* progress display in check lists
@ 2006-08-10 15:27 Eddward DeVilla
From: Eddward DeVilla @ 2006-08-10 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

    I've been using org mode for a few months and am far from
mastering it.  I am moving off of another app call hnb that did
outlining.  I prefer org mode to hnb but there things that I miss from
hnb.  One of them was that check list would display status.  For
instance, if I had the list...

    [_] Stooges
      [_] Larry
      [_] Curly
      [_] Moe

... and I check one entry, say Moe, the Stooges line would also get
updated like so...

  33% Stooges
      [_] Larry
      [_] Curly
      [X] Moe

And then I could collapse Stooges and still have a feel for what's
left.  Likewise, I could then add an entry 'Shemp' under stooges and
the percentage would change to 25% automatically.  For the case of
multiple nesting it would just blinding could all check boxes under
it.

  20% Stooges       <<< 1 out of 5 check box entries
    [_] Fine
      [_] Larry
    50% Howard
      [_] Curly
      [X] Moe

Also, at any point I could just go and check Stooges, regardless of
the state of the entries under it.

Is there a similar feature in org that I haven't found yet?  If not
would it be difficult to add something like it.  Maybe even something
explicit where I could type ...

   - [%] Stooges
     - [_] Larry
     - [_] Curly
     - [_] Moe

... and then org would add/update the percentage before the '%'.?

* Re: progress display in check lists
@ 2006-08-18  8:44 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-08-18  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eddward DeVilla; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

This stuff is not yet possible.  I have had a few more questions in the
direction of DONE statistics.  Myself, I am not really convinced how
useful this would be, mainly because different TODO items can mean
totally different amounts of work.
But I am putting it on my list and will give it some more thinking.  If
other people have thoughs about it, please share them.

- Carsten

> Hi,
>
>    I've been using org mode for a few months and am far from
> mastering it.  I am moving off of another app call hnb that did
> outlining.  I prefer org mode to hnb but there things that I miss from
> hnb.  One of them was that check list would display status.  For
> instance, if I had the list...
>
>    [_] Stooges
>      [_] Larry
>      [_] Curly
>      [_] Moe
>
> ... and I check one entry, say Moe, the Stooges line would also get
> updated like so...
>
>  33% Stooges
>      [_] Larry
>      [_] Curly
>      [X] Moe
>
> And then I could collapse Stooges and still have a feel for what's
> left.  Likewise, I could then add an entry 'Shemp' under stooges and
> the percentage would change to 25% automatically.  For the case of
> multiple nesting it would just blinding could all check boxes under
> it.
>
>  20% Stooges       <<< 1 out of 5 check box entries
>    [_] Fine
>      [_] Larry
>    50% Howard
>      [_] Curly
>      [X] Moe
>
> Also, at any point I could just go and check Stooges, regardless of
> the state of the entries under it.
>
> Is there a similar feature in org that I haven't found yet?  If not
> would it be difficult to add something like it.  Maybe even something
> explicit where I could type ...
>
>   - [%] Stooges
>     - [_] Larry
>     - [_] Curly
>     - [_] Moe
>
> ... and then org would add/update the percentage before the '%'.?

Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
NL-1098SJ Amsterdam