Yes, your understanding is correct (I use that for SSH session into my remote Linux box). The biggest benefit I got from AutoHotKey is now I can use the right Alt key in Putty sessions, since I mapped the right Alt key to the left Alt key. I don't understand why under Putty, a lot of control keys work out of box on editors like "nano", but it is so twisted to have them work in Emacs. As much as I like Emacs, I think people dreaming in "Emacs is (nearly) perfect" need to wake up. Here is some example key bindings from my emacs config: -------------- ;; this is inside my org-mode-hook ;; Alternative key binding for putty. basically Meta is replaced with C-x, Ctrl is ;; replaced with C-c ;; for M-up/down/left/right (define-key org-mode-map [(control x) up] 'org-metaup) (define-key org-mode-map [(control x) down] 'org-metadown) (define-key org-mode-map [(control x) left] 'org-metaleft) (define-key org-mode-map [(control x) right] 'org-metaright) ;; for C-up/down/left/right (define-key org-mode-map [(control c) up] 'org-shiftup) (define-key org-mode-map [(control c) down] 'org-shiftdown) (define-key org-mode-map [(control c) left] 'org-shiftleft) (define-key org-mode-map [(control c) right] 'org-shiftright) ;; actually, M-return works in putty. So we use "C-x return" to do "M-S return" (local-unset-key (kbd "C-x RET")) ;; originally bound globally to char coding commands (define-key org-mode-map (kbd "C-x RET") 'org-insert-todo-heading) ----------- Attached is my AutoHotKey script. Manish wrote: > On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 8:55 PM, Wanrong Lin wrote: > >> What I did is: >> Add some alternative TTY key bindings for some frequently used commands, >> and use "AutoHotkey" to map things like "M-RET" to those TTY key >> bindings. Not ideal, but works fine. >> >> > > If I understand you correctly, what you are suggesting is to use > alternative key binds as suggested by Giovanni and use AutoHotKey to > `translate' S- to C-c for example. Hmm. Not a bad idea > at all. Should work. > > Can you please share relevant pieces from your .emacs and AHK script? > > -- Manish >