I've gotten into a bit of a bind on sorting. A little explanation: I've been working at keeping the ~/org directory of three machines syncronized through a master repo on a USB flash drive. I've made a bit of progress, and for simple updates, it is basically working. I still don't grok merging conflicts. I've finally ended up with a file with duplicates of entries, so I thought of concatenating files, then sorting these entries. Each entry has a date (made from a remember template), so sorting by date makes sense. Ideally, one should be able to do this, and then sort with C-u C-u C-c^. I've tried this several times, and gotten bitten almost every time. I guess the dates can only be sorted as text. And duplicates are not removed. I read the manual, but little help was gotten there. What do I need to know to make sorting work, and what I might be doing wrong? Thanks for previous suggestions. Alan -- Alan Davis It is undesirable to believe a proposition when there is no ground whatsoever for supposing it is true. ---- Bertrand Russell They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea. ---- Sir Francis Bacon