From: Timothy <tecosaur@gmail.com>
To: Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
Cc: "emacs-orgmode@gnu.org" <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: (Feature Request) customise LaTeX-preview regex
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 15:49:26 +0800	[thread overview]

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks for getting back to me on this. With regard to
> I think you can preview \ce{...} just fine, with appropriate LaTeX headers.

I'm entirely likely to be missing something, however from a minimal test in a document I'm unable to get org-latex-preview to do anything with the following:
#+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{mhchem}
\ce{CO2} @@latex:\ce{CO2}@@
> This should not be possible. Org cannot recognize all LaTeX syntax. If
> you cannot preview it, Org does not understand it. IOW, it would be
> a poor experience if you preview something that doesn't exist, e.g.,
> upon exporting the document.
in a doc
My thoughts were that perhaps what works for \( ... \) and \[ ... \] (in terms of org-latex-preview) could be extended to other forms of inline LaTeX as well?
Given your response I'm guessing there are technical challenges with this?
FYI it seems to work fine for exporting (see image below), I'd just quite like to benefit from the visual tidiness achieved by the current LaTeX maths fragment rendering.

Oh, it just comes to mind that you may be referring to non-TeX-based output formats, where I can see that this could be a huge hassle.

Once again, (at this point in time) I am very loosely familiar with the innards of org (I've just stumbled around loking for specifics with C-h f / C-h v),
so if I look like I'm making any strange/outragous statements, please apply a substantial pinch of salt :D

Timothy