* Consolidation of file-based TODOs
@ 2006-08-24  8:06 Chris Lowis
From: Chris Lowis @ 2006-08-24  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I am a happy user of Org-mode. Recently I was thinking of an
improvement to the way I work with it, and wondered if any other users
have tried this, or have thoughts.

I like to add "TODO" and "FIXME" type comments throughout the code and
LaTeX documents I am working on. What would be nice is if these could
automatically be added to my .org file. Ideally the "*" Project
Heading could be derived either from the file name, or the directory
(for multiple files that constitute a single "project" ) . Something
like

* ~/work/writing/Thesis.tex
** TODO - work on this section
** TODO - fix this caption

* ~work/source_code/project1/
** TODO - source_file1.c - verify this works
** TODO - source_file2.c - add new algorithm here

..etc. I thought about writing a shell-type script to do this, but a
native elisp extension to org-mode would be much cleaner, and perhaps
of use to other people. I'm not quite sure how to begin though.

Thank you,

Chris

--
Chris Lowis
http://www.chrislowis.co.uk/

* Re: Consolidation of file-based TODOs
@ 2006-08-24 13:56 ` Jason F. McBrayer
       [not found]   ` <6d92fa980608260205u6ae95ccem3ded9c190f7e0b0b@mail.gmail.com>
From: Jason F. McBrayer @ 2006-08-24 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Chris Lowis" <chris@chrislowis.co.uk> writes:

> I like to add "TODO" and "FIXME" type comments throughout the code and
> LaTeX documents I am working on. What would be nice is if these could
> automatically be added to my .org file. Ideally the "*" Project
> Heading could be derived either from the file name, or the directory
> (for multiple files that constitute a single "project" ) . Something
> like

This seems like a good time to use org-remember.  Set up a template
for this type of entry, etc.  You'll have to select the project
heading to put it under semi-manually, but everything else, like
linking to the file and line you're editing will be handled
automatically.

| Jason F. McBrayer                    jmcbray@carcosa.net  |
| A flower falls, even though we love it; and a weed grows, |
| even though we do not love it.            -- Dogen        |

* Fwd: Consolidation of file-based TODOs
       [not found]   ` <6d92fa980608260205u6ae95ccem3ded9c190f7e0b0b@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2006-08-27 21:20     ` Chris Lowis
From: Chris Lowis @ 2006-08-27 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> This seems like a good time to use org-remember.  Set up a template
> for this type of entry, etc.  You'll have to select the project
> heading to put it under semi-manually, but everything else, like
> linking to the file and line you're editing will be handled
> automatically.

Thank you for your suggestions. Remember seems to do just what I need.
I'll probably write a small wrapper function to add the TODO to the
file and the org page at the same time.

Regards,

Chris

--