* [babel] Suggestions: GRASS GIS und Lilypond
@ 2011-02-15  1:02 Thorsten
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Thorsten @ 2011-02-15  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello Babel developers,
just two suggestions for new languages:
1. GRASS GIS
As far as I know there is no grass-mode in emacs, but some expert people are
successful running grass processes together with R processes in ESS.
Since GRASS and R are natural allies, it would be great to use the GRASS
engine in an org-file to retrieve spatial data and then analyse the data
with R in the same file - would make Org a kind of emacs-grassmode
replacement.
2. Lilypond
A nice to have for all the music lovers in the org community.
Regards
Thorsten

* Re: [babel] Suggestions: GRASS GIS und Lilypond
@ 2011-02-15  2:57 ` John Hendy
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: John Hendy @ 2011-02-15  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 7:02 PM, Thorsten <
gruenderteam.berlin@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hello Babel developers,
> just two suggestions for new languages:
> 2. Lilypond
> A nice to have for all the music lovers in the org community.

I've used Lilypond and think it's amazing. But... what advantage is having
it in org? Just curious... integration in foldable headlines and src blocks?
For my uses, I can't think of a purpose unless, I guess, I was doing
in-document scores or bars like in a wedding program or something. What was
your idea -- I'm interested.

John

@ 2011-02-15  8:19   ` Thorsten
From: Thorsten @ 2011-02-15  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> I've used Lilypond and think it's amazing. But... what advantage is
> having it in org? Just curious... integration in foldable headlines
> and src blocks? For my uses, I can't think of a purpose unless, I
> guess, I was doing in-document scores or bars like in a wedding
> program or something. What was your idea -- I'm interested.
>
> John

I thought about writing a music book with the typesetting done by LaTex
and Lilypond. I know it should work just like combining R and LaTex with
Sweave, but the last time I tried I had problems - integration in Org
could make it easy. And, since nowadays books are shared on the web for
free and the author starves, one might want to reuse the content in the
setting of an online music school. Orgmode's html export would make this
easy.

Thorsten

* Re: [babel] Suggestions: GRASS GIS und Lilypond
@ 2011-02-15  9:11 ` Rainer M Krug
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2011-02-15  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 02/15/2011 02:02 AM, Thorsten wrote:
> Hello Babel developers,
> just two suggestions for new languages:
> 1. GRASS GIS
> As far as I know there is no grass-mode in emacs, but some expert people are
> successful running grass processes together with R processes in ESS.
> Since GRASS and R are natural allies, it would be great to use the GRASS
> engine in an org-file to retrieve spatial data and then analyse the data
> with R in the same file - would make Org a kind of emacs-grassmode
> replacement.

I second that - but what would be really needed to make this work
nicely, is syntax highlighting for grass commands.

And in addition, GRASS scripts are shell scripts - so one should be able
to use a combination of :session and sh code blocks to run GRASS
commands without problems (haven't tried it yet, but nice idea).

The only question would be on how can I start a shell, in which I start
GRASS in which I run the R shell? Well - what I did was to start GRASS
in xterm, in GRASS start emacs with & and when I started R in emacs, it
was running in GRASS.

Is this what you mean, or am I missing here something?

Rainer

> 2. Lilypond
> A nice to have for all the music lovers in the org community.
> Regards
> Thorsten

- --
Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Natural Sciences Building
Office Suite 2039
Stellenbosch University
Main Campus, Merriman Avenue
Stellenbosch
South Africa

Tel:        +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +27 - (0)8 39 47 90 42
Fax (SA):   +27 - (0)8 65 16 27 82
Fax (D) :   +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44
Fax (FR):   +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44
email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

* Re: [babel] Suggestions: GRASS GIS und Lilypond
@ 2011-02-15  9:59 ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2011-02-15  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Earlier thread on Lilypond:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/31324

CM

@ 2011-02-15 10:08   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-02-15 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mail; +Cc: Thorsten, emacs-orgmode

Christian Moe <mail@christianmoe.com> writes:

> Earlier thread on Lilypond:
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/31324

Yes.  I had the opportunity to discuss this with Stefan at FOSDEM...
it's something that may happen at sometimes :)

