* make error when making org fro git
@ 2008-04-11 16:26 Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2008-04-11 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I want to make org-mode from git and get this error:

While compiling toplevel forms in file /u/tmp/org-mode/lisp/org-archive.el:
   !! Symbol's function definition is void ((declare))
Done
make: *** [lisp/org-archive.elc] Error 1

Is that my fault or a bug?

Rainer

-----
debian 4.0
GNU Emacs 21.4.1

* Re: make error when making org fro git
@ 2008-04-11 17:44 ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2008-04-11 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 9:56 PM, Rainer Stengele wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  I want to make org-mode from git and get this error:
>

>  While compiling toplevel forms in file /u/tmp/org-mode/lisp/org-archive.el:
>   !! Symbol's function definition is void ((declare))
>  Done
>  make: *** [lisp/org-archive.elc] Error 1
>

>  Is that my fault or a bug?

Not sure about the error but latest pull (commit
1018c67ebb4b11b1120410d2bf2e0eca1965e458) compiles cleanly on my
system (Cygwin+Emacs 22.1.1)

-- Manish

* Re: make error when making org fro git
@ 2008-04-11 22:26 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-04-11 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 11, 2008, at 6:26 PM, Rainer Stengele wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I want to make org-mode from git and get this error:
>

> While compiling toplevel forms in file /u/tmp/org-mode/lisp/org-
> archive.el:
>  !! Symbol's function definition is void ((declare))
> Done
> make: *** [lisp/org-archive.elc] Error 1

It is the fault of emacs 21, I think.

try editing the file org-macs.el and delete all lines starting with
'(declare',
then remove all .elc files with "make cleanelc", and try "make" again.

- Carsten

* Re: make error when making org fro git
@ 2008-04-12 16:14   ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2008-04-12 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

yes, that made it work.
I did not choose to use emacs 21 - it is debian 4 default version.

Actually I misused my debain system to try to get a "make" for my
windows xp where I cannot get anything to work natively from git.
Doing a "make autoloads" I try to use the lisp directory under windows.
Hope that will work.

With the old org "system" I could simply use the lisp files as given
but with the new structure I have to create the org-install.el file which is not working under windows.

Thanx,

Rainer

@ 2008-04-12 18:14     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-04-12 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 12, 2008, at 6:14 PM, Rainer Stengele wrote:

> yes, that made it work.
> I did not choose to use emacs 21 - it is debian 4 default version.
>
> Actually I misused my debain system to try to get a "make" for my
> windows xp where I cannot get anything to work natively from git.
> Doing a "make autoloads" I try to use the lisp directory under
> windows.
> Hope that will work.

That should work.

> With the old org "system" I could simply use the lisp files as given
> but with the new structure I have to create the org-install.el file
> which is not working under windows.

Well, this is not fully correct.

First of all, by the "old" system, I guess you mean the distribution
files in the form of zip or tar archives?  These will still contain
the org-install.el file and in this way this is not changed at all
from the old system.  The git repo is the bleeding edge development
version.  For technical reasons I cannot distribute a derived file
like org-install.el with this repository.  And to fully use the git
repo you will indeed need a system that can run a few basic
development tools, like make - not asking too much in my opinion.

We have not had a release now for a while because the splitting
operation is a major undertaking.  Once that is done, I will have more
regular releases again, and then you can use the release files to stay
close to the development version.

Furthermore, I do have a plan B for using the git repo, and that is
simply doing (require 'org) instead of (require org-install).  This is
not the preferred method because it does load the rather large Org
system into Emacs each time you start emacs.  The preferred method is
to use (require 'org-install) for a distribution, and *nothing* when
Org is distributed with Emacs, because there it is fully autoloaded.

However, there are enough people who have never read the installation
instructions close enough to know that in a downloaed version (require
org-install) is the correct method to activate Org.  Also,
unfortunately, the excellent tutorial by David O'Toole, for many
people the entry gate into Org, explains to use (require 'org).
Therefore I am trying to set things up in a way that also this will
work.  If it does not, you can report this as a bug and I will fix it.

- Carsten

* Re: make error when making org fro git
@ 2008-04-14 11:20       ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2008-04-14 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I just tried to "make" the git version of org-mode inside emacs.
That worked without problems.

All my problems before I ran into because I tried to "make" under windows native!

So sorry for the noise. Everything then works as expected - I can use the git version!

Rainer