* Re: Problems generating the org-mode documentation
       [not found] <CAO48Bk82nSQeWaxQ=A97BNdc80bbWvpwQwyh=1e-Ag-oS=QbjQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2021-10-18 13:12 ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2021-10-18 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
  Cc: orgmode, Takesi Ayanokoji, devel, emacs-devel

> On Oct 18, 2021, at 20:51, Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez <paaguti@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to generate the documentation on a freshly pulled emacs-28 branch with
>
> make doc
>
> and get the following error when creating  the org-mode documentation:
>
> [195] [196] Chapter 14 [197] [198] [199] [200] [201] [202] [203] [204] [205]
> [206] [207] Chapter 15 [208]
> ./org.texi:17579: TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [input stack size=5000].

Takesi Ayanokoji found that there was an extra line break that broke the conversion. Maybe there is an easy fix, but I have not tested that yet.

--
Jean-Christophe Helary @brandelune
https://mac4translators.blogspot.com

* Re: Problems generating the org-mode documentation
@ 2021-10-22  6:16 Vincent Breton
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Vincent Breton @ 2021-10-22  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lists, Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

>/On Oct 18, 2021, at 20:51, Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
<paaguti@gmail.com> /
>/wrote: />/I'm trying to generate the documentation />/./org.texi:17579: TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [input stack size=5000]. //Jean-Christophe Helary reported too the location of the source of
trouble identified by /Takesi Ayanokoji.

I think the trouble with "TeX capacity exceeded" is not a trouble with "make doc", Emacs or Org.
Probably a trouble with make or TeX environment as for example the size of available RAM.
I have already met that on Virtual machine with not enough memory for compilation but just enough for installation of the OS.

On my system "make doc" generate an error but I found a temporary solution to generate the documentation in PDF.

1) I start to make a git clone:
git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs/org-mode.git
2) I used make
cd org-mode
make cleanall
make all
3) I generate the pdf files inside the doc directory without using make file:
cd doc
makeinfo --pdf org.texi
makeinfo --pdf orgguide.texi
4) You can find the files generated in http://www.presentiel.com/org/orgguide.pdf and  in http://www.presentiel.com/org/org.pdf

About "make doc":
"make doc" don't work on my environment:
"make info" and "make html" are working fine but "make pdf", a part of "make doc", is not working on my environment.

I reproduce below the error and I suppose there is something wrong with the initial path:

entering extended mode
(../../../org.t2d/pdf/src/org.texi)
*
! Emergency stop.
<*> \input ../../../org.t2d/pdf/src/org.texi

!  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
Transcript written on org.log.

* Re: Problems generating the org-mode documentation
@ 2021-10-22  6:34 ` Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez @ 2021-10-22  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Breton; +Cc: lists, emacs-orgmode

Hi

> I think the trouble with "TeX capacity exceeded" is not a trouble with "make doc", Emacs or Org.
> Probably a trouble with make or TeX environment as for example the size of available RAM.
> I have already met that on Virtual machine with not enough memory for compilation but just enough for installation of the OS.

I have checked on a MacBook Pro with 16G running non-virtualised and I
met the problem at the same place as on a Ubuntu Linux VM with 2, 4 or
8 GBytes of memory

Best, /PA

On Fri, 22 Oct 2021 at 08:16, Vincent Breton <emacs-orgmode@presentiel.fr>
wrote:

> >* On Oct 18, 2021, at 20:51, Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez <paaguti@gmail.com> <paaguti@gmail.com> *
> >* wrote:
> *>* I'm trying to generate the documentation
> *>* ./org.texi:17579: TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [input stack size=5000].
> **Jean-Christophe Helary reported too the location of the source of trouble identified by *Takesi Ayanokoji.
>
> I think the trouble with "TeX capacity exceeded" is not a trouble with "make doc", Emacs or Org.
> Probably a trouble with make or TeX environment as for example the size of available RAM.
> I have already met that on Virtual machine with not enough memory for compilation but just enough for installation of the OS.
>
> On my system "make doc" generate an error but I found a temporary solution to generate the documentation in PDF.
>
> 1) I start to make a git clone:
> git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs/org-mode.git
> 2) I used make
> cd org-mode
> make cleanall
> make all
> 3) I generate the pdf files inside the doc directory without using make file:
> cd doc
> makeinfo --pdf org.texi
> makeinfo --pdf orgguide.texi
> 4) You can find the files generated in http://www.presentiel.com/org/orgguide.pdf and  in http://www.presentiel.com/org/org.pdf
>

