* I can't set dabbrev to respect the writen case
@ 2022-05-14 19:58 Ypo
From: Ypo @ 2022-05-14 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Hi

I find dabbrev and fancy-dabbrev very useful to typing fast. But there
is a problem I am not able to solve: When I apply an expansion while
writing, the case is always that of the expansion, I can't make it to
respect what I have written. An example:

— (Typing) "Hel

— (Offered expansion) "hello"

— (What I get when accepting the expansion) "hello"

— (What I wanted) "Hello"

Best regards,

Ypo

* Re: I can't set dabbrev to respect the writen case
@ 2022-05-14 22:32 ` Juan Manuel Macías
From: Juan Manuel Macías @ 2022-05-14 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ypo; +Cc: orgmode

Ypo writes:

> Hi
>
> I find dabbrev and fancy-dabbrev very useful to typing fast. But there
> is a problem I am not able to solve: When I apply an expansion while
> writing, the case is always that of the expansion, I can't make it to
> respect what I have written. An example:
>
> — (Typing) "Hel
>
> — (Offered expansion) "hello"
>
> — (What I get when accepting the expansion) "hello"
>
> — (What I wanted) "Hello"
>
> Best regards,
>
> Ypo

Take a look at these variables. I have them configured as non-nil:

(setq dabbrev-case-replace t)

(setq dabbrev-case-fold-search t)

Best regards,

Juan Manuel

* Re: I can't set dabbrev to respect the writen case
@ 2022-05-15 10:40   ` Ypo
From: Ypo @ 2022-05-15 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Manuel Macías; +Cc: orgmode

Thanks, Juan Manuel.

These are my variables, it keeps changing what I have already written:

'(case-replace nil)

  '(dabbrev-case-distinction t)
  '(dabbrev-case-fold-search t)
  '(dabbrev-case-replace t)
  '(dabbrev-upcase-means-case-search nil)

Best regards,

Ypo

@ 2022-05-15 13:58     ` Juan Manuel Macías
From: Juan Manuel Macías @ 2022-05-15 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ypo; +Cc: orgmode

Ypo writes:

> These are my variables, it keeps changing what I have already written:
>
> '(case-replace nil)
>
>  '(dabbrev-case-distinction t)
>  '(dabbrev-case-fold-search t)
>  '(dabbrev-case-replace t)
>  '(dabbrev-upcase-means-case-search nil)

With those values it works for me as expected. Maybe it's a problem with
your configuration. Try starting emacs with 'emacs -q' and evaluate the
variables with:

M-x eval-expression

(setq dabbrev-case-distinction t
      dabbrev-case-fold-search t
      dabbrev-case-replace t
      abbrev-upcase-means-case-search nil)

RET

I hardly use dabbrev and I'm afraid I can't give you any more tips.
Try asking <emacs-devel@gnu.org> as well.

Best regards,

Juan Manuel

* Re: I can't set dabbrev to respect the writen case
@ 2022-05-15 22:15 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2022-05-15 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ypo; +Cc: Org-mode

i do not use fancy-dabbrev, but i use dabbrev in hippie-expand.  it
seems to do as you want.

it should be possible to run hippie-expand with just dabbrev.  it
might not be exactly the same because he might have its own version of
dabbrev.  which might be what you want in this case.

note that you have control over where dabbrev gets its data.  idk if
that is a feature of vanilla dabbrev.

i do not use any dabbrev settings or any he settings except the main
one for he.  it is set to

      '(try-expand-dabbrev-visible
        try-expand-dabbrev
        try-expand-dabbrev-all-buffers
        try-expand-dabbrev-from-kill

        try-complete-lisp-symbol
        ;;do i want this first?  am i supposed to use another thing to
        ;;complete from that point?
        ;;try-complete-lisp-symbol-partially

        ;;try-expand-whole-kill
        try-complete-file-name-partially
        try-complete-file-name
        hoka-try-complete-with-calc-result)

--
The Kafka Pandemic

https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com

* Re: I can't set dabbrev to respect the writen case
@ 2022-05-16 17:25   ` Ypo
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Ypo @ 2022-05-16 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: Org-mode

Thanks, Samuel

I've uninstalled fancy-dabbrev, and it seems to work when I complete
using M-/. But, now I don't have candidates to choose the completion.
Any advice with this?

