* Print headlines including DEADLINE?
@ 2008-12-08 19:29 Christopher DeMarco
From: Christopher DeMarco @ 2008-12-08 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

So I have a custom agenda search:

    (setq org-agenda-custom-commands '(("p" "Projects" tags "+xxx|+xx|+x")))

I'd like to also show the DEADLINEs for these projects.  Is there an
easy way to do that?

--
Christopher DeMarco <demarco@maya.com>
IT Director

* Re: Print headlines including DEADLINE?
@ 2008-12-09  7:17 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-12-09  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher DeMarco; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Christopher,

you may want to take a look at column view, which can show the deadline.
Get back here when you cannot figure out how to do this.

- Carsten

@ 2008-12-16  3:12   ` Christopher DeMarco
From: Christopher DeMarco @ 2008-12-16  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 08:17:38AM +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> you may want to take a look at column view, which can show the deadline.
> Get back here when you cannot figure out how to do this.

OK, so I can't figure out how to do this :-)

First, how I'm using org-mode:

Inside ~/working I have nested project directories; some for home and
some for work; projects within projects within projects.  Whenever I
need a new PROJECTNAME.org, I create it wherever in the hierarchy it
belongs, and then symlink it into the proper toplevel (which roughly
corresponds to the start of a particular SVN or Git repository).  This
way, I have much smaller list of org-agenda-files to maintain.

I have some custom agenda views defined, that tell me things like what
I have to do today, and what to do in various contexts etc.  For this
I aggregate all of the .org files I've written.

I don't want to go adding a :COLUMNS: property to every .org file that
I want to include in a custom view; I'd rather define :COLUMNS: for
"types" of views that I want.  Where would I define this?  I suppose
that I could write definitions in "hidden" files that get explicitly
sourced based on what view I want, but that seems roundabout...

Thanks... and org-mode rocks!

--

@ 2008-12-17  9:00     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-12-17  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher DeMarco; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Christopher,

Changing the columns format from view to view is not trivial.

This is what the variable org-overriding-column-format is
for.  You must not set this in a normal way, but only as
an option for an agenda command, for example

(setq org-agenda-custom-commands
       '(("x" "With deadline columns" alltodo ""
	 ((org-agenda-overriding-columns-format "%20ITEM %DEADLINE")
	  (org-agenda-start-view-columns-initially t)))))

This will define the "x" as an agenda dispatcher custom key,
creating an agenda view, defining a special columns format,
and immediately turning on column view.

Hmmm, at least this was *supposed* to work this way, but I see
now that there is a little bug.

You need to get the latest git release (or release 6.15c)
for this to work correctly....

- Carsten