> About "make doc":
> "make doc" don't work on my environment:
> "make info" and "make html" are working fine but "make pdf", a part of "make doc", is not working on my environment.
>
> I reproduce below the error and I suppose there is something wrong with the initial path:
>
> entering extended mode
> (../../../org.t2d/pdf/src/org.texi)
> *
> ! Emergency stop.
> <*> \input ../../../org.t2d/pdf/src/org.texi
>
> !  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
> Transcript written on org.log.

Fragen sind da um gestellt zu werden
Georg Kreisler

* Re: Problems generating the org-mode documentation
@ 2021-10-22  9:47 ` Alan Ristow
From: Alan Ristow @ 2021-10-22  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Breton, lists, Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 10/22/21 08:16, Vincent Breton wrote:
> >/On Oct 18, 2021, at 20:51, Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
> <paaguti@gmail.com> /
> >/wrote: />/I'm trying to generate the documentation />/./org.texi:17579: TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [input stack size=5000]. //Jean-Christophe Helary reported too the location of the source of
> trouble identified by /Takesi Ayanokoji.
>
> I think the trouble with "TeX capacity exceeded" is not a trouble with "make doc", Emacs or Org.
> Probably a trouble with make or TeX environment as for example the size of available RAM.
> I have already met that on Virtual machine with not enough memory for compilation but just enough for installation of the OS.

It has been a few years since I was deep in the guts of TeX and friends,
but as I recall, that error usually means that something somewhere has
caused TeX to expand one or more macros in an infinite loop (though
there can be other causes). It is generally the result of a syntax error
or a package conflict, but as far as I remember there aren't really any
packages to conflict during texinfo conversion. Perhaps there are
conflicts in the toolchain itself (e.g., between the particular versions
of (La)TeX and texinfo that you are using)?

If you're really motivated to get to the bottom of this, inserting
"\tracingall" into the TeX code just before the point where the error
comes up should help. I can't reproduce the problem (see below), so I
can't do it myself.

> On my system "make doc" generate an error but I found a temporary solution to generate the documentation in PDF.

For what it is worth, I just did a fresh clone of org-mode and
successfully generated the docs using both "make doc" and "make pdf". I
used a fully up-to-date TeXLive 2021 and texinfo (v. 6.7) on Ubuntu 21.10.

As a side note, I received the following warning with both "make" commands:

--

WARNING: No org-loaddefs.el file could be found from where org.el is
loaded.

However, building the docs was successful regardless of whether I ran
"make autoloads" first.

Alan

* Re: Problems generating the org-mode documentation
@ 2021-10-22 10:46 ` Hoffmann, Jobst
From: Hoffmann, Jobst @ 2021-10-22 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@presentiel.fr, paaguti@gmail.com,
	lists@traduction-libre.org
  Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Am Freitag, dem 22.10.2021 um 08:16 +0200 schrieb Vincent Breton:
> > On Oct 18, 2021, at 20:51, Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
> > <paaguti@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > I'm trying to generate the documentation
> > ./org.texi:17579: TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [input stack
> > size=5000].
> Jean-Christophe Helary reported too the location of the source of
> trouble identified by Takesi Ayanokoji.
>
> I think the trouble with "TeX capacity exceeded" is not a trouble with
> "make doc", Emacs or Org.
> Probably a trouble with make or TeX environment as for example the
> size of available RAM.
> I have already met that on Virtual machine with not enough memory for
> compilation but just enough for installation of the OS.

I don't think so: I've increased the settings without a success.

But I think I found the culprit:

Line 17568 of org.texi reads:

@kindex C-c C-x @

and @ starts a command, which leads to the stack overflow.

Line 17568 of org.texi should read

@kindex C-c C-x @@

witha doubled @ at the end of the line and after applying this change
org.texi the documentation org.pdf can be generated without any error.

