* How to sort by tags
@ 2006-08-28  9:42 Pete Phillips
From: Pete Phillips @ 2006-08-28  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Morning all.

I use the org-agenda facility to set up groups of tags so that I can hit
'C-c a h' to produce an agenda buffer with all my Home life tags:

Headlines with TAGS match: +LaptopH|PhoneH|Home|Sofa|ComputerH|WaitingH|Shopping|DIY
Press `C-u r' to search again with new search string
  TODO:       Cut Lawns                              :DIY:
  TODO:       Revise - top and tail Job Description A4C !!! :LaptopH:
  TODO:       Buy USB 2.0 card for Computer (£19 Opal) :Shopping:
  TODO:       Rake Moss                              :DIY:
  TODO:       Prices for USB/Firewire disk for home backup (Opal £26 enclosure, £59 120Gb) :Shopping:

etc etc

I'd like to be able to sort and group by tags, so that, for example, all
the DIY jobs would print together. Some sort of optional separator
between groups would also be nice ..... :-)  Eg:

__DIY__
  TODO:       Cut Lawns                              :DIY:
  TODO:       Rake Moss                              :DIY:

__LaptopH__
  TODO:       Revise - top and tail Job Description A4C !!! :LaptopH:

__Shopping__
  TODO:       Buy USB 2.0 card for Computer (£19 Opal) :Shopping:
  TODO:       Prices for USB/Firewire disk for home backup (Opal £26 enclosure, £59 120Gb) :Shopping:

I can't seem to find any functionality of this type. Have I missed
something obvious ?

Pete

* Re: How to sort by tags
@ 2006-08-28 10:45 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-08-28 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pete Phillips; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sorting by tag has been on my todo list already for a long time, but
has not materialized because I don't have a reasonable idea on how
items with multiple tags should be handed.  Good ideas on this will
probably trigger implementation :-)

- Carsten

On Aug 28, 2006, at 11:42, Pete Phillips wrote:

> Morning all.
>
> I use the org-agenda facility to set up groups of tags so that I can
> hit
> 'C-c a h' to produce an agenda buffer with all my Home life tags:

> Headlines with TAGS match:
> +LaptopH|PhoneH|Home|Sofa|ComputerH|WaitingH|Shopping|DIY
> Press `C-u r' to search again with new search string
>   TODO:       Cut Lawns                              :DIY:
>   TODO:       Revise - top and tail Job Description A4C !!! :LaptopH:
>   TODO:       Buy USB 2.0 card for Computer (£19 Opal) :Shopping:
>   TODO:       Rake Moss                              :DIY:
>   TODO:       Prices for USB/Firewire disk for home backup (Opal £26
> enclosure, £59 120Gb) :Shopping:
>
> etc etc
>
> I'd like to be able to sort and group by tags, so that, for example,
> all
> the DIY jobs would print together. Some sort of optional separator
> between groups would also be nice ..... :-)  Eg:

> __DIY__
>   TODO:       Cut Lawns                              :DIY:
>   TODO:       Rake Moss                              :DIY:
>
> __LaptopH__
>   TODO:       Revise - top and tail Job Description A4C !!! :LaptopH:
>
> __Shopping__
>   TODO:       Buy USB 2.0 card for Computer (£19 Opal) :Shopping:
>   TODO:       Prices for USB/Firewire disk for home backup (Opal £26
> enclosure, £59 120Gb) :Shopping:
>
> I can't seem to find any functionality of this type. Have I missed
> something obvious ?
>
> Pete

Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
phone: +31 20 525 7477

* Re: How to sort by tags
@ 2006-08-28 12:36   ` Pete Phillips
From: Pete Phillips @ 2006-08-28 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

    Carsten> Sorting by tag has been on my todo list already for a long
    Carsten> time, but has not materialized because I don't have a
    Carsten> reasonable idea on how items with multiple tags should be
    Carsten> handed.  Good ideas on this will probably trigger
    Carsten> implementation :-)

Well as it happens, I have an idea .....  :-)

If you implemented some sort of grouping, multiply tagged items would
appear in each group. So if I had:

       *** Cut the Lawns :DIY:Home:

It would appear as:

__DIY__

   Cut the Lawns

__Home_

   Cut the Lawns

This makes sense to me anyway. Because I use Tags as contexts, it means
that something with multiple contexts appears in each of those contexts.

Pete

* Re: How to sort by tags
@ 2006-08-28 12:50     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-08-28 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pete Phillips; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Yes, with tags as context this would make sense......

Other input, anyone?

- Carsten

--

@ 2006-08-28 14:59       ` Piotr Zielinski
From: Piotr Zielinski @ 2006-08-28 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 28/08/06, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
> Yes, with tags as context this would make sense......
>
> Other input, anyone?

Sorting by tags might be thought of as a special case of multi-block
agenda buffer, in which you can execute multiple agenda commands
without erasing the buffer.  For example, you can use org-agenda first
to list all the items tagged "work" and then all the items tagged
"home".  The only change in the current implementation would be not to
erase the agenda buffer.  This approach would require one org buffer
scan for each keyword, which might be inefficient.

The advantage of this approach is that it leaves it up to the user how
do deal with multi-tagged entries.  If an element tagged ":work:home:"
should appear under both "work" and "home", then the user would
specify the block list to be '("work" "home").  If such elements
should appear only in "work", the specification would be ("work"
"+work-home").  Alternatively, we can put elements ":work:home:" into
a separate list by specifying three lists ("+work-home" "+home-work"
"+work+home").  In general, without prior knowledge about the
semantics of tags, choosing one of those approaches automatically will
be difficult.

Finally, having the whole power of the org-agenda and tag matching,
one could construct more sophisticated blocks, for example, consisting
of all ":work:" entries that are TODO at the same time.

Piotr