--
 Bastien

* Re: Re: [babel] Suggestions: GRASS GIS und Lilypond
@ 2011-02-15 17:15     ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-02-15 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 2:19 AM, Thorsten <
gruenderteam.berlin@googlemail.com> wrote:

> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I've used Lilypond and think it's amazing. But... what advantage is
> > having it in org? Just curious... integration in foldable headlines
> > and src blocks? For my uses, I can't think of a purpose unless, I
> > guess, I was doing in-document scores or bars like in a wedding
> > program or something. What was your idea -- I'm interested.
> >
> > John
>
> I thought about writing a music book with the typesetting done by LaTex
> and Lilypond. I know it should work just like combining R and LaTex with
> Sweave, but the last time I tried I had problems - integration in Org
> could make it easy. And, since nowadays books are shared on the web for
> free and the author starves, one might want to reuse the content in the
> setting of an online music school. Orgmode's html export would make this
> easy.

Cool -- this was along my thoughts. I like it! I agree it can't be that hard
to integrate. It's a pretty simple markup.

John

> Thorsten

* Re: [babel] Suggestions: GRASS GIS und Lilypond
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-02-15 18:46 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-02-15 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I am happy to answer questions and provide suggestions for anyone who is
interested in developing support for these (or any other) additional
languages.  I would recommend looking at existing languages which are
similar to the new language for guidance/examples.

In the case of GRASS, it sounds as though GRASS is a sub[super]-set of
R?  Would it be possible to simply use the existing R support in babel
only specify a non-R command to be run to start interactive sessions?

Best -- Eric

@ 2011-02-16  9:14   ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2011-02-16  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Thorsten, emacs-orgmode

On 02/15/2011 07:46 PM, Eric Schulte wrote:
> I am happy to answer questions and provide suggestions for anyone who is
> interested in developing support for these (or any other) additional
> languages.  I would recommend looking at existing languages which are
> similar to the new language for guidance/examples.
>
> In the case of GRASS, it sounds as though GRASS is a sub[super]-set of
> R?

No - GRASS can be described as a collection of commands which are
executed in the shell after some environmental variables are set. So
GRASS is rather a super set of a bash shell.
So an implementation of GRASS could easily build on how sh code blocks
are hab=ndled in org.

Interactive GRASS sessions are effectively sh sessions with adapted
$PATH variable and a few environmental variables, to make the GRASS
commands accessible. So really the easiest would be to use the existing
sh support, set the environmental variables, set the $PATH and execute
the commands.
The environmental variables could be defined in :var - so actually that
should not be a problem.

Syntax highlighting could be based on sh with added commands in the
added $PATH - should not be to difficult (theoretically...).

> Would it be possible to simply use the existing R support in babel
> only specify a non-R command to be run to start interactive sessions?

Well - R, like python which is becoming the "official" scripting
language for GRASS, has a set of commands to interface with GRASS - so
using R (or python) would not be a useful approach.

There is an R package (spGRASS6) which is doing exactly what I mentioned
above (setting the $PATH and the environmental variables) to be able to
execute grass commands from within R - (with the syntax

execGRASS( "COMMAND", ... )

So one could look at that command (initGRASS() I think it is called) to
see what is necessary - or just execute grass:

grass -text GISBASE/LOCATION_NAME/MAPSET

rkrug@ecolmod:~/deb$ grass --help
Usage:
  grass64 [-h | -help | --help] [-v | --version] [-c]
          [-text | -gui | -tcltk | -oldtcltk | -wxpython | -wx]
          [[[<GISDBASE>/]<LOCATION_NAME>/]<MAPSET>]

Flags:
  -h or -help or --help          print this help message
  -v or --version                show version information and exit
  -c                             create given mapset if it doesn't exist
  -text                          use text based interface
                                   and set as default
  -gui                           use graphical user interface (wxpython
by default)
                                   and set as default
  -tcltk                         use Tcl/Tk based graphical user interface
                                   and set as default
  -oldtcltk                      use old Tcl/Tk based graphical user
interface
                                   and set as default
  -wxpython or -wx               use wxPython based graphical user interface
                                   and set as default

