On 10.9.2013, at 05:47, Carsten Dominik wrote: > > On 9.9.2013, at 17:41, Nicolas Goaziou wrote: > >> Carsten Dominik writes: >> >>> It is extremely predictable if you know about the structure of an Org >>> document and if you think in elements. >> >> It's a Sexp motion. >> >>> It is unexpected for a user who is used to C-arrow doing paragraph >>> motion. In Org, org-backward-element climbs out if a hierarchy. This >>> is not what happens in other modes with this command. That is what >>> I mean with unexpected. >> >> OK. Do you want it to return an error if there's no element at the same >> level above (or below for the forward counterpart)? > > No, I guess not. Lets just leave it the way it is, but implement > alternative behavior in source code blocks. I agree with the arguments you make below. One more thought: What if the paragraph motion commands did use elements, but ignored the hierarchy. So they jump to the next headline, paragraph, table, src block, item? I think this would feel similar to what paragraph motion does in text mode. - Carsten > > Thank you. > > - Carsten > >> >>> Don't get me wrong. I love the element motion stuff. But I am >>> satisfied for it to be available on M-{ and M-}. >>> >>> I like your proposal to introduce a variable for special src behavior. >>> I personally would also like a variable that allows me to keep the >>> paragraph commands on C-arrow (because I have almost equally >>> convenient bindings with M-{}) - but maybe that is just me? >> >> But `org-forward-element'/`org-backward-element' are the paragraph >> commands for Org. Unlike to Text mode, contents in Org have a depth. So >> it's not just about stopping at blank lines. Even stopping at blank >> lines is not satisfying: >> >> XParagraph >> | a | table | >> >> Another paragraph >> >> A decent forward paragraph command should stop at the table here. On the >> other hand, it doesn't make much sense to stop at the blank line below: >> >> X#+begin_src emacs-lisp >> ;; line 1 >> >> ;; line 2 >> #+end_src >> Another paragraph >> >> When depth isn't involved, I think that `org-forward-element' is as good >> as it can get as a paragraph motion command, and far better than >> `forward-paragraph' from "paragraphs.el". >> >> >> Regards, >> >> -- >> Nicolas Goaziou >