* ical2org
@ 2011-02-02  7:02 Arun Persaud
From: Arun Persaud @ 2011-02-02  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

updated the script and added a small config section. I had to change the
time conversion a bit, since most of my entries are in local time in the
.ics file. I also got a lot of really old events, that I'm not
interested anymore and which slowed down the agenda view, so I added an
option to only convert entries that are not older than N days.
The default behavior is the same as before.

The updated script is in Worg (in /code/awk/)

cheers
	ARUN

* Re: ical2org
@ 2011-02-02  8:11 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-02-02  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arun Persaud; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Arun Persaud <apersaud@lbl.gov> writes:

> Hi
>
> updated the script and added a small config section. I had to change the
> time conversion a bit, since most of my entries are in local time in the
> .ics file. I also got a lot of really old events, that I'm not
> interested anymore and which slowed down the agenda view, so I added an
> option to only convert entries that are not older than N days.
> The default behavior is the same as before.
>
> The updated script is in Worg (in /code/awk/)
>
> cheers
> 	ARUN

Very useful option!  Thanks.

I would be tempted to make the default ignore any old events.  Any
thoughts on this?

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.4.294.g8158)

* Re: ical2org (better timezone recognition and better default for max_age option)
@ 2011-02-17  7:30   ` Arun Persaud
From: Arun Persaud @ 2011-02-17  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

>>[option to ignore entries older than N days]
> Very useful option!  Thanks.
>
> I would be tempted to make the default ignore any old events.  Any
> thoughts on this?

I changed it to ignore everything older than one week.

I also updated the timezone parsing a bit after reading part of section
4.3.5 of RFC2445 (ical). There seem to be 3 ways to specify a timezone

date+T+time                   floating timezone=> assume local time
date+T+timeZ                  always UTC
TZID=<timezone>;date+T+time   time given in timezone

ical2org should now parse the first two correctly. Let me know in case
this doesn't work correctly. If I have more time, I'll play with the
third timezone spec too...

cheers

Arun

* Re: ical2org (better timezone recognition and better default for max_age option)
@ 2011-02-23 20:22     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-02-23 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arun Persaud; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Arun Persaud <apersaud@lbl.gov> writes:

> Hi
>
>>>[option to ignore entries older than N days]
>> Very useful option!  Thanks.
>>
>> I would be tempted to make the default ignore any old events.  Any
>> thoughts on this?
>
> I changed it to ignore everything older than one week.
>
> I also updated the timezone parsing a bit after reading part of section
> 4.3.5 of RFC2445 (ical). There seem to be 3 ways to specify a timezone
>
> date+T+time                   floating timezone=> assume local time
> date+T+timeZ                  always UTC
> TZID=<timezone>;date+T+time   time given in timezone
>
> ical2org should now parse the first two correctly. Let me know in case
> this doesn't work correctly. If I have more time, I'll play with the
> third timezone spec too...
>
> cheers
>
> Arun

I can only verify that the second option seems to work (as all my google
calendar entries are of that type).

however, I'm a little concerned with some of the other changes,
specifically that all timed events have become scheduled todo entries
(of type GCAL) which really doesn't fit in with my use case at all
unfortunately.  I think scheduled events should be restricted to TODO
entries -- maybe it's a matter of figuring out how google exports tasks
and keep diary entries as just that?

I do like that you are picking up the LOCATION and STATUS fields.  I
wonder if these could be made into properties for the org headlines you
create, much as is done with the UID entry?

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.4.529.gb23d.dirty)

* Re: ical2org (better timezone recognition and better default for max_age option)
@ 2011-02-23 20:28       ` Arun Persaud
From: Arun Persaud @ 2011-02-23 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi

> however, I'm a little concerned with some of the other changes,
> specifically that all timed events have become scheduled todo
> entries (of type GCAL) which really doesn't fit in with my use case
> at all unfortunately.

probably should make this configurable. How about defining a string that
is attached to all entries, this could then be "GCAL", "TODO" or just
empty "".

The reason that I added the GCAL is that when I want to exclude them
from being exported back into google, so a tag worked fine, but I guess
this could also be done in other ways.

> I think scheduled events should be restricted to TODO entries --
> maybe it's a matter of figuring out how google exports tasks and keep
> diary entries as just that?

I'm not using google tasks or emacs diary, so I can't really say how
this would work

> I do like that you are picking up the LOCATION and STATUS fields.  I
> wonder if these could be made into properties for the org headlines
> you create, much as is done with the UID entry?

should be easy.

ARUN

* Re: ical2org (better timezone recognition and better default for max_age option)
@ 2011-02-23 20:44         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-02-23 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arun Persaud; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Arun Persaud <apersaud@lbl.gov> writes:

> Hi
>
>> however, I'm a little concerned with some of the other changes,
>> specifically that all timed events have become scheduled todo
>> entries (of type GCAL) which really doesn't fit in with my use case
>> at all unfortunately.
>
> probably should make this configurable. How about defining a string that
> is attached to all entries, this could then be "GCAL", "TODO" or just
> empty "".

yes, that would be good.  You should aim to keep the configuration
options defined directly in the file to a minimum or at least
configurable at run time.

> The reason that I added the GCAL is that when I want to exclude them
> from being exported back into google, so a tag worked fine, but I guess
> this could also be done in other ways.

the whole point of the UID field was to ensure that any entries exported
back would be ignored as google will treat any such entry as already
there if the id matches one of the entries.

>> I think scheduled events should be restricted to TODO entries --
>> maybe it's a matter of figuring out how google exports tasks and keep
>> diary entries as just that?
>
> I'm not using google tasks or emacs diary, so I can't really say how
> this would work

No, sorry, not the Emacs Diary/Calendar but entries that appear in the
org agenda view simply as timed entries.  E.g. something like

#+begin_src org
* meeting with my students
  <2011-02-24 Thu 11:00-11:30>
#+end_src

will appear in the agenda for that day and that time.  As soon as you
"schedule" something, it becomes a "task" and it will continue to appear
on following days until you mark the "task" as done.  This is very
different from a simple timed entry in the agenda.  For timed entries
(or all day entries) from google, the direct mapping in org is simple
headings with /active/ time stamps.  There is no need for the SCHEDULED
specification.

>> I do like that you are picking up the LOCATION and STATUS fields.  I
>> wonder if these could be made into properties for the org headlines
>> you create, much as is done with the UID entry?
>
> should be easy.

Yes, simply move the two output statements for these to where the "id"
information is written out.

Thanks,
eric