* using links/org-capture programmatically
@ 2011-07-26 18:20 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2011-07-26 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've got a little sequence I use so often I'd like to automate it, but
am not sure how. Basically it goes:

1. In Gnus, store a link to an email message
2. Call org-capture
3. Choose a template with a REPLY keyword, that gets stored in a certain subtree
4. Pull the last-stored link, to the email message, into the REPLY heading
5. Complete and restore what I had before

If I want to write a single keystroke that does this, how do I insert
the last stored link into the text of the capture template in an elisp
function? Or should I not be using org-capture in a function to begin
with?

Any advice appreciated!

Eric

* Re: using links/org-capture programmatically
@ 2011-07-26 19:02 ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2011-07-26 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 7/26/11 8:20 PM, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
> I've got a little sequence I use so often I'd like to automate it, but
> am not sure how. Basically it goes:
>
> 1. In Gnus, store a link to an email message
> 2. Call org-capture
> 3. Choose a template with a REPLY keyword, that gets stored in a certain subtree
> 4. Pull the last-stored link, to the email message, into the REPLY heading
> 5. Complete and restore what I had before
>
> If I want to write a single keystroke that does this, how do I insert
> the last stored link into the text of the capture template in an elisp
> function? Or should I not be using org-capture in a function to begin
> with?

Can't you just call org-capture from the message and have a link added
automatically with %a in the template? See
[[info:org#Template%20expansion]]. (Caveat: Not tested, I'm not on Gnus.)

Yours,
Christian

* Re: using links/org-capture programmatically
@ 2011-07-26 20:56 ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2011-07-26 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Eric,

Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
> I've got a little sequence I use so often I'd like to automate it, but
> am not sure how. Basically it goes:
>
> 1. In Gnus, store a link to an email message
> 2. Call org-capture
> 3. Choose a template with a REPLY keyword, that gets stored in a certain subtree
> 4. Pull the last-stored link, to the email message, into the REPLY heading
> 5. Complete and restore what I had before
>
> If I want to write a single keystroke that does this, how do I insert
> the last stored link into the text of the capture template in an elisp
> function? Or should I not be using org-capture in a function to begin
> with?
>
> Any advice appreciated!

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
          (setq org-capture-templates
                `(("m" "Mail" entry
                   (file+headline ,org-default-notes-file "Tasks")
                   "* TODO %:subject%? (from %:fromname) :mail:
   SCHEDULED: %t
   %:date-timestamp-inactive

#+begin_verse
%i
#+end_verse

From %a"
                   :empty-lines 1 :immediate-finish)))
#+end_src

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: using links/org-capture programmatically
@ 2011-07-27  1:53   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2011-07-27  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Jul 26 2011, Christian Moe wrote:

> On 7/26/11 8:20 PM, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>> I've got a little sequence I use so often I'd like to automate it, but
>> am not sure how. Basically it goes:
>>
>> 1. In Gnus, store a link to an email message
>> 2. Call org-capture
>> 3. Choose a template with a REPLY keyword, that gets stored in a certain subtree
>> 4. Pull the last-stored link, to the email message, into the REPLY heading
>> 5. Complete and restore what I had before
>>
>> If I want to write a single keystroke that does this, how do I insert
>> the last stored link into the text of the capture template in an elisp
>> function? Or should I not be using org-capture in a function to begin
>> with?
>
> Can't you just call org-capture from the message and have a link added
> automatically with %a in the template? See
> [[info:org#Template%20expansion]]. (Caveat: Not tested, I'm not on
> Gnus.)

Oh, ha! Don't know how I missed that, but you're quite right. It's still
several keypresses, but not so many that it breaks the zone. If I need
something more complex, I'll try Seb's solution.

Thanks to you both!

Eric