Hey everyone, I just wanted to put this here in the Literate Programming thread, DistroTube just did a video on why Emacs rules, but the following timestamps are pretty dang useful for literate programming for still-always learning newbies like myself, just wanted to mention them here for reference: Timestamps: 7:20 11:46 15:35 17:36 What Are The Benefits Of Emacs Over Vim? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRkp-uJTK7s) On Sun, Jun 13, 2021, at 12:24 AM, Tim Cross wrote: > > Eric S Fraga > writes: > > > On Monday, 7 Jun 2021 at 14:43, Greg Minshall wrote: > >> i write most of my code in a (per-project) .org file, which is typically > >> tangled into source or script files. > > > > I do the same. > > > >> i'm wondering if people do this, especially the development log, and if > >> there are any hints or practices people might feel would be of interest > >> to share. > > > > I use version control for this aspect, liberally adding/deleting > > text/code and relying on the version control system to keep the log for > > me. I used to try to keep the log, as you call it, within the org file > > but that seemed eventually to be both difficult and pointless when there > > are decent version control tools out there. > > > > I use src mostly [1] when everything is going to be in one file. > > > > The "current" version of the document will have the code and results > > that match the text. > > > > YMMV, of course. > > > > Footnotes: > > [1] https://gitlab.com/esr/src > > I do something very similar. I will use org's archive facility as well, > but git with good commit logs seems to meet most of my needs. The > current 'master' HEAD is the current 'state' of the code, documentation, > notes etc. > > > -- > Tim Cross > >