* Time calculation: vsum?
@ 2011-07-17  5:53 Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2011-07-17  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode, Eric Schulte

Hi,

Time calculations don't seem to work with vsum (or vmean).

|    Time |
|---------|
| 1:06:00 |
| 0:52:30 |
| 2:00:00 |
|---------|
|       3 |
#+TBLFM: @5$1=vsum(@I..@II);T

Am I doing something wrong?

Could this be made to work?

Yours,
Christian

* Re: Time calculation: vsum?
@ 2011-07-17 12:27 ` Michael Markert
From: Michael Markert @ 2011-07-17 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mail; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi Christian,

On 17 Jul 2011, Christian Moe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Time calculations don't seem to work with vsum (or vmean).
>

> |    Time |
> |---------|
> | 1:06:00 |
> | 0:52:30 |
> | 2:00:00 |
> |---------|
> |       3 |
> #+TBLFM: @5$1=vsum(@I..@II);T
>

> Am I doing something wrong?

Yes, `vsum' works just on numbers, not times.

> Could this be made to work?
Here's a elisp function that does what you want (assuming it's
hours:minutes:seconds -- if not tweak the numbers):

#+begin_src elisp
(defun h-m-s-vsum (times)
  (loop for (h m s) in (mapcar (lambda (time)
                            (mapcar #'string-to-int
                                    (split-string time ":" 'omit-nulls)))
                               times)
       collect (+ (* 3600 h) (* 60 m) s) into seconds
       finally (return (let* ((second-sum (apply #'+ seconds))
                              (seconds (let ((s (% second-sum 60)))
                                         (decf second-sum s)
                                         s))
                              (minutes (let ((m (% second-sum 3600)))
                                         (decf second-sum m)
                                         (truncate (/ m 60))))
                              (hours (/ second-sum 3600)))
                         (format "%s:%s:%s" hours minutes seconds)))))
#+end_src elisp

The table has to be

|    Time |
|---------|
| 1:06:00 |
| 0:52:30 |
| 2:00:00 |
|---------|
| 3:58:30 |
#+TBLFM: @5$1='(h-m-s-vsum '(@I..@II))

Hope that helps.
Maybe there is an easier way. I hope there is ;)

Michael

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 836 bytes --]

* Re: Time calculation: vsum?
@ 2011-07-17 13:27   ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2011-07-17 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Markert; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi, Michael,

First, I just realized I was part wrong: vsum of time values DOES work
(sorry, Eric!).

| Task 1 | Task 2 | Task 3 |   Total |
|--------+--------+--------+---------|
|  35:00 |  35:00 |   4:00 | 1:14:00 |
#+TBLFM: @2$4=vsum($1..$3);T

| Task   |  Time |
|--------+-------|
| Task 1 | 35:00 |
| Task 2 | 35:00 |
| Task 3 |  4:00 |
|--------+-------|
| Total  |  1:14 |
#+TBLFM: @5$2=vsum(@I..@II);T

But in the vertical vsum in the second example above, the right answer
is misleadingly formatted, so you'd read it as 1 min 14 seconds, not 1
hr 14 mins.

And I'm still failing to get the right vsum /vertically/ with times
one hour or above, e.g.:

| Task   |    Time |
|--------+---------|
| Task 1 | 1:35:00 |
| Task 2 | 1:35:00 |
| Task 3 | 1:04:00 |
|--------+---------|
| Total  |       3 |
#+TBLFM: @5$2=vsum(@I..@II);T

Meanwhile, Michael, thanks for your elisp solution -- it's more
compact than mine, and I'll be happy to steal it!

But support for time calculations -- in calc formulas too -- has been
added in 7.6.

Yours,
Christian

* Re: Time calculation: vsum?
@ 2011-07-24 18:32 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-07-24 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mail; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi Christian,

Christian Moe <mail@christianmoe.com> writes:

> Time calculations don't seem to work with vsum (or vmean).
>

> |    Time |
> |---------|
> | 1:06:00 |
> | 0:52:30 |
> | 2:00:00 |
> |---------|
> |       3 |
> #+TBLFM: @5$1=vsum(@I..@II);T
>

> Am I doing something wrong?
>
> Could this be made to work?

It should work now, thanks for pointing this out.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Time calculation: vsum?
@ 2011-07-24 22:03   ` Christian Moe