* Question About Nuking The Priority Of A Task After Its Been Marked As 'DONE'
@ 2021-12-10 18:55 Samuel Banya
From: Samuel Banya @ 2021-12-10 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hey there,

I often change states of my todo list items to 'DONE', 'CANCELLED', etc.

However, one thing I would want to know is this:
- Is it possible to automatically delete the '#' priority value of a task after a task has been marked as 'DONE', 'CANCELLED', etc?

Is this done via a hook function?

Thanks,

Sam

* Re: Question About Nuking The Priority Of A Task After Its Been Marked As 'DONE'
@ 2021-12-10 22:51 ` Peter Hardy
From: Peter Hardy @ 2021-12-10 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, 11 Dec 2021, at 5:55 AM, Samuel Banya wrote:
> However, one thing I would want to know is this:
> - Is it possible to automatically delete the '#' priority value of a task after a task has been marked as 'DONE', 'CANCELLED', etc?
>
> Is this done via a hook function?

Probably!

The org documentation (https://orgmode.org/worg/doc.html) includes a list of all of the hooks it supports. If you search it you'll find `org-after-todo-state-change-hook`, which seems to be exactly what you need. Keep digging, and you'll find the `org-priority` function to set an item's priority.

Looks like all you'd need to do is write a hook function to check the new state, and then change the priority.

--
Peter

* Re: Question About Nuking The Priority Of A Task After Its Been Marked As 'DONE'
@ 2021-12-11 12:49 ` Samuel Loury
From: Samuel Loury @ 2021-12-11 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Banya, emacs-orgmode

"Samuel Banya" <sbanya@fastmail.com> writes:

> I often change states of my todo list items to 'DONE', 'CANCELLED', etc.
>
> However, one thing I would want to know is this:
> - Is it possible to automatically delete the '#' priority value of a task after a task has been marked as 'DONE', 'CANCELLED', etc?
>
> Is this done via a hook function?

To do it globally:

(defun my/org-trigger-hook (change-plist)
  (let* ((type (plist-get change-plist :type))
         (pos (plist-get change-plist :position))
         (from (substring-no-properties (or (plist-get change-plist :from) "")))
         (to (substring-no-properties (or (plist-get change-plist :to) "")))
         )
    (when (and
           (eq type 'todo-state-change)
           (member to org-done-keywords)
           (member from org-not-done-keywords)
           )
      (org-priority (string-to-char " "))
      )
    )
  )

(add-hook #'org-trigger-hook
          #'my/org-trigger-hook)

But if, like me, you want to define this behavior per task, this is one
of the purposes of org-edna. I suggest you try it.

I your particular example, you would simply set the TRIGGER property of
the task for which you want to delete the priority to this content

* NEXT [#B] some task
:PROPERTIES:
:TRIGGER: self() set-priority!(" ")
:END:

Closing it would result in

* DONE some task
  CLOSED: [2021-12-11 Sat 13:38]
:PROPERTIES:
:TRIGGER: self() set-priority!(" ")
:END:

Of course, it also work for repeated task or any complicated scenario
I have tried so far.

I hope that helps,
--
Konubinix
GPG Key    : 7439106A

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Question About Nuking The Priority Of A Task After Its Been Marked As 'DONE'
@ 2021-12-11 17:51   ` Samuel Banya
From: Samuel Banya @ 2021-12-11 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Loury, Charles Berry

Hey Konibunix!

Thanks a ton for this, this looks fun as heck to implement :)

I'll have to try this on my config sometime next week. Thanks a ton for this, bookmarking this post for now.

Love it :)

@ 2021-12-17 18:38     ` Samuel Banya
From: Samuel Banya @ 2021-12-17 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Berry