On 21 mrt. 2013, at 10:05, 42 147 wrote: > Thanks David, but what Carsten suggested completely resolved my problem (it > applies not just to bookmarks; it fully preserves my buffer's folded state > after adding Christoph's code to my .emacs). I don't think it preserves a state. It constructs one, and you happen to like it. :) - Carsten > But I should also thank you > for finding the words I struggled to find ("folded state"). > > I feel honored that royalty stepped into the discussion. > > Herzlichen Dank, > > 42 > > > 2013/3/21 Carsten Dominik > > On 20.3.2013, at 19:28, 42 147 wrote: > >> > (require 'saveplace) >> > (setq-default save-place t) >> >> > works for me. It just opens the place where I had the point, nothing >> > more, but that's what I need most. >> >> This is more convenient than Emacs bookmarks, but still breaks org-mode to >> a certain extent: all non top-level headlines below point are hidden. At >> least for me. >> > > Org-mode has very precise control for situations when a jump into invisible text happens, for example by isearch or by bookmark-jump or saveplace. Take a look at the variable org-show-siblings and set a special context for bookmark-jump, that should do it. This will work for both saveplace and bookmarks. > > You can do this with customize, or just like this: > > (setq org-show-siblings '((default) (isearch t) (bookmark-jump . t))) > > There are companion variables, they are all in the customization group org-reveal-context. > > - Carsten >