* footnotes in LaTeX export
@ 2010-07-18 19:54 Henri-Paul Indiogine
From: Henri-Paul Indiogine @ 2010-07-18 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-org

I run the latest git version of org-mode in the Ubuntu 10.04 snapshot
version of Emacs.

I have footnotes in my org document.  When I export my org file to LaTeX
they are placed, correctly, inline as "\footnote{blah blah}".  However,
they are still present at the bottom of the tex file as "[fn:xx] blah
blah" just as in the original org file.

So far I have just deleted this block of text before compiling the tex
file to pdf.  However, I am probably missing something here and there
should not be that section of [fn:xx] at the bottom of my text file.

Thanks,
Henri-Paul

--
Henri-Paul Indiogine
Email: hindiogine@gmail.com

* Re: footnotes in LaTeX export
@ 2010-07-18 20:08 ` David Maus
From: David Maus @ 2010-07-18 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hindiogine; +Cc: emacs-org

Henri-Paul Indiogine wrote:
>I run the latest git version of org-mode in the Ubuntu 10.04 snapshot
>version of Emacs.

>I have footnotes in my org document.  When I export my org file to LaTeX
>they are placed, correctly, inline as "\footnote{blah blah}".  However,
>they are still present at the bottom of the tex file as "[fn:xx] blah
>blah" just as in the original org file.

>So far I have just deleted this block of text before compiling the tex
>file to pdf.  However, I am probably missing something here and there
>should not be that section of [fn:xx] at the bottom of my text file.

Indeed.  Can you provide a Org mode sample file that shows this
behavior?  I tried with

,----
| * This is a headline
|
|   [fn:1]
|

| * Footnotes
|
| [fn:1] This is a FOOTNOTE!
`----

And this gets exported (C-c C-e L) to

,----

| \begin{document}
|
| \maketitle
|
| \setcounter{tocdepth}{3}
| \tableofcontents
| \vspace*{1cm}
|
| \section{This is a headline}
| \label{sec-1}
|

|   \footnote{This is a FOOTNOTE! }
|
| \end{document}
`----

Using Org-mode version 6.36trans on

GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.0) of
 2010-05-16 on raven, modified by Debian

  -- David
--
OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6
Jabber.... dmjena@jabber.org

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 230 bytes --]

* Footnotes in LaTeX export
@ 2011-04-26 17:40 Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2011-04-26 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Aloha all,

I'm exporting a subtree to LaTeX and am having problems with footnotes.

1) If I enter a footnote with C-c C-x f everything works as expected
in the Org-mode buffer, but on export the actual footnote is replaced
by a message something like FOOTNOTE DEFINITION NOT FOUND.

2) I can workaround this problem by using an inline definition, eg.
[fn:: My footnote.].  However, the citation links that I use elsewhere
in the document, defined as set out in http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-latex-export.html#sec-17_2_1
, are broken inside the footnote.  The same code that yields
\citep{wilmshurst11:_high_east_polyn} in regular text yields
\citep{wilmshurst11:_high$_{\mathrm{east}}$$_{\mathrm{polyn}}$ }
inside the footnote.

I'm using Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.4.624.gab9f9) with a patch
for captions (which I submitted a while back) and another for org-
bibtex recently developed by Eric Schulte (neither of which should
have an effect on footnotes, I believe).

All the best,
Tom

* Re: Footnotes in LaTeX export
@ 2011-04-26 18:38 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2011-04-26 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: Org Mode

Hello,

"Thomas S. Dye" <tsd@tsdye.com> writes:

> I'm exporting a subtree to LaTeX and am having problems with footnotes.
>
> 1) If I enter a footnote with C-c C-x f everything works as expected
> in the Org-mode buffer, but on export the actual footnote is replaced
> by a message something like FOOTNOTE DEFINITION NOT FOUND.
>
> 2) I can workaround this problem by using an inline definition, eg.
> [fn:: My footnote.].  However, the citation links that I use elsewhere
> in the document, defined as set out in
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-latex-export.html#sec-17_2_1,
> are broken inside the footnote.  The same code that yields
> \citep{wilmshurst11:_high_east_polyn} in regular text yields
> \citep{wilmshurst11:_high$_{\mathrm{east}}$$_{\mathrm{polyn}}$ }
> inside the footnote.
>
> I'm using Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.4.624.gab9f9) with a patch
> for captions (which I submitted a while back) and another for org-
> bibtex recently developed by Eric Schulte (neither of which should
> have an effect on footnotes, I believe).

