* Org mode as contact DB/Log ?
@ 2006-08-27 17:59 Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2006-08-27 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I am trying to feed my BBDB file with personnal and profesionnal
contacts.

I have difficulties doing so (phone format is not clear in my mind)
and thus I was thinking I could use org-mode to manage my contacts.

Does any of you are doing this ? Do you have ideas to share on that
topic ?

My idea is to use Org as contact DB plus having tools to manage a
contact log (when did I call Mr X ? what did we talk about ? ...)

WDYT ?

Xavier

* Re: Org mode as contact DB/Log ?
@ 2006-08-27 20:07 ` Adrian Aichner
From: Adrian Aichner @ 2006-08-27 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu.org> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to feed my BBDB file with personnal and profesionnal
> contacts.
>
> I have difficulties doing so (phone format is not clear in my mind)

Hi Xavier, have you
(setq bbdb-north-american-phone-numbers-p nil)
yet, which should allow you to enter numbers not conforming to
american conventions?

I keep my Outlook contacts (for my PocketPC phone) and my BBDB (which
is the master, of course) in sync by ediffing CSV exports of both.

Both BBDB and Outlook are happy with an international phone number
format of
+CountryCode (AreaCode) RemainingNumbersSeparatedByHyphenOrSpace

And the mobile phone services know how to interpret the + between
varying countries of source and destination of the call.

Works for me.

I'm using planner/muse, which has planner-bbdb.el, but I'm not using
that particular feature yet.

Thanks for planting that seed in my brain!

Adrian

--
Adrian Aichner
 mailto:adrian@xemacs.org

* Re: Org mode as contact DB/Log ?
@ 2006-08-28  3:45 Charles Cave
From: Charles Cave @ 2006-08-28  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Maillard; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Xavier,

I have no idea what a BBDB file is but I do use org-mode to manage my contacts.

Each contact is a heading then I keep information with one data field
per line identified with a letter. This is useful for generating compact printouts
for my planner folder.

A: Address
H: Home phone number
W: Word Phone number
B: Birthdate
M: Mobile (cell) Phone number
E: Email address (not used much since email addresses live inside
    my Thunderbird or Gmail account.
F: Fax

For example:

** John Smith
A: 200 Pacific Highway, North Sydney, NSW 2070
H: 9433 7645
W:908 75431
B:10-May-1960
E:
jsmith@somewhere.com

Notes about the contact go here

I used to structure the contacts under major headings of Family,
Friends, School, Work related, Financial, Restaurants,  but I am going
to rework this using org-mode tags for various categories. A useful tag
would be for Christmas card lists/

@ 2006-08-28  7:07 ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2006-08-28  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

2006/8/28, Charles Cave <charles_cave@optusnet.com.au>:

> Xavier,
>
> I have no idea what a BBDB file is but I do use org-mode to manage my
> contacts.

BBDB is  a poweful contact manager with  many features and possibility to
use its data from many other emacs mode.

Each contact is a heading then I keep information with one data field
> per line identified with a letter. This is useful for generating compact
> printouts
> for my planner folder.

This is how I would do it too but I need to think more about that.

This is of high interest for me except I need something that can interact
with mail-mode and things like that. In fact I really need something to
replace my current BBDB setup and thus be able to mail a contact, do linking
from a contact to an org file, ...

Regards
--
Xavier Maillard

* Re: Org mode as contact DB/Log ?
@ 2006-08-28 10:01   ` Chris Lowis
From: Chris Lowis @ 2006-08-28 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> This is of high interest for me except I need something that can interact
> with mail-mode and things like that. In fact I really need something to
> replace my current BBDB setup and thus be able to mail a contact, do linking
> from a contact to an org file, ...

There was some talk a while ago about just such a system based on
Muse-mode. Perhaps if this project were to get off the ground it could
have the option to use either muse mode, or org-mode as a "backend" .

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/MuseContacts

Chris

* Re: Org mode as contact DB/Log ?
@ 2006-08-28 10:41     ` Xavier Maillard