* Bug Tracker?
@ 2008-04-21 21:38 Jeff Mickey
From: Jeff Mickey @ 2008-04-21 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I was thinking about this earlier after I saw emacs integration for
ditz (a distributed issue tracker).

I'm currently working on several personal projects, and while I do
appreciate the GTD model for one list of things to do, it is not
practical when I intend for these personal projects to eventually
become larger and have other contributors.

I was wondering if anyone uses Org-Mode to track bugs in their
software, and if there were any nifty things you did to make it work a
bit smoother.  I'd like to have a /bugs.org or /issues.org at the top
of my source tree, and track bugs there with org-mode.  Any
suggestions on the best practices for this?

    //  jeff
--
. : [ + carpe diem totus tuus + ] : .

* Re: Bug Tracker?
@ 2008-04-22  9:04 ` Pete Phillips
From: Pete Phillips @ 2008-04-22  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Mickey; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Jeff

    Jeff> I was wondering if anyone uses Org-Mode to track bugs in their
    Jeff> software, and if there were any nifty things you did to make
    Jeff> it work a bit smoother.  I'd like to have a /bugs.org or
    Jeff> /issues.org at the top of my source tree, and track bugs there
    Jeff> with org-mode.  Any suggestions on the best practices for
    Jeff> this?

Well not exactly bug tracking, but we have recently started using an
org-mode file as our System log for our IT stuff in conjunction with
git.

I've attached a snippet of the file. We set up a git repo on one of
our internal file servers, and then by pulling it to our laptops we
can work on the log, and then push it back to the file server on a
regular basis. git takes care of syncing everything for us (well,
works so far).  Also, that means if the server crashes at least one of
us will have the most recent entry on a laptop.

Top level headers = months, ** = the date, and then *** = each problem
we deal with on that date.  we use tags to note who made the entry.

Pretty sure you could use something similar for bugs.

Pete

#+TAGS:
#+TAGS: pete(p) jonny(j)
#+TITLE: SMTL Sys Admin Log - 2008
#+INFOJS_OPT: view:info

* Jan
** [2008-01-22 Tue]
*** xxx xxxx unable to access intranet

Asked xx to ssh to xxx.xxx.xx.xxx, success this indicates that it's not
a firewall or ssh issue. I suspect its a DNS issue, asked xx for the
output of cat /etc/hosts and echo $SHELL the latter to get socks info if
in login script, hosts file returned no output asked Jo to stat the file
it returned empty. Found a filed copy of xx's hosts file asked her to
amend this to /etc/hosts. Intranet access returned.

*** Issue with tiger scripts

kept getting emails:

:      From: root@smtl.co.uk (Cron Daemon)
:      To: root@smtl.co.uk
:      Subject: Cron <root@xxxxxx>    test -x /usr/sbin/tigercron && /usr/sbin/tigercron -q
:      Configured working directory /var/run/tiger/work does not exist

Fixed (i hope) by adding:

:      # need to make this directory for tiger to run
:      # PJP Wed Apr  2 13:19:58 BST 2008  pete@smtl.co.uk
:      mkdir -p /var/run/tiger/work/

to /etc/rc.local

* Bug Tracker?
@ 2018-11-05 19:51 Ken Mankoff
From: Ken Mankoff @ 2018-11-05 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Hi Org List,

Is there some sort of official bug tracker for Org? Or is it just emails to this list? I'm asking because I have a simple reproducible bug that has been around for a few months now, and I'm wondering if I didn't submit the bug in the right place/form/way/etc.

I'm pretty sure it was submitted correctly (via org-submit-bug-report). Perhaps it is just a low priority and I didn't include a patch. In which case is the bug lost from our communal memory, or is there at least a place where it is properly filed as "open"?

Thanks,

  -k.

* Re: Bug Tracker?
@ 2018-11-05 20:55 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2018-11-05 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Mankoff; +Cc: Org-mode

Hello,

Ken Mankoff <mankoff@gmail.com> writes:

> Is there some sort of official bug tracker for Org? Or is it just
> emails to this list? I'm asking because I have a simple reproducible
> bug that has been around for a few months now, and I'm wondering if
> I didn't submit the bug in the right place/form/way/etc.

There is no official bug tracker. However, Emacs has one. You can send
a bug report there, too, if it relates to the Org version shipping with
Emacs.

Otherwise, the bug tracker is the mailing list archives.

> I'm pretty sure it was submitted correctly (via
> org-submit-bug-report). Perhaps it is just a low priority and I didn't
> include a patch. In which case is the bug lost from our communal
> memory, or is there at least a place where it is properly filed as
> "open"?

AFAICT, it felt through the cracks. You may want to bump it.

Nicolas Goaziou