Aloha all, First, apologies for my rudimentary programming skills. The attached patch partially answers the query I posed earlier: the shortn argument was ignored except for the wrapfigure environment. The attached patch makes other environments aware of shortn. This works, sort of. If all the #+CAPTION: lines are of this form # +CAPTION: [shortn]{caption}, then all goes well. If one caption of this form is followed by others of this form #+CAPTION: caption, then the list of figures contains repeated entries of shortn. I suspect there is code somewhere that clears a variable. I can try to look for it, but I have to tell you that the lisp code to org-mode looks like magic spells to my untrained eye. All the best, Tom