* Reveal Problem
@ 2008-07-28  4:20 srandby
From: srandby @ 2008-07-28  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: [Orgmode]

I upgraded my org-mode to 6.06b which took care of the problem of
showing undesired headlines after a search, but a new issue has arisen.

Say I have the following text:

* Grades
** Student 1
*** Exams  :exams:
     Exam scores
*** Homework  :homework:
     Homework scores
** Student 2
*** Exams  :exams:
     Exam scores
*** Homework  :homework:
     Homework scores

If I do 'C-c \ exams' I get the following:

* Grades
** Student 1
*** Exams  :exams:
** Student 2
*** Exams  :exams:

If I now hit <TAB> with the cursor on the third line down, I get this:

* Grades
** Student 1
*** Exams  :exams:
     Exam scores
*** Homework  :homework:
** Student 2
*** Exams  :exams:

The problem is that I don't want the '*** Homework :homework:' line to
be displayed. I've played around with the org-reveal-location
customizations, but I can't find any way to stop the display of the
unwanted headline. Is there a way to do this?

Scott Randby

* Re: Reveal Problem
@ 2008-07-28 15:05 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-07-28 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: srandby; +Cc: [Orgmode]

Hi Scott,

this is supposed to be a *feature*.  The problem is, if you show the
text below such a headline in a sparse tree, then the next heading is
still attached to the last line of the text made visible, and that
causes problems when editing.  You can try this by going to one of those
headline revealed by the sparse tree command and typing

   M-s show-entry

Then the last line of the text made visible contains ellipses.
Suppose you now start editing this text, move the cursor directly
before the 3 points and type a few characters.  Strange things will
happen and when you later make the whole buffer visible with `C-c C-a'
you wil see that you typed somewhere in invisible text, but not where
you intended to.

Therefore, when making the text under a headline visible, I also force
the next headline to be visibile so that editing is safe, assuming
that you are intending to edit that text.

Why does it bother you so much?

- Carsten

On Jul 27, 2008, at 9:20 PM, srandby@gmail.com wrote:

> I upgraded my org-mode to 6.06b which took care of the problem of
> showing undesired headlines after a search, but a new issue has
> arisen.
>
> Say I have the following text:
>
> * Grades
> ** Student 1
> *** Exams  :exams:
>    Exam scores
> *** Homework  :homework:
>    Homework scores
> ** Student 2
> *** Exams  :exams:
>    Exam scores
> *** Homework  :homework:
>    Homework scores
>
> If I do 'C-c \ exams' I get the following:
>
> * Grades
> ** Student 1
> *** Exams  :exams:
> ** Student 2
> *** Exams  :exams:
>
> If I now hit <TAB> with the cursor on the third line down, I get this:
>
> * Grades
> ** Student 1
> *** Exams  :exams:
>    Exam scores
> *** Homework  :homework:
> ** Student 2
> *** Exams  :exams:
>
> The problem is that I don't want the '*** Homework :homework:' line
> to be displayed. I've played around with the org-reveal-location
> customizations, but I can't find any way to stop the display of the
> unwanted headline. Is there a way to do this?
>
> Scott Randby

* Re: Reveal Problem
@ 2008-07-28 16:22   ` srandby
From: srandby @ 2008-07-28 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: [Orgmode]

Hi Carsten,

I understand and appreciate your point, but in my case there is no
danger of accidentally typing in invisible text. The reason I don't want
to display the next headline is that I wish to fold the headlined region
I'm working in and return everything to the state it was when I first
did the search. However, I've resolved the issue by placing a blank
headline between tagged headlines as follows:

* Grades
** Student 1
*** Exams  :exams:
     Exam scores
***
*** Homework  :homework:
     Homework scores

This way the blank headline is displayed instead of the tagged headline
and everything looks nice when I refold headlined regions. (I hope I'm
using correct terminology here.)

Many thanks for your help.

Scott Randby