* help with checklist/shopping list
@ 2008-12-10 19:42 Dennis Groves
       [not found] ` <5641883d0812101638r11aff384vbf0886cba3ef6cf1@mail.gmail.com>
From: Dennis Groves @ 2008-12-10 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have 8 things on the list, but only 4 are seen???

*** [2008-12-15 Mon] [0/4]
groceries
    - [ ] bananas
    - [ ] apples
    - [ ] oranges
    - [ ] spinach
household
    - [ ] laundry soap
    - [ ] toilet paper
office supplies
    - [ ] calendar for 2009
    - [ ] printer paper

Dennis

[-- Attachment #1.2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: help with checklist/shopping list
       [not found] ` <5641883d0812101638r11aff384vbf0886cba3ef6cf1@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2008-12-11  0:46   ` Oliver Charles
From: Oliver Charles @ 2008-12-11  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode Org-Mode

Yes, this is because org does not support multiple separate lists
under a single heading like that. Why have something like:

* [2008-12-15 Mon] Shopping
** Groceries [/]
   - [ ] bananas
   - [ ] apples
** Household [/]
   - [ ] Laundry Soap

etc?

Hth,
Ollie

@ 2008-12-11  5:01   ` Dennis Groves
From: Dennis Groves @ 2008-12-11  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Charles; +Cc: emacs-orgmode Org-Mode

Hi Oliver,

Thanks, I see how that would work for groceries - something I made up
to hide my real 'data'... I am managing a project for a product and
the information was confidential, but my problem wasn't. So, I wanted
to get a 'list' size for the major tasks in the project. And the
project is broken down into 'phases' with certain task happening in
each phase. I wanted a quick way of knowing how far I am into a
project and [%] how complete it is as I near a deadline - but I didn't
want to have to manually add up all the subsections and try and
determine this number on my own.

Dennis

@ 2008-12-11 10:06     ` Oliver Charles
From: Oliver Charles @ 2008-12-11 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dennis Groves; +Cc: emacs-orgmode Org-Mode

Hi Dennis,

Yea, I understand - I was trying to use lists like this for a similar
goal. Saddly, there's no real work around that I'm aware of - bit of a
shame!

Best,
Oliver

@ 2008-12-11 10:14 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-12-11 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dennis Groves; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi

There are technical reasons for why I cannot easily summarize all the
lists.

How about this trick:

* [2008-12-15 Mon] [1/8]
   - groceries ------------------------------------
   - [ ] bananas
   - [X] apples
   - [ ] oranges
   - [ ] spinach
   - household ------------------------------------
   - [ ] laundry soap
   - [ ] toilet paper
   - office supplies ------------------------------
   - [ ] calendar for 2009
   - [ ] printer paper

HTH

- Carsten

@ 2008-12-18  6:18   ` Daniel J. Sinder
From: Daniel J. Sinder @ 2008-12-18  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

(Sorry for chiming in a week later.)

I think the best way to accomplish this, in that it combines the
strengths of other suggestions, is to use properties and column
view.  Building the structure is pretty easy since you only have to
manually create the property drawer under the top-most heading.  The
rest are inserted automatically when the check boxes are changed
while in column view mode (using S-left or S-right).

Here's an implementation of your example.  Switching to column view
shows you the summary count (i.e., [n/m]) for to top level (here
[2/8]) AND each of the sub-levels (groceries [1/4], household [1/2],
office supplies [0/2]).

* [2008-12-15 Mon]
   :PROPERTIES:
   :COLUMNS: %30ITEM %CHECKED{X/}