> On my system "make doc" generate an error but I found a temporary
> solution to generate the documentation in PDF.
>
> 1) I start to make a git clone:
> git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs/org-mode.git
> 2) I used make
> cd org-mode
> make cleanall
> make all
> 3) I generate the pdf files inside the doc directory without using
> make file:
> cd doc
> makeinfo --pdf org.texi
> makeinfo --pdf orgguide.texi
> 4) You can find the files generated in
> http://www.presentiel.com/org/orgguide.pdf and  in
> http://www.presentiel.com/org/org.pdf
>

> About "make doc":
> "make doc" don't work on my environment:
> "make info" and "make html" are working fine but "make pdf", a part of
> "make doc", is not working on my environment.
>
> I reproduce below the error and I suppose there is something wrong
> with the initial path:
>
> entering extended mode
> (../../../org.t2d/pdf/src/org.texi)
> *
> ! Emergency stop.
> <*> \input ../../../org.t2d/pdf/src/org.texi
>
> !  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
> Transcript written on org.log.

Kind regards
Jobst
--
Prof. i.R. Dr. Jobst Hoffmann
Fachhochschule Aachen Abt. Jülich

* Re: Problems generating the org-mode documentation
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-10-22 15:54 ` Max Nikulin
From: Max Nikulin @ 2021-10-22 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 22/10/2021 13:16, Vincent Breton wrote:

> 4) You can find the files generated in http://www.presentiel.com/org/orgguide.pdf  and  in http://www.presentiel.com/org/org.pdf

They are available from the Org site:
- https://orgmode.org/org.pdf
- https://orgmode.org/orgguide.pdf

* Re: Problems generating the org-mode documentation
@ 2021-10-23  4:06   ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2021-10-23  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hoffmann, Jobst
  Cc: lists@traduction-libre.org, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org,
	paaguti@gmail.com, emacs-orgmode@presentiel.fr

Hoffmann, Jobst writes:

> But I think I found the culprit:
>
> Line 17568 of org.texi reads:
>
> @kindex C-c C-x @
>
> and @ starts a command, which leads to the stack overflow.
>
> Line 17568 of org.texi should read
>
> @kindex C-c C-x @@
>
> witha doubled @ at the end of the line and after applying this change
> org.texi the documentation org.pdf can be generated without any error.

Marco Wahl fixed this entry a few days ago on the bugfix branch:
37791bb4f (org-manual: Fix one kindex entry, 2021-10-18).

* Re: Problems generating the org-mode documentation
@ 2021-10-23  9:55     ` Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez @ 2021-10-23  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Meyer
  Cc: Hoffmann, Jobst, lists, emacs-devel, emacs-orgmode, emacs-orgmode

Let’s hope then this makes its way to Emacs-28 sooner than later ;-)

/PA

Enviado desde mi iPhone

@ 2021-10-23 14:50     ` Max Nikulin
From: Max Nikulin @ 2021-10-23 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 23/10/2021 11:06, Kyle Meyer wrote:
> Hoffmann, Jobst writes:
>
>> But I think I found the culprit:
>>
>> Line 17568 of org.texi reads:
>>
>> @kindex C-c C-x @
>>
>> and @ starts a command, which leads to the stack overflow.
>>
>> Line 17568 of org.texi should read
>>
>> @kindex C-c C-x @@
>>
>> witha doubled @ at the end of the line and after applying this change
>> org.texi the documentation org.pdf can be generated without any error.
>
> Marco Wahl fixed this entry a few days ago on the bugfix branch:
> 37791bb4f (org-manual: Fix one kindex entry, 2021-10-18).

Shouldn't it be handled by ox-texinfo.el instead? However it is a rare
case, so it is not really important. Are there cases when raw texinfo
commands are requires in "#+kindex:" strings? Formally some other
exporter might support kindex...

* Re: Problems generating the org-mode documentation
@ 2021-10-26 15:09   ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2021-10-26 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Vincent Breton

> On Oct 22, 2021, at 15:34, Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez <paaguti@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have checked on a MacBook Pro with 16G running non-virtualised

Same here. It is not a resource problem.