* Providing clock context when stopping the clock (enhancement request)
@ 2008-08-08 15:25 Peter Frings
From: Peter Frings @ 2008-08-08 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode Org-Mode

Hi all,

summary: provide the context of the running clock in the note buffer
when clocking out.

I might not be doing well in the 'getting organized' department,
because I often forget what I was doing... :-)  So I have a little
enhancement request that would make my life a little easier...

Here's the situation: I have org-log-note-clock-out set so I can enter
a little note about what it was I was doing. Now, I often get
interrupts while banging away at the keyboard (not necessarily in
emacs). Often, I don't get the time (or I simply forget) to switch to
emacs, clock out and describe what I was doing. Especially not when
someone is standing next to me jumping up and down in a very stressful
manner.

So, when I return to my desk, maybe a hour later, I need to enter the
interrupt in my time sheets. So I enter a brief note under the right
heading in my time sheet, clock in, and org-mode of course first wants
me first to clock out. It prompts me for what I was doing... and I
don't know anymore (it's not uncommon to work on several different
things during a single day, interrupting one interrupt for another --
and sometimes getting a stack overflow...). So there I am, staring at
the clock-out note buffer, trying to remember what the heck I was
doing before I got interrupted. Now, org-mode helpfully mentions the
time on which the active clock was started, which is nice, but not
enough. It would be *really* helpful when it would show the heading
(maybe context) of the running clock, right there, in the note buffer,
staring at my face.[1]

I know one can first jump to the active clock, read it, and then
proceed to clock out/in. But you wouldn't need to do all that when the
note buffer shows the context, would you? It sure would help me.

Does this make sense?

Thanks,
Peter -- who is still learning org-mode, and appreciating it a lot!

BTW: there's a small typo in the description of org-log-note-clock-out:
"Non-nil means, recored a note when ..."
s/recored/record/

[1] slightly off-topic: this is similar to what Don Norman (in "The
Psychology of Everyday Things") refers as 'knowledge in the world'
versus 'knowledge in the brain'. The more info and context a system
provides, the less the user has to remember, and the easier it is for
him to use the system.

* Re: Providing clock context when stopping the clock (enhancement request)
@ 2008-09-07  6:29 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-09-07  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Frings; +Cc: emacs-orgmode Org-Mode

Hi Peter,

the latest git version implements your request.  Thanks!

- Carsten