* Very slow agenda view
@ 2008-08-14  8:59 Thomas Stenhaug
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Thomas Stenhaug @ 2008-08-14  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I'm using Org-mode 6.0.6b, on a fairly beefy box.  Building the Agenda
view is very slow, 10+ seconds for 16 files with a total of 1119
lines.  All org-files are byte-compiled.

I tried setting org-agenda-files to a single, small file just to test,
and it still took over a second to produce the agenda view.

This doesn't seem right.  Does anyone have a clue what to check?

Thomas

* Re: Very slow agenda view
@ 2008-08-14 11:48 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2008-08-14 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Stenhaug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Thomas Stenhaug" <thomas.stenhaug@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm using Org-mode 6.0.6b, on a fairly beefy box.  Building the Agenda
> view is very slow, 10+ seconds for 16 files with a total of 1119
> lines.  All org-files are byte-compiled.
>
> I tried setting org-agenda-files to a single, small file just to test,
> and it still took over a second to produce the agenda view.
>
> This doesn't seem right.  Does anyone have a clue what to check?

Something is definitely wrong here.  I have 18 files totaling 14456
lines currently and the agenda displays in 1 second on a not-so-beefy
laptop (1.5GHz Intel P4M) running Linux.

I'm assuming your agenda view is the daily or weekly view.

Try starting with a minimal emacs setup.  Maybe you have some hook
active that is slowing things down.

-Bernt

* Re: Very slow agenda view
@ 2008-08-14 12:27 ` Michael Ekstrand
From: Michael Ekstrand @ 2008-08-14 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Thomas Stenhaug" <thomas.stenhaug@gmail.com> writes:
> I'm using Org-mode 6.0.6b, on a fairly beefy box.  Building the Agenda
> view is very slow, 10+ seconds for 16 files with a total of 1119
> lines.  All org-files are byte-compiled.
>
> I tried setting org-agenda-files to a single, small file just to test,
> and it still took over a second to produce the agenda view.
>
> This doesn't seem right.  Does anyone have a clue what to check?

What kind/how complex is the agenda view you are trying to use?
Multiple tag queries with tag inheritance turned on can take noticeable
time, and property queries can take even longer.

- Michael

--
mouse, n: A device for pointing at the xterm in which you want to type.
Confused by the strange files?  I cryptographically sign my messages.

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 196 bytes --]

* Re: Re: Very slow agenda view
@ 2008-08-14 13:51   ` Thomas Stenhaug
From: Thomas Stenhaug @ 2008-08-14 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Ekstrand; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Michael Ekstrand <michael@elehack.net> writes:

> What kind/how complex is the agenda view you are trying to use?
> Multiple tag queries with tag inheritance turned on can take noticeable
> time, and property queries can take even longer.

I'm using `org-agenda-list', and the files are quite simple, no
properties, small amount of tags.

To make certain it's none of my other customizations interfering, i just
tried with a clean .emacs, except for the loading org-mode part.

--
Thomas

* Re: Very slow agenda view
@ 2008-08-14 15:43     ` Michael Ekstrand
From: Michael Ekstrand @ 2008-08-14 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thomas Stenhaug <thomas.stenhaug@gmail.com> writes:
> Michael Ekstrand <michael@elehack.net> writes:
>> What kind/how complex is the agenda view you are trying to use?
>> Multiple tag queries with tag inheritance turned on can take noticeable
>> time, and property queries can take even longer.
>
> I'm using `org-agenda-list', and the files are quite simple, no
> properties, small amount of tags.
>
> To make certain it's none of my other customizations interfering, i just
> tried with a clean .emacs, except for the loading org-mode part.

Then I'm afraid that my advice/suggestions must be at an end; I have
only ever encountered slowness when dealing with complex agenda queries.
I'll leave it for others with more and more varied experience to try to
determine what's happening.

- Michael

--

@ 2008-08-14 19:14   ` Thomas Stenhaug
From: Thomas Stenhaug @ 2008-08-14 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> "Thomas Stenhaug" <thomas.stenhaug@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I'm using Org-mode 6.0.6b, on a fairly beefy box.  Building the Agenda
>> view is very slow, 10+ seconds for 16 files with a total of 1119
>> lines.  All org-files are byte-compiled.
>>
>> I tried setting org-agenda-files to a single, small file just to test,
>> and it still took over a second to produce the agenda view.
>>
>> This doesn't seem right.  Does anyone have a clue what to check?