Parameters:
  GISDBASE                       initial database (path to GIS data)
  LOCATION_NAME                  initial location
  MAPSET                         initial mapset

  GISDBASE/LOCATION_NAME/MAPSET  fully qualified initial mapset directory

Environment variables relevant for startup:
  GRASS_GUI                      select GUI (text, gui, tcltk, oldtcltk,
wxpython)
  GRASS_TCLSH                    set tclsh shell name to override 'tclsh'
  GRASS_WISH                     set wish shell name to override 'wish'
  GRASS_HTML_BROWSER             set html web browser for help pages
  GRASS_ADDON_PATH               set additional path(s) to local GRASS
modules
  GRASS_BATCH_JOB                shell script to be processed as batch job
  GRASS_PYTHON                   set python shell name to override 'python'
rkrug@ecolmod:~/deb$

So it should be doable relatively easily I guess.

So the environmental variables needed would be:

 GISDBASE                    initial database (path to GIS data)
 LOCATION_NAME               initial location
 MAPSET                      initial mapset

So that GRASS can build

 GISDBASE/LOCATION_NAME/MAPSET  fully qualified initial mapset directory

Thinking of it, a GRASS code block

#+begin_src grass
#+end_src

would be a sh code block, in which as the first command "grass -text" is
executed, i.e.

#+begin_src grass
  grass -text
#+end_src

For tangling: GRASS scripts are executed usually from within GRASS, so
they are normal sh scripts (same shebang and all)

So implementation should be rather straight forward, I think?

Just a side note: as GRASS installs in addition to the command grass
also a command "grass64" for version 6.4 etc, it would be nice to have
the command "grass" modifiable.

Cheers,

Rainer

> Best -- Eric
>
> Thorsten  <gruenderteam.berlin@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> Hello Babel developers,
>> just two suggestions for new languages:
>> 1. GRASS GIS
>> As far as I know there is no grass-mode in emacs, but some expert people are
>> successful running grass processes together with R processes in ESS.
>> Since GRASS and R are natural allies, it would be great to use the GRASS
>> engine in an org-file to retrieve spatial data and then analyse the data
>> with R in the same file - would make Org a kind of emacs-grassmode
>> replacement.
>> 2. Lilypond
>> A nice to have for all the music lovers in the org community.
>> Regards
>> Thorsten

- --

@ 2011-02-16 21:21   ` Shelagh Manton
From: Shelagh Manton @ 2011-02-16 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 10:59:19 +0100, Christian Moe wrote:

> Earlier thread on Lilypond:
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/31324

I did end up doing some work on this. I got it to the stage of creating
the lilypond images but having some difficulties with paths etc. ie the
file exists but not where org-babel expects to find it. So it does not
show up in the file in a results block.

I've been so busy, I have not visited this problem at all recently.
Perhaps if someone is interested to help we could work on this together.
I could put it on github. Let me know.

Shelagh

@ 2011-02-17 18:40     ` Martyn Jago
From: Martyn Jago @ 2011-02-17 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

I would be interested in a solution to lilypond within org, and would be
happy to fork on github and help out (I currently have some time too).

Martyn

Shelagh Manton <shelagh.manton@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 10:59:19 +0100, Christian Moe wrote:
>
>> Earlier thread on Lilypond:
>> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/31324
>>

> I did end up doing some work on this. I got it to the stage of creating
> the lilypond images but having some difficulties with paths etc. ie the
> file exists but not where org-babel expects to find it. So it does not
> show up in the file in a results block.
>
> I've been so busy, I have not visited this problem at all recently.
> Perhaps if someone is interested to help we could work on this together.
> I could put it on github. Let me know.
>
> Shelagh
>
>> CM
>>
>> On 2/15/11 2:02 AM, Thorsten wrote:
>>> Hello Babel developers,
>>> just two suggestions for new languages: 1. GRASS GIS
>>> As far as I know there is no grass-mode in emacs, but some expert
>>> people are successful running grass processes together with R processes
>>> in ESS. Since GRASS and R are natural allies, it would be great to use
>>> the GRASS engine in an org-file to retrieve spatial data and then
>>> analyse the data with R in the same file - would make Org a kind of
>>> emacs-grassmode replacement.
>>> 2. Lilypond
>>> A nice to have for all the music lovers in the org community. Regards
>>> Thorsten

* Re: [babel] Suggestions: GRASS GIS und Lilypond
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-02-18 22:39 ` Thorsten
From: Thorsten @ 2011-02-18 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,
sorry for not participating in the discussion, but my exposition
to Orgmode has been recent so I would not have been able to commit
something valuable to the discussion. But I would be a happy user of
both new babel languages grass gis and lilypond, and it seems I'm not
alone.

