* import xls(x) into org on MacOS
@ 2021-05-31 11:18 Uwe Brauer
       [not found] ` <87czt72gru.fsf@gmail.com>
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2021-05-31 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

I am usually using Ubuntu 16.04, but for the coming days, I have to use
a MacBook, running 10.15 and fink installed.
I usually convert xls(x) to org, using
 '(org-odt-convert-process "gnumeric")
 '(org-odt-convert-processes '(("gnumeric" "/usr/bin/ssconvert %i %o")))

But gnumeric does not exist in fink, does anybody know about an
alternative?
(Yes I know I should have used macports or homebrew, but now it is too
late).

Regards

Uwe Brauer

* Re: import xls(x) into org on MacOS
       [not found] ` <87czt72gru.fsf@gmail.com>
@ 2021-06-01  6:41   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2021-06-01  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeremie Juste; +Cc: Uwe Brauer, emacs-orgmode

>>> "JJ" == Jeremie Juste <jeremiejuste@gmail.com> writes:

Hello Jeremie

> Hello Uwe,
> If you have python or R at hand you might want to go for this option.
> In R you would so something like.

Thanks, I first tried out the python solution, so I installed

    1. Xlsx2csv that works fine for xlsx fine but not, as the name
       indicates, xls

    2. So I tried out  csvkit, which should, in principle, also convert
       xls files, well for the xls files I used, it did not.

So in summary, there are solutions for xlsx but I struggle fo find one
for xls. (I most likely could try out unconv from libre office, that
however is sort of slow).

Regards

Uwe

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: import xls(x) into org on MacOS
@ 2021-06-01  7:05     ` Greg Minshall
From: Greg Minshall @ 2021-06-01  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Uwe,

i don't know if it will work for you, but on my linux box i use
=ssconvert= from the =gnumeric= package to convert from .xls to .csv.
in one project, the make rule looks like
----
${BDIRCSVS}/%.csv: xlsxs/%.xlsx
	ssconvert -T Gnumeric_stf:stf_csv $< fd://1 | \
		awk '{ \
				line = line $$0; \
				ol = line; \
				gsub("[^\"]", "", ol); \
				if (length(ol)%2==0) { \
					print line; \
					line = "" \
				} \
			}' | \
		grep '^,' | \
		grep -v '^,,*$$' > $@
----
(i could probably puzzle out why the awk and greps, but i don't recall
at the moment.)

cheers, Greg

* Re: import xls(x) into org on MacOS
@ 2021-06-01  8:51       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2021-06-01  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Minshall; +Cc: Uwe Brauer, emacs-orgmode

>>> "GM" == Greg Minshall <minshall@umich.edu> writes:

Hi Greg

> Uwe,
> i don't know if it will work for you, but on my linux box i use
> =ssconvert= from the =gnumeric= package to convert from .xls to .csv.
> in one project, the make rule looks like

Right this is what I also use in Ubuntu, but in fink there is no gnumeric, while
in macports and homebrew there is (no it is a bit late to switch).

I usually have to convert rather simple stuff like list of students,
that is why I most likely can do it with a simpler approach that yours.

Uwe

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

@ 2021-06-01 11:47 ` Nick Savage
From: Nick Savage @ 2021-06-01 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

If you're looking to go the python route of importing an xls file, you
could try the xlrd package. It's actually just for xls. I'm not sure if
it converts to csv, but once you have the spreadsheet open in python
that should be a pretty trivial exercise.

Cheers,

Nick

@ 2021-06-03  7:13   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2021-06-03  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)