Best regards,
Ypo

@ 2022-05-16 23:41     ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2022-05-16 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ypo; +Cc: Org-mode

by default hippie-expand cycles.  to cycle backward you can undo.  idk
if it or dabbrev has a menu.

idk if this is useful but there is at least one menu package and many
completion packages at seemingly varying levels of interoperability.
some things have menus built in.  there is some degree of modularity
in some packages, especially a set of minibuffer completion packages,
which is not waht you are looking for.  i am confused by the many
options.  so what i would start with is as an ignoramus [that's me] is
trying to find an overview of what's out there, dabbrev settings or a
hook for a menu, he settings, whether anything with a menu incluing a
menu package is intended to fit modularly into dabbrev, whether
dabbrev or he fit into some framework [company?] that has or can use a
menu.  possibly you already tried those things but in cas nobod
anwers.

--

@ 2022-05-16 23:43       ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2022-05-16 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ypo; +Cc: Org-mode

did you confirm that fancy-dabbrev is not setting a dabbrev setting?

@ 2022-05-17  0:53     ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2022-05-17  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ypo; +Cc: Samuel Wales, emacs-orgmode

Ypo <ypuntot@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks, Samuel
>
> I've uninstalled fancy-dabbrev, and it seems to work when I complete using M-/. But, now I don't have candidates to choose the
> completion. Any advice with this?
>
> Best regards,
> Ypo

You might want to have a look at the corfu and cape packages.

https://github.com/minad/corfu
https://github.com/minad/cape

The corfu packages is basically a completions UI package built on-top of
built-in Emacs completion functionality while cape is a set of
completions at point functions which has support for dabbrv (and
others).

Alternatively, if your a copmany mode user, I believe there are company
dabbrv modes you can install. Company is probably more mature in the
sense it has been around for some time. However, I like the underlying
principals of corfu (i.e. leverage of existing Emacs functionality
rather than re-inventing it).

I did find with corfu and cape that it took a bit of experimentation and
use to get things 'just right'. However, once you have it working and
are use to it, I find it works well (I'm using Emacs 28 and 29(.

* Re: I can't set dabbrev to respect the writen case
@ 2022-05-17  3:16     ` acdw
From: acdw @ 2022-05-17  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2022-05-16 (Monday) at 12:25, Ypo <ypuntot@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Samuel
>
> I've uninstalled fancy-dabbrev, and it seems to work when I complete
> using M-/. But, now I don't have candidates to choose the completion.
> Any advice with this?

I also wrote the package `hippie-completing-read'[1] to give a nicer UI (in my opinion) to the hippie-expand command.

[1]: https://github.com/duckwork/hippie-completing-read

--
~ acdw
acdw.net | breadpunk.club/~breadw

* Re: I can't set dabbrev to respect the writen case
@ 2022-05-17  3:52       ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2022-05-17  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acdw; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

looks interesting.

i like ido and i like hippie-expand.

pointless comment: i wonder if normal folk cannot keep up with all the
completion stuff?

of course it's indicative of a burgeoning ecosystem, and there are
probably sensible reasons for all of it.

i could not even systematize the major packages in some kind of
outline or so, much less know their uses, or even list them.

i recently found out something is used in org but have no idea where
it would be used.  i think mastering emacs.

where you complete [buffer, minibuffer, shell mode commands, maybe
other stuff, some combination].  whether emacs default completion is
harnessed.  where emacs default completion even can be used
[everywhere?].

what /versions/ of emacs are suitable for default completion.  in how
many frameworks can one use dabbrev?  which are composable.  which are
likely to be supported in future [e.g. popular]. which have e.g.
ido-clever-match cleverness?

i got to the point where i figured out that company is for at least
buffer and does not harness default completion and is idk, maybe
incompatible with the new composable orthogonal things.

i use ido with ido-hacks [harnesses default completion] and
ido-clever-match for minibuffer, totally punt on shell mode with bad
window management [can't keep up with the new alist thing either] and
no semantics, and hippie expand.

i was able to reject ivy and helm for my purposes, other stuff sounds
intriguing, but would take forever to keep track of.

not asking for advice.  just sorta kinda wondering how much effort
informed folk put into keeping track.

[just realized most of this thread is ot for org mode, so op might get
help on emacs list if we're not useful enough.]

@ 2022-05-17  6:11         ` Ypo
From: Ypo @ 2022-05-17  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: Org-mode

Thanks, Samuel.

I am trying Company. It works with dabbrev out of the box, and I
understand its options for cases, so I get what I intended.

Best regards,

Ypo

@ 2022-05-17  6:16       ` Ypo
From: Ypo @ 2022-05-17  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Cross; +Cc: Samuel Wales, emacs-orgmode

Thanks a lot, Tim. I am saving those options to try them.

Ypo

@ 2022-05-17 16:59 Ypo
From: Ypo @ 2022-05-17 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acdw, Org-mode