Wasn't going to say anything but at risk of sticking my foot in my mouth: I learned that the convention for naming backups in Emacs is they end in ~. Is it possible that if this is done, Emacs will automatically use the mechanism that is available to keep a given number of old versions and a given number of new versions? For example, I have this in my .emacs: (setq kept-old-versions 2) (setq kept-new-versions 4) (setq delete-old-versions t) Alan Davis "An inviscid theory of flow renders the screw useless, but the need for one non-existent." ---Lord Raleigh (John William Strutt), or else his son, who was also a scientist. It is undesirable to believe a proposition when there is no ground whatsoever for supposing it is true. ---- Bertrand Russell On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 9:29 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote: > > On Mar 24, 2009, at 4:29 AM, Samuel Wales wrote: > > On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 08:16, Carsten Dominik >> wrote: >> >>> I have now added a variable `org-remember-backup-directory'. >>> Set this to a directory, and every remember buffer >>> you create will end up in a separate file, with date >>> and time in the file name, so that you can always recover. >>> >> >> That is perfect. Thank you. >> >> Note that, if you use remember frequently, you will create >>> a lot of these files. So maybe we need to think of an expiry >>> mechanism? Like, remove any files older than a few days? >>> >> >> As one possibility, how about removing the file once the contents are >> successfully moved to their target locations? >> > > Of course! I will do that. > > >> After that, >> >> (when (plusp number) >> (message "you have %s saved remember files" number)) >> > > Hmmm. When should this happen? Not after a > successful remember process, I'd say..... > > - Carsten > > > >> -- >> Myalgic encephalomyelitis denialism is causing death (decades early; >> Jason et al. 2006) and severe suffering (worse than nearly all other >> diseases studied; e.g. Schweitzer et al. 1995) and grossly corrupting >> science. http://www.meactionuk.org.uk/What_Is_ME_What_Is_CFS.htm >> > >