Especially in the grass gis case it would be really helpfull if an
expert ecologist on the list ;) could write a little tutorial on Worg,
once the grass functionality is available, showing how to do literate
GIS-programming in an org-file, using and integrating all three
languages (grass, R, python).

Thanks for considering my suggestions

@ 2011-02-20 20:37       ` Shelagh Manton
From: Shelagh Manton @ 2011-02-20 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 18:40:23 +0000, Martyn Jago wrote:

> Hi
>
> I would be interested in a solution to lilypond within org, and would be
> happy to fork on github and help out (I currently have some time too).
>
> Martyn

Ok Martyn,

I've put what I have done in a git repo on github.

git@github.com:sshelagh/ob-lilypond.git

Things that need looking into.

The paths that are being generated so that the results block can find the
images.

The lilypond commands that tell it to make a "snippet" picture. I started
looking into this as it seems to have changed since I last used lilypond
this way. I researched the switches but never actually tested them. -D
preview.

I wonder how the changing syntax of lilypond can be dealt with? Will we
need to test for lilypond versions?

Best wishes

Shelagh

@ 2011-02-20 20:42         ` Shelagh Manton
From: Shelagh Manton @ 2011-02-20 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 20:37:19 +0000, Shelagh Manton wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 18:40:23 +0000, Martyn Jago wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I would be interested in a solution to lilypond within org, and would
>> be happy to fork on github and help out (I currently have some time
>> too).
>>
>> Martyn
>
> Ok Martyn,
>
> I've put what I have done in a git repo on github.
>
> git@github.com:sshelagh/ob-lilypond.git
>
> Things that need looking into.
>
> The paths that are being generated so that the results block can find
> the images.
>
> The lilypond commands that tell it to make a "snippet" picture. I
> started looking into this as it seems to have changed since I last used
> lilypond this way. I researched the switches but never actually tested
> them. -D preview.
>
> I wonder how the changing syntax of lilypond can be dealt with? Will we
> need to test for lilypond versions?
>
> Best wishes
>
> Shelagh
>

>> Shelagh Manton <shelagh.manton@gmail.com> writes:

Oops! I think this is the write access address. The following is the non-
write access address.

git://github.com/sshelagh/ob-lilypond.git

Shelagh
[snip]

* Re: [babel] Suggestions: GRASS GIS und Lilypond
@ 2011-02-21 13:01           ` Martyn Jago
From: Martyn Jago @ 2011-02-21 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Shelagh Manton <shelagh.manton@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 20:37:19 +0000, Shelagh Manton wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 18:40:23 +0000, Martyn Jago wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I would be interested in a solution to lilypond within org, and would
>>> be happy to fork on github and help out (I currently have some time
>>> too).
>>>
>>> Martyn
>>
>> Ok Martyn,
>>
>> I've put what I have done in a git repo on github.
>>
>> git@github.com:sshelagh/ob-lilypond.git
>>
>> Things that need looking into.
>>
>> The paths that are being generated so that the results block can find
>> the images.
>>
>> The lilypond commands that tell it to make a "snippet" picture. I
>> started looking into this as it seems to have changed since I last used
>> lilypond this way. I researched the switches but never actually tested
>> them. -D preview.
>>
>> I wonder how the changing syntax of lilypond can be dealt with? Will we
>> need to test for lilypond versions?
>>
>> Best wishes
>>
>> Shelagh

> Oops! I think this is the write access address. The following is the non-
> write access address.
>
> git://github.com/sshelagh/ob-lilypond.git
>
> Shelagh
> [snip]

Hi Shelagh

Thanks, I'll take a look.