I've done some more research on https://orgmode.org/list/875z02si3g.fsf@nicolasgoaziou.fr/, and I believe the issue is that `org-columns' is setting `truncate-lines' as t, while `global-visual-line-mode' is expecting it to be set to nil. The interaction between the two causes the wrapping to not occur. `org-columns; also cleans up after itself and replaces truncate-lines with the original value, which is why the problem only occurs when `org-columns' is enabled it. The attached patch ensures the behaviour is correct when `global-visual-line-mode' is enabled and that there are no behaviour changes when it has not already been enabled.