There has been recently some work done on footnotes, in particular
regarding latex export. Could you upgrade your Org version ?

If it still doesn't work, please post an ECM, I will have a look at it.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Footnotes in LaTeX export
@ 2011-04-26 18:47   ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2011-04-26 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Org Mode

Aloha Nicolas,

I've been lazy about rebasing my patches, but will update and report
back.

What is an ECM?

All the best,
Tom

@ 2011-04-26 19:04     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-04-26 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: Org Mode, nicholas.dokos, Nicolas Goaziou

Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:

> What is an ECM?

I don't know how widespread it is in French-speaking milieus, but I
believe Seb Vauban is responsible for introducing it into this mailing
list (see http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/16375/focus=16453
and its parent thread) and Nicolas Goaziou has perpetuated its use: it
stands for Exemple Complet Minimal (= Minimal Complete Example). Between
the two of them, they'll drag us all through remedial French class :-)

Maybe it should go into the FAQ...

Nick

* Re: Footnotes in LaTeX export
@ 2011-04-26 19:15       ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2011-04-26 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Org Mode, Nicolas Goaziou

Thanks Nick.  My French, never very good, is apparently too rusty to
decipher acronyms.  I'll work out an ECM if the update doesn't fix the
problem

All the best,
Tom

@ 2011-04-27  8:45       ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2011-04-27  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Nick and all,

Nick Dokos wrote:
> Thomas S. Dye <tsd-P0awH739Ni4AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> What is an ECM?
>
> I don't know how widespread it is in French-speaking milieus, but I believe
> Seb Vauban is responsible for introducing it into this mailing list (see
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/16375/focus=16453 and its parent
> thread) and Nicolas Goaziou has perpetuated its use: it stands for Exemple
> Complet Minimal (= Minimal Complete Example). Between the two of them,
> they'll drag us all through remedial French class :-)

Yes, I think I am responsible for this viral marketing of using the term ECM
here. It comes from the excellent FCTT newsgroup (french.comp.text.tex) about
LaTeX.

I must admit this term, when understood, is excellent for describing what we
expect from people posting questions about troubles.

(Free) translation/explanation of the concept of "Exemple Complet Minimal":

    When you encounter a problem, when Org does not output what you expect, it
    is essential to attach to the problem description an example of code that
    allows reproducing it. This example should be complete and minimal, if
    possible, this is called ECM.

    - Complete :: the example should be usable without adding a single line.

      In particular, your Org files must contain the basic headers, the
      SEQ_TODO customizations, etc., whatever is needed to reproduce the
      problem.

    - Minimal :: the example does not contain any redundant or useless code.

      This implies that this is not your entire Org file of 300 pages. It is
      essential to remove all the things that are not necessary to reproduce
      the problem.

> Maybe it should go into the FAQ...

Could be, yes. Using the French acronym, or "inventing" MCE?  I stand for ECM.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: Footnotes in LaTeX export
@ 2011-04-27 13:53         ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2011-04-27 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: public-emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Sébastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf-geNee64TY+gS+FvcfC7Uqw@public.gmane.org>
writes:

> Hi Nick and all,
>
> Nick Dokos wrote:
>> Thomas S. Dye <tsd-P0awH739Ni4AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>> What is an ECM?
>>
>> I don't know how widespread it is in French-speaking milieus, but I believe
>> Seb Vauban is responsible for introducing it into this mailing list (see
>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/16375/focus=16453 and its parent
>> thread) and Nicolas Goaziou has perpetuated its use: it stands for Exemple
>> Complet Minimal (= Minimal Complete Example). Between the two of them,
>> they'll drag us all through remedial French class :-)
>
> Yes, I think I am responsible for this viral marketing of using the term ECM
> here. It comes from the excellent FCTT newsgroup (french.comp.text.tex) about
> LaTeX.
>
> I must admit this term, when understood, is excellent for describing what we
> expect from people posting questions about troubles.

[...]

>> Maybe it should go into the FAQ...
>
> Could be, yes. Using the French acronym, or "inventing" MCE?  I stand for ECM.

Thanks for this explanation, Seb!

I wrote an FAQ about it:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#ecm

I also wrote up a few FAQs that might be helpful for new users:

- Can Org-mode do "x"? Does org have "x" feature?
  + http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#can-org-do-x
  + Provides tips on where to look to see if org has a particular
    feature.
  + A friendly version of RTFM. :)

- I think my Org-mode is broken! How do I report a bug?
  + http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#bug-reporting

- What should I do before contacting the mailing list?

