* org to pdf presentation conversion
@ 2007-08-15  9:18 Christian Egli
From: Christian Egli @ 2007-08-15  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all

I just stumbled across this blog by Andy Wingo who is using org-mode to create
pdf presentations. He wrote some scripts that convert an org file to SVG and
from there to pdf. For more information see the the blog entry
(http://wingolog.org/archives/2007/07/11/fold-xml-presentations) and web page of
the tool (http://wingolog.org/software/guile-present/doc/org-to-pdf-presentation/).

Christian

* Re: org to pdf presentation conversion
@ 2007-08-16  3:27 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-08-16  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Christian Egli <christian.egli@novell.com> writes:

> I just stumbled across this blog by Andy Wingo who is using org-mode
> to create pdf presentations. He wrote some scripts that convert an org
> file to SVG and from there to pdf.

Looks interesting.  Did you try it?  Here i got a problem with
rsvg-convert (which works fine otherwise).

Another way to use Org files to produce presentations would be to
convert them to S5 format (based on xoxo microformat):

  http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/s5/xoxo-structure-min.html

--
Bastien

* S5 Based presentations in Orgmode (Was Re: org to pdf presentation conversion)
@ 2008-08-04  9:27   ` Rick Moynihan
From: Rick Moynihan @ 2008-08-04  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I've been thinking about how org-mode would make a good format for
writing and publishing slides and presentations.

Then I remembered reading something about this on here already (and
found this thread).

 > Christian Egli <christian.egli@novell.com> writes:
 >
 >> I just stumbled across this blog by Andy Wingo who is using org-mode
 >> to create pdf presentations. He wrote some scripts that convert an org
 >> file to SVG and from there to pdf.
 >
 > Looks interesting.  Did you try it?  Here i got a problem with
 > rsvg-convert (which works fine otherwise).

Has anyone on here tried this, and developed presentations in org-mode?

Bastien wrote:
> Another way to use Org files to produce presentations would be to
> convert them to S5 format (based on xoxo microformat):
>
>   http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/s5/xoxo-structure-min.html

Now S5 ( http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/s5/ ), is something that's
always appealed to me as a presentation format (though I've not yet used
it myself).  And I think going from Org-mode to an S5 presentation would
be really handy.  Particularly if we can export source code snippets etc
with full syntax highlighting.

I briefly looked at transforming from the XOXO export format to S5, but
it seems the XOXO exporter only converts the outline, and none of the
detail which seems to rule this out, for anything but the most trivial
presentations.

Would it be a big job to modify either the XOXO exporter or the XHTML
exporter to support S5 as an additional export format?  I took a brief
look at the code, but I'm not much of an elisper, and it seems quite
complicated.  Am I right, is this a big job?

I was thinking I might be able to define an XSLT transformation from the
XHTML to export into S5 format, but it seems it'd be better to have an
elisp implementation.

Alternatively org-infojs seems close in spirit to S5, though it doesn't
quite feel like a presentation in terms of it's styling (though I'm sure
it'd be easy to style it to look more like S5.

R.