* possible org-insert-heading bug?
@ 2013-07-02 18:53 Erik Iverson
From: Erik Iverson @ 2013-07-02 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I am using a current git pull (Org-mode version 8.0.3,
release_8.0.3-345-g239aa7) and noticed behavior that's easiest to show
with a small example. If you save and visit the following org file,

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7514404/test.org

you will see the behavior described and documented (assuming it's
reproducible under your version of emacs and orgmode).

Briefly M-<RET> at the end of a *folded* headline that contains plain
list items will insert a new plain list item at the end of the
subtree, instead of a new top-level headline. I believe this conflicts
with the documentation for M-<RET>, which currently reads:

... If the command is used at the end of a folded subtree (i.e.,
behind the ellipses at the end of a headline), then a headline like
the current one will be inserted after the end of the subtree...

Best,
--Erik

* Re: possible org-insert-heading bug?
@ 2013-07-02 22:11 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2013-07-02 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Iverson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Erik,

Glad to see you around :)

These all may be quite related. I haven't seen activity on those
threads suggesting whether a) the documentation is, in fact, right or
wrong or b) whether anyone has taken action to fix or adjust the
behavior of M-RET or C-RET based on the complaints/counter-intuitive
observations.

Let me know if those are similar to your issue. Perhaps Bastien can
comment on the state of these thread, now at least four in number...

- http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg70718.html
- http://osdir.com/ml/emacs-orgmode-gnu/2013-05/msg00846.html
- http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/72399

I've taken to using C-RET in the meantime, as it seems to do what I
often expect when reflexively pressing M-RET. Also, someone once
corrected me on the documentation that "at the end of the line" might
mean before the ellipsis, not after?

Hope that helps!
John

@ 2013-07-03  3:52   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-07-03  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Erik Iverson

Hi,

yes, org-insert-heading is broken - nad I am trying to find time
to rewrite it.  My top Org priority.

- Carsten

@ 2013-07-03 15:01     ` Robert Horn
From: Robert Horn @ 2013-07-03 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Erik Iverson

I've noticed a probably related bug.  In a file like

* before
  break between

If I put the cursor between break and between, M-ret causes the result

* before
* break between

rather than what I expected:

* before
  break
* between

With the holiday coming I might look at it also and figure out what is
happening.

R Horn

@ 2013-07-03 15:06       ` Erik Iverson
From: Erik Iverson @ 2013-07-03 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

Robert,

I noticed that behavior, too. But that does seem documented under M-<RET>:

"When this command is used in the middle of a line, the line is split
and the rest of the line becomes the new item or headline".

Footnote 10 is referenced, which says:

"If you do not want the line to be split, customize the variable
org-M-RET-may-split-line."

Hope this helps,
--Erik

@ 2013-07-03 15:39         ` Robert Horn
From: Robert Horn @ 2013-07-03 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Iverson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

Erik Iverson writes:

> Robert,
>
> I noticed that behavior, too. But that does seem documented under M-<RET>:
>
> "When this command is used in the middle of a line, the line is split
> and the rest of the line becomes the new item or headline".
>
> Footnote 10 is referenced, which says:
>
> "If you do not want the line to be split, customize the variable
> org-M-RET-may-split-line."

That's what I wanted and expected.  That's not what happened.  The line
was not split.  The whole line became a new headline.  What I wanted was
the line to be split and the tail end to be the new headline.

@ 2013-07-31 19:15     ` Simon Thum
From: Simon Thum @ 2013-07-31 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Erik Iverson

Carsten,

any news on this? I'm struggling with RET C-RET during notes taking.

Cheers,

Simon

@ 2013-08-02 14:34       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-08-02 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Thum; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Erik Iverson, Carsten Dominik

Hi Simon,

Simon Thum <simon.thum@gmx.de> writes:

> any news on this? I'm struggling with RET C-RET during notes taking.

I'll be on vacation until August 14th, but this is high on my
todo list then.  Unless Carsten or someone else beats me on this,
of course.

--
 Bastien

* Re: possible org-insert-heading bug?
@ 2013-08-08  7:28       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-08-08  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Thum; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Erik Iverson

On 31.7.2013, at 21:15, Simon Thum <simon.thum@gmx.de> wrote:

> Carsten,
>
> any news on this? I'm struggling with RET C-RET during notes taking.

Hi Simon,

This should be fixed now.

- Carsten

@ 2013-08-08 20:17         ` Simon Thum