Thanks Rasmus and Eric! 1) subtitle > The git version has a #+subtitle keyword. See the git version of the > manual for supported backends (most). Where the git install instructions say "you should edit local.mk to point to the appropriate install location", how do I find out where this is? Sorry, not used to using git :/ Is it possible to install the git version alongside the stable one, and choose which to use for each session? 2) level formating > For LaTeX export, this will not work (AFAIK) as LaTeX only supports 4 or > so levels of headings. Just tested: yes, 5 levels. At the 6th it treats them as list items. Well, it may be sufficient - I put '9' to leave some room. > Depends on the backend. With latex you could use setkomafont (of > KOMA-Script) and with html you could use css. > If you want this kind of control, you should ensure that the LaTeX uses > the scrartcl (koma-script) article class which is highly > configurable. However, you will have to do the LaTeX configuration > yourself directly using #+latex: and #+latex_header: org directives in > your org document. > > For HTML export, you will need to define the appropriate CSS > specifications to achieve the stair case effect. I have no idea how > this would be done... Right, I'll have a look at koma-script. Would there be a tutorial/example somewhere for how to do this from Org? And perhaps this can take care of the subtitle issue, too, within the stable Org version? 3) Custom highlight markers error > No idea about this. It could be a bug anywhere. > Could you maybe post a small example file? I have no idea what you are > describing unfortunately. I retrieved what I did, from here : "You can re-define the characters for emphasizing via Options->Customize Emacs->Specific Option then input org-emphasis-alist." Then I added an item to the list for using the interpunct character ·, resulting in [INS] [DEL] List: Marker character: * Choice: [Value Menu] Font-lock-face: (sample) bold [ ] verbatim [INS] [DEL] List: Marker character: / Choice: [Value Menu] Font-lock-face: (sample) italic [ ] verbatim [INS] [DEL] List: Marker character: _ Choice: [Value Menu] Font-lock-face: (sample) underline [ ] verbatim [INS] [DEL] List: Marker character: = Choice: [Value Menu] Font-lock-face: (sample) org-verbatim [X] verbatim [INS] [DEL] List: Marker character: ~ Choice: [Value Menu] Font-lock-face: (sample) org-code [X] verbatim [INS] [DEL] List: Marker character: + Choice: [Value Menu] Face property list: [INS] [DEL] Key: :strike-through Value: t [INS] [ ] verbatim *[INS] [DEL] List: ** ** Marker character: · ** ** Choice: [Value Menu] Font-lock-face: (sample) highlight ** ** [X] verbatim* Then when I write something like ·this· in my text, it is highlighted with a yellow background, within Org. But upon exporting I get the error mentioned. It does not appear to be due to some interaction with other stuff in my document, because the error occurs even for a minimal document that has only ·test· in it. So, a bug as Rasmus suggests, or a matter of configuration? cheers