Please feel free to edit (or send me patches) as you see fit.

Best,
Matt

* Re: Footnotes in LaTeX export
@ 2011-04-27 19:20           ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2011-04-27 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Matt,

Matt Lundin wrote:
> Sébastien Vauban writes:
>> Hi Nick and all,
>>
>> Nick Dokos wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't know how widespread it is in French-speaking milieus, but I believe
>>> Seb Vauban is responsible for introducing it into this mailing list (see
>>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/16375/focus=16453 and its parent
>>> thread) and Nicolas Goaziou has perpetuated its use: it stands for Exemple
>>> Complet Minimal (= Minimal Complete Example). Between the two of them,
>>> they'll drag us all through remedial French class :-)
>>
>> Yes, I think I am responsible for this viral marketing of using the term ECM
>> here. It comes from the excellent FCTT newsgroup (french.comp.text.tex) about
>> LaTeX.
>>
>> I must admit this term, when understood, is excellent for describing what we
>> expect from people posting questions about troubles.
>>

> [...]
>
>>> Maybe it should go into the FAQ...
>>
>> Could be, yes. Using the French acronym, or "inventing" MCE?  I stand for ECM.
>
> Thanks for this explanation, Seb!
>
> I wrote an FAQ about it:
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#ecm
>
> I also wrote up a few FAQs that might be helpful for new users:
>
> - Can Org-mode do "x"? Does org have "x" feature?
>   + http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#can-org-do-x
>   + Provides tips on where to look to see if org has a particular
>     feature.
>   + A friendly version of RTFM. :)
>
> - I think my Org-mode is broken! How do I report a bug?
>   + http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#bug-reporting
>
> - What should I do before contacting the mailing list?
>
> Please feel free to edit (or send me patches) as you see fit.

Excellent additions. Nothing to add right now. Thanks for us!

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: Footnotes in LaTeX export
@ 2011-04-28 16:50   ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2011-04-28 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Org Mode

Aloha Nicolas,

On Apr 26, 2011, at 8:38 AM, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:

> Hello,
>
> "Thomas S. Dye" <tsd@tsdye.com> writes:
>
>> I'm exporting a subtree to LaTeX and am having problems with
>> footnotes.
>>
>> 1) If I enter a footnote with C-c C-x f everything works as expected
>> in the Org-mode buffer, but on export the actual footnote is replaced
>> by a message something like FOOTNOTE DEFINITION NOT FOUND.
>>
>> 2) I can workaround this problem by using an inline definition, eg.
>> [fn:: My footnote.].  However, the citation links that I use
>> elsewhere
>> in the document, defined as set out in
>> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-latex-export.html#sec-17_2_1
>> ,
>> are broken inside the footnote.  The same code that yields
>> \citep{wilmshurst11:_high_east_polyn} in regular text yields
>> \citep{wilmshurst11:_high$_{\mathrm{east}}$$_{\mathrm{polyn}}$ }
>> inside the footnote.
>>
>> I'm using Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.4.624.gab9f9) with a patch
>> for captions (which I submitted a while back) and another for org-
>> bibtex recently developed by Eric Schulte (neither of which should
>> have an effect on footnotes, I believe).
>
> There has been recently some work done on footnotes, in particular
> regarding latex export. Could you upgrade your Org version ?
>
> If it still doesn't work, please post an ECM, I will have a look at
> it.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Nicolas Goaziou

I *think* this is an ECM.  I appreciate your offer to look at the
problem.

Org-mode version 7.5 (release_7.5.229.g88a32)

* ECM
** Define link
Source the following code with C-c C-c
#+source: define-citep-link
#+begin_src emacs-lisp :results silent
     (org-add-link-type
      "citep" 'ebib
      (lambda (path desc format)
        (cond
         ((eq format 'html)
          (format "(<cite>%s</cite>)" path))
         ((eq format 'latex)
          (if (or (not desc) (equal 0 (search "citep:" desc)))
                (format "\\citep{%s}" path)
                (format "\\citep[%s]{%s}" desc path)
   )))))
#+end_src
** Export subtree to LaTeX
This link is fine [[citep:link_with_underscore]], but the one in the
footnote is not OK.[fn:: A bad link [[citep:link_with_underscore]].]

LaTeX export:

This link is fine \citep{link_with_underscore}, but the one in the
footnote is not OK.\footnote{A bad link [[citep:link\_{}with
\_{}underscore }].]

All the best,
Tom