From: Juergen Fenn <jfenn@gmx.net>
To: Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: [ANN] Org mode 9.7 is out
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2024 23:17:35 +0200	[thread overview]

Am 02.06.24 um 22:11 Uhr schrieb Ihor Radchenko:
> Juergen Fenn <jfenn@gmx.net> writes:
>
>>> Org normally asks you what format to insert, if multiple formats are
>>> available from clipboard.
>> Well, the image I used is this one. It was available because I had
>> downloaded it the other day:
>>
>> https://www.europeana.eu/fr/item/2021012/_42FFE0B5C39B7F9819D6D3692B2F4154
>>
>> The format is jpg. I have no idea why I get a tiff attachment when I try
>> to include a local jpg file. Maybe the macOS clipboard offers several
>> formats and Emacs/Org choses one option because it is offered first or
>> for some other reason? Or some kind of conversion plays into this on the
>> system level when copying to Emacs? Or there is something wrong or
>> unsusual with the jpg file, perhaps it was a tiff file in the first
>> place, later converted to jpg. I do not know.
>
> Even Linux clipboard offers several formats if I copy from browser.
> After M-x yank-media, I get "Several types, available, choose one:"
> prompt, with options to choose from png/pbm/xbm/xpm/jpeg format. I
> guess it is also tiff in your case. Just choose another format in that
> prompt.

I'm afraid I forgot to mention that I don't get prompted, and I did not
copy the image from my webbrowser. Rather, I downloaded the jpg file
over Europeana's proxy from Finnish National Library and then copied
this one with Command-c in Finder (the macOS file manager) from local
system SSD. I do not understand how the tiff comes in here. But is is
there in the data folder Org created. I tried to open it in Preview, I
even changed the file ending to .jpg, but I cannot open it. The tiff
file seems to be corrupt.

>> There is one more thing: My Emacs init time has got slightly longer
>> since updating to Org 9.7.1 from ~1.9 to 2.273441 seconds. I
>> re-installed Org and the depending packages, as you recommended
>> (org-contrib, org-static-blog). No more changes, same setup as before.
>
> As it usually goes with the config, it can be anything.
> Use profiler to reveal the cause.
>
> One blind guess could be that Org mode loads more built-in libraries
> (like yank-media library) now. So, loading might be slower. Not sure
> about 0.4 seconds slower.
>
> In future versions, I have a plan to rework the way Org mode loads,
> aiming for faster load times among other things. (this is annoyingly
> difficult task; like 300+-commits-and-no-end-in-sight level annoying)

No need to worry about that.

Thanks, again. Have a good start to the new week.

Regards,
Jürgen.