* Help, I need to paste raw image from clipboard into emacs/orgmode
@ 2011-07-20 14:59 Medhat Essmat
From: Medhat Essmat @ 2011-07-20 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear All,

Please Help,

I need to paste raw image from clipboard into emacs/orgmode, I am a
microsoft onenote user and I got used to take a lot of snapshots and embed
it into my notes, I think if I could know how to embed images directly into
emacs/orgmode from clipboard, I will switch to emacs very easily.

I searched the internet but unfortunately I didn't find the answer,

Thanks a lot.
Dodo

* Re: Help, I need to paste raw image from clipboard into emacs/orgmode
@ 2011-07-24 18:26 ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2011-07-24 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Medhat Essmat; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 4:59 PM, Medhat Essmat <e.medhat@ieee.org> wrote:
> I need to paste raw image from clipboard into emacs/orgmode, I am a
> microsoft onenote user and I got used to take a lot of snapshots and embed
> it into my notes, I think if I could know how to embed images directly into
> emacs/orgmode from clipboard, I will switch to emacs very easily.

You can see this[1] section on Worg dealing with this issue. However
this solution uses the ImageMagick library. I am not sure this is
available on Windows. Maybe you can adapt this and find a solution that
fits your need.

Footnotes:

[1] http://orgmode.org/worg/org-hacks.html#sec-3-8

--
Suvayu

* Re: Help, I need to paste raw image from clipboard into emacs/orgmode
@ 2011-07-24 20:11 ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2011-07-24 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Medhat Essmat; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Am 20.07.2011 16:59, schrieb Medhat Essmat:
> Dear All,
>
> Please Help,
>
> I need to paste raw image from clipboard into emacs/orgmode, I am a microsoft onenote user and I got used to take a lot of snapshots and embed it into my notes, I think if I could know how to embed images directly into emacs/orgmode from clipboard, I will switch to emacs very easily.
>

> I searched the internet but unfortunately I didn't find the answer,
>
> Thanks a lot.
> Dodo
Dear Dodo,

check this for Windows:

The better approach seems to be to take the screenshot image from the clipboard.
Therefore any screenshot tool will do.

This works for me under Windows XP:
(I had to introduce the tilde-buffer-filename variable for irfanview to work)

(defun org-screenshot ()
  "Take a screenshot into a time stamped unique-named file in the same directory as the org-buffer and insert
a link to this file."
  (interactive)
  (setq tilde-buffer-filename
	(replace-regexp-in-string "/" "\\" (buffer-file-name) t t))
  (setq filename
	(concat
	 (make-temp-name
	  (concat tilde-buffer-filename
		  "_"
		  (format-time-string "%Y%m%d_%H%M%S_")) ) ".jpg"))
  ;; Linux: ImageMagick: (call-process "import" nil nil nil filename)
  ;; Windows: Irfanview
  (call-process "c:\\Programme\\IrfanView\\i_view32.exe" nil nil nil (concat "/clippaste /convert=" filename))
  (insert (concat "[[file:" filename "]]"))
  (org-display-inline-images))

So this is how it works:

1. take a screenshot with any tool you are used to use
2. change to your org buffer and call "org-screenshot" via M-x

Instead of ".jpg" you can use any format IrfanView understands, for example "png".

Very useful!

-- Rainer
Check the corrsponding gmane thread with subject "insert picture feature request."

-- Rainer

* Help, I need to paste raw image from clipboard into emacs/orgmode
@ 2013-06-06 17:16 Klaus-Dieter Bauer
From: Klaus-Dieter Bauer @ 2013-06-06 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Dear All,
> Please Help,
> I need to paste raw image from clipboard into emacs/orgmode, I am a
> microsoft onenote user and I got used to take a lot of snapshots and embed
> it into my notes, I think if I could know how to embed images directly into
> emacs/orgmode from clipboard, I will switch to emacs very easily.
>
> I searched the internet but unfortunately I didn't find the answer,
> Thanks a lot.
> Dodo

Hello!

While the original poster probably long since has implemented one of the
previously suggested solutions (or given up) I thought I'd share a more
general solution I found [1].

ImageMagick's `convert' can use clipboard: as input file (don't know if it
works as output file).

    convert clipboard: FILENAME-WITH-EXTENSION

I tested it with the cygwin and native windows versions and both worked.

king regards, Klaus

PS1: On Windows `convert.exe' might be shadowed by another executable,
especially C:\Windows\System32\convert.exe. In that case the PATH variable
should be adjusted such that ImageMagick comes before C:\Windows\system32.
To check what shadows the executable, you can run "where convert" in the
Windows-commandline.
PS2: On Windows only basic image-displaying-support is included
out-of-the-box. To get full support, the easiest way is to install the full
GnuWin32 tools (which include the necessary image libraries) with the
web-installer.

------

[1] User "magick" in
http://www.imagemagick.org/discourse-server/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7524&p=22859
.

* Re: Help, I need to paste raw image from clipboard into emacs/orgmode
@ 2013-06-07  9:31 ` Vitalie Spinu
From: Vitalie Spinu @ 2013-06-07  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for the tip. Do you have an elisp piece that handles the image
insertion into org buffers?

Thanks,

    Vitalie

@ 2013-06-07 18:15   ` Klaus-Dieter Bauer
From: Klaus-Dieter Bauer @ 2013-06-07 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

(defun my-org-insert-clipboard ()
  (interactive)
  (let* ((image-file "clipboard.png")
 (exit-status
  (call-process "convert" nil nil nil
"clipboard:" image-file)))
    (org-insert-link nil (concat "file:" image-file) "")
    (org-display-inline-images)))

That works for me (Emacs 24.3, Windows 7) though for practical use some
more edge case handling ("don't insert on failure", "different name if file
exists") will be wanted.

kind regards, Klaus

@ 2013-11-06 15:28     ` Alexander Vorobiev
From: Alexander Vorobiev @ 2013-11-06 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)