I'm the developer of Org mode package "org-link-beautify" https://repo.or.cz/org-link-beautify.git . The package main theory is to use org-link-parameters `:activate-func` to do link file preview with generating thumbnail images or file content etc. But I found it's slow one some big Org file and slow on small Org file when previewing has a lot. I locate and studied the source code of the `:activate-func`. - [X] locate the core function source code + [X] org-link-set-parameters - [X] org-link-parameters + [X] :activate-func + [X] org-mode major mode definition + [X] org-set-font-lock-defaults - Set font lock defaults for the current buffer. - [X] variable: org-font-lock-extra-keywords - dynamically scoped + [X] org-activate-links - [X] org-activate-links--text-properties + [X] :activate-func - [X] org-activate-links--overlays + [X] :activate-func I can see the `org-mode` invoked `org-set-font-lock-defaults` soon when `org-mode` enabled. I hope the link `:activate-func` function can be called only on link elements which is VISIBLE (means unfolded subtrees or similar). So org-mode don't need to render all buffer links at beginning soon. Instead render them as needed as unfolded. (Maybe I read source code without fully understand the code. If so, correct me, thanks.) So, I hope Org mode maintainer can improve this mechanism. Thanks a lot. Hope this can improve other Org mode extensions performance too. -- [ stardiviner ] I try to make every word tell the meaning that I want to express without misunderstanding. Blog: https://stardiviner.github.io/ IRC(libera.chat, freenode): stardiviner, Matrix: stardiviner GPG: F09F650D7D674819892591401B5DF1C95AE89AC3