* Exporting of sexps to iCalendar
@ 2010-03-31 21:34 Max
From: Max @ 2010-03-31 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I am using MobileOrg to carry my Org-Mode files with me while being away
from Emacs. MobileOrg works excellent for my task management and note
taking needs. However, I often need to find a free slot in my calendar
or need to get an overview of upcoming deadlines and MobileOrg's agenda
views do not allow me to do this in a sufficiently quick manner.

I thus export my Org-Mode files to iCalendar and then import the
resulting file to my iPhone calendar via webdav. This works well
for most events with the exception of the limited support for sexps
in iCalendar export; I tend to use sexp quite extensively for all
kinds of recurring events or events that require esoteric date
calculations.

If sexps work in agenda views, wouldn't it be great to resolve them in
a similar manner when exporting to iCalendar instead of using the
rather limited icalendar-export-region from icalendar.el? E.g. could
sexps with multiple occurrences be resolved into multiple iCalendar
events for the next n days? I think birthdays that are captured in
BBDB would get properly exported as well.

Would this be possible? Ideas?

Thanks, max

* Re: Exporting of sexps to iCalendar
@ 2010-04-06  5:21 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-04-06  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

On Mar 31, 2010, at 11:34 PM, Max wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using MobileOrg to carry my Org-Mode files with me while being
> away
> from Emacs. MobileOrg works excellent for my task management and note
> taking needs. However, I often need to find a free slot in my calendar
> or need to get an overview of upcoming deadlines and MobileOrg's
> agenda
> views do not allow me to do this in a sufficiently quick manner.
>
> I thus export my Org-Mode files to iCalendar and then import the
> resulting file to my iPhone calendar via webdav. This works well
> for most events with the exception of the limited support for sexps
> in iCalendar export; I tend to use sexp quite extensively for all
> kinds of recurring events or events that require esoteric date
> calculations.
>
> If sexps work in agenda views, wouldn't it be great to resolve them in
> a similar manner when exporting to iCalendar instead of using the
> rather limited icalendar-export-region from icalendar.el? E.g. could
> sexps with multiple occurrences be resolved into multiple iCalendar
> events for the next n days? I think birthdays that are captured in
> BBDB would get properly exported as well.

Interesting idea, but non-trivial to implement, so I am not going to
do it, not soon anyway.

- Carsten