The org-files were on an NFS mount on the machine I tried to use it.
*blush*  I'm down to nearly-instant when I fixed that.

--
Thomas

* Re: Very slow agenda view
@ 2008-08-14 21:42 ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2008-08-14 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Stenhaug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thomas Stenhaug schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using Org-mode 6.0.6b, on a fairly beefy box.  Building the Agenda
> view is very slow, 10+ seconds for 16 files with a total of 1119
> lines.  All org-files are byte-compiled.
>
> I tried setting org-agenda-files to a single, small file just to test,
> and it still took over a second to produce the agenda view.
>
> This doesn't seem right.  Does anyone have a clue what to check?
>

> Thomas

thank you for bringing up the issue.
I have also been troubled by performance issues with my agenda views.

I have about 12000 lines of org text. Starting this agenda view

  ("A" agenda "prio A agenda"
          ((org-agenda-skip-function
            (lambda nil
              (org-agenda-skip-entry-if (quote notregexp) "\\=.*\\[#A\\]")))
           (org-agenda-ndays 3)
           (org-deadline-warning-days -1)
           (org-agenda-overriding-header "Today's Priority #A tasks: ")))

takes several seconds on my EmacsW32 3 GHz CPU. After changing the tag
inheritance setting to nil the view shows in about 1 second! Which is
good enough!

Rainer

* Re: Re: Very slow agenda view
@ 2008-08-15 17:05   ` Jason F. McBrayer
From: Jason F. McBrayer @ 2008-08-15 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

Rainer Stengele <rainer.stengele@yahoo.de> writes:

> takes several seconds on my EmacsW32 3 GHz CPU. After changing the tag
> inheritance setting to nil the view shows in about 1 second! Which is
> good enough!

I have the same behaviour here; I had thought that the slowness was
mainly due to some of my agenda files being on a slow flash drive, but
tag inheritance turns out to be a much bigger factor.  Which is kind of
unfortunate, as some of my searches depended on tag inheritance, but I'm
willing to re-tag some things to get my agenda showing faster.

| Jason F. McBrayer                    jmcbray@carcosa.net  |
| If someone conquers a thousand times a thousand others in |
| battle, and someone else conquers himself, the latter one |
| is the greatest of all conquerors.  --- The Dhammapada    |

* Re: Re: Very slow agenda view
@ 2008-09-13 19:22     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-09-13 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason F. McBrayer; +Cc: org-mode

On Aug 15, 2008, at 7:05 PM, Jason F. McBrayer wrote:

> Rainer Stengele <rainer.stengele@yahoo.de> writes:
>
>> takes several seconds on my EmacsW32 3 GHz CPU. After changing the
>> tag
>> inheritance setting to nil the view shows in about 1 second! Which is
>> good enough!
>
> I have the same behaviour here; I had thought that the slowness was
> mainly due to some of my agenda files being on a slow flash drive, but
> tag inheritance turns out to be a much bigger factor.  Which is kind
> of
> unfortunate, as some of my searches depended on tag inheritance, but
> I'm
> willing to re-tag some things to get my agenda showing faster.

One thing that might help is the following:

A tags/property search will suffer only a little from tag inheritance,
because it systematically walks through all headlines with all tags
anyway.

Another view like the daily/weekly agenda view or the TODO list will
suffer from tag inheritance, because each matching entry will scan
upward the hierarchy to find out what the inherited tags are, just so
that the agenda view can display the tags *on demand*.

So you could turn on tag inheritance for tags matches and turn it off
for other views, using the command-specific option settings, like so:

("A" agenda "prio A agenda"
         ((org-agenda-skip-function
           (lambda nil
             (org-agenda-skip-entry-if (quote notregexp) "\\=.*\\[#A\
\]")))
          (org-agenda-ndays 3)
          (org-deadline-warning-days -1)
          (org-use-tag-inheritance nil)
          (org-agenda-overriding-header "Today's Priority #A tasks: ")))

The disadvantage will be that the "T" key in the agenda will no longer
show any inherited tags, and also that the new filtering-by-tag (the
"/" key in the aganda) will ignore inherited tags.

HTH

- Carsten

* Re: Re: Very slow agenda view
@ 2008-09-16 17:06       ` Jason F. McBrayer
From: Jason F. McBrayer @ 2008-09-16 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: org-mode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> So you could turn on tag inheritance for tags matches and turn it off
> for other views, using the command-specific option settings, like so:

Yes, that's helpful (in principle).  I'm going to try it out and see if
it helps much with the actual views I use.  Thanks.