  If so, does it happen when launching Emacs
with ~$ emacs -Q ?

Thanks for further details,

--
 Bastien

* Re: org unavailable in ELPA package manager
@ 2011-07-26 12:44     ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-07-26 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Roberts-Zirker; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-orgmode

> - The ELPA instructions are for Emacs 22, not 23 (but like I said, I
> believe I had it working before)

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#installing-elpa

If you are using package.el from tromey.com then you need to delete it
from load-path.

Previous success story is here:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2011-06/msg00374.html

Jambunathan K.

* Re: org unavailable in ELPA package manager
@ 2011-07-26 13:09       ` Max Roberts-Zirker
From: Max Roberts-Zirker @ 2011-07-26 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien, kjambunathan, emacs-orgmode

Bastien and Jambunathan,

- I am running Emacs 23.2.1
- launching Emacs from the terminal with ~$ emacs -Q made no difference (was
that just to open up the Lisp interpreter?)
- I just successfully upgraded to Org-Mode version 7.6 using the "How do I
install Org-mode from a ELPA-compatible tarball?" section from
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#installing-elpa

However, I'm not sure why this should have worked, since

- M-x list-packages RET displays "[No match]" in the bottom bar.
- I also seem to have lost the ability to evaluate (C-x e returns a "no kdb
macro has been defined" message).

I'm not sure what to do with
http://repo.or.cz/w/emacs.git/blob_plain/1a0a666f941c99882093d7bd08ced15033bc3f0c:/lisp/emacs-lisp/package.elbut
I assume since I'm now running Org-Mode 7.6 it is no longer necessary.

Max...

@ 2011-07-26 13:27         ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-07-26 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Roberts-Zirker; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-orgmode

> - I just successfully upgraded to Org-Mode version 7.6 using the "How
> do I install Org-mode from a ELPA-compatible tarball?" section from
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#installing-elpa

Good. But downloading by hand is kind of a pain.

> However, I'm not sure why this should have worked, since
>
> - M-x list-packages RET displays "[No match]" in the bottom bar.

What does C-h v package-archives report?

> I'm not sure what to do with http://repo.or.cz/w/emacs.git/blob_plain
> /1a0a666f941c99882093d7bd08ced15033bc3f0c:/lisp/emacs-lisp/package.el
> but I assume since I'm now running Org-Mode 7.6 it is no longer
> necessary.

If you want to use package manager with emacs-23 this step is
necessary. Copy it to "~/elisp" and follow step 2.

Jambunathan K.

* Re: org unavailable in ELPA package manager
@ 2011-07-26 13:47           ` Max Roberts-Zirker
From: Max Roberts-Zirker @ 2011-07-26 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-orgmode

Thanks for sticking with me Jambunathan,

C-h v package-archives RET reports no match also, though there do appear to
be commands: package-archive-base, package-archive-upload-base,
package-archive-version, and package-archive-contents.

Also, when I run M-x package-list-packages, it connects me to the
tromey.comsite and provides a list of available packages (INCLUDING
ORG in red, which
I assume means it is already installed.)

Max...

P.S. The ~/elisp file was successfully copied, and I'm no longer getting a
load-path error when I start emacs, so I think that solved something.
Thanks.

@ 2011-07-26 13:56             ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-07-26 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Roberts-Zirker; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-orgmode

Max Roberts-Zirker <mmmaxrz@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks for sticking with me Jambunathan,
>
> C-h v package-archives RET reports no match also, though there do
> appear to be commands: package-archive-base,
> package-archive-upload-base, package-archive-version, and
> package-archive-contents.

C-h v package-archives MUST report something like as below.

(("gnu" . "http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/"))

> Also, when I run M-x package-list-packages, it connects me to the
> tromey.com site and provides a list of available packages (INCLUDING
> ORG in red, which I assume means it is already installed.)

You aren't following the instructions correctly.

,----
| If you are using package.el from tromey.com then you need to delete it
| from load-path.
`----

Use M-x locate-library RET package RET

and delete those package.el and package.elc files before installing the
package.el file that the FAQ points to.

Jambunathan K.

@ 2011-07-26 14:43               ` Max Roberts-Zirker
From: Max Roberts-Zirker @ 2011-07-26 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-orgmode

Not sure what to say Jambunathan:

- I type C-h v and a blue input field (Minibuffer I assume?) appears:
"Describe variable:" I type package-archives and hit RET, and it says [no
match]. It doesn't report anything.

- Where would I delete tromey.com from load-path?  It isn't in my ~/.emacs
file or ~/elisp

- M-x locate-library RET package RET returns "No library package in search
path". I'll guess that that doesn't make sense to you either. Where would
M-x package-list-packages be getting the list from?

Max...

@ 2011-07-26 17:13                 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-07-26 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Max

It looks like you are totally new to Emacs. Sorry if I sounded harsh. I
will help you out privately with this. Let us take our discussions off
the list.

Jambunathan K.

* Re: org unavailable in ELPA package manager
@ 2011-07-27 10:14                 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-07-27 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Roberts-Zirker; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Jambunathan K

Hi Max,

hope you'll get this sorted out -- I'm sure Jambunathan will provide
usefull directions.

If you see anything that can be clearer in Worg's instructions, please
let us know.

Thanks!

--
 Bastien