* Bug: return key does not show the subtree the first time on a newly opened org file
@ 2008-02-27 16:59 Wanrong Lin
From: Wanrong Lin @ 2008-02-27 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I have the following in my org-mode configuration:

(setq org-return-follows-link t)

Also, by default my org files are in overview mode (folded) when opened.

Usually, if my cursor is at the beginning of a heading, I can use the
return key to cycle the visibility of its subtree. However, this does
not work when I open an org file and do it the first time (the return
key will just insert a blank line before the heading). But after the
first time, it works fine again.

Thanks a lot for looking into this.

Wanrong

* Re: Bug: return key does not show the subtree the first time on a newly opened org file
@ 2008-02-27 17:14 ` Wanrong Lin
From: Wanrong Lin @ 2008-02-27 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Forgot to mention this:

To reproduce the bug, after opening an org file, don't do anything
(don't even move the cursor),  just press the return key. I use
"session.el", so when I open an org file, the cursor will go to the the
position of my last change in the buffer, and I can arrange the point to
be on a heading. If you don't use "session.el", here is another way to
reproduce the bug:

Open a test org file "test.org" and put the following into it,

* TODO A
Test                                                             :mytag:
  SCHEDULED: <2008-02-27 Wed>

*Close* the file, do a tag search on "mytag", in the search result
press  "TAB"  key to jump to the "TODO A Test" heading, which should be
folded. Press return key and you will see the failure. Do it again and
it works.

Wanrong

@ 2008-02-28  1:38 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2008-02-28  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wanrong Lin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Wanrong Lin <wanrong.lin@gmail.com> writes:

> I have the following in my org-mode configuration:
>
> (setq org-return-follows-link t)

This is about following links, no (un)folding subtrees...

> Usually, if my cursor is at the beginning of a heading, I can use the
> return key to cycle the visibility of its subtree.

AFAIK, <RET> doesn't (un)fold a subtree.  Maybe you mean the <TAB> key?
I guess I'm missing something...

--
Bastien

* Re: Bug: return key does not show the subtree the first time on a newly opened org file
@ 2008-02-28  2:16   ` Wanrong Lin
From: Wanrong Lin @ 2008-02-28  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien wrote:
> Wanrong Lin <wanrong.lin@gmail.com> writes:
>

>> I have the following in my org-mode configuration:
>>
>> (setq org-return-follows-link t)
>>

> This is about following links, no (un)folding subtrees...

Yes, but only with this setting will <return> key be added to the
"org-mouse-map" key map, and be bound to "org-open-at-point" command
under certain contexts (like on the leading stars of a heading).
Further, "org-open-at-point" is advised by org-mouse.el, which will do
"org-cycle" under certain contexts.
>> Usually, if my cursor is at the beginning of a heading, I can use the
>> return key to cycle the visibility of its subtree.
>>

> AFAIK, <RET> doesn't (un)fold a subtree.  Maybe you mean the <TAB> key?
> I guess I'm missing something...

I did meant return key. See my comments above.

Thanks for your comments.

@ 2008-02-28  6:42     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-02-28  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wanrong Lin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Feb 28, 2008, at 3:16 AM, Wanrong Lin wrote:

> Bastien wrote:
>> Wanrong Lin <wanrong.lin@gmail.com> writes:
>>

>>> I have the following in my org-mode configuration:
>>>
>>> (setq org-return-follows-link t)
>>>

>> This is about following links, no (un)folding subtrees...
>>

> Yes, but only with this setting will <return> key be added to the
> "org-mouse-map" key map, and be bound to "org-open-at-point" command
> under certain contexts (like on the leading stars of a heading).
> Further, "org-open-at-point" is advised by org-mouse.el, which will
> do "org-cycle" under certain contexts.

Yes, this is really an accidental feature by a sequence of events:

org-return-follow-link will add org-return to the mouse-map
org-mouse.el will activate the stars in a headline

I can reproduce the bug, but I have no idea what is causing this, it
must be
something in the internal setup of Emacs keymaps in a new buffer,
I have no idea how to fix this or work around it.

Why in the world would you use RET for cycling instead of TAB?

- Carsten

@ 2008-02-28  9:38       ` Bastien Guerry
From: Bastien Guerry @ 2008-02-28  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

>> Yes, but only with this setting will <return> key be added to the
>> "org-mouse-map" key map, and be bound to "org-open-at-point" command
>> under certain contexts (like on the leading stars of a heading).
>> Further, "org-open-at-point" is advised by org-mouse.el, which will
>> do "org-cycle" under certain contexts.
>
> Yes, this is really an accidental feature by a sequence of events:
>
> org-return-follow-link will add org-return to the mouse-map
> org-mouse.el will activate the stars in a headline

Yes, there is an advice for this in org-mouse.el.

I think we should remove it since org-mouse.el shouldn't change the
behavior of keystrokes (only the behavior of the mouse.)

--
Bastien

* Re: Bug: return key does not show the subtree the first time on a newly opened org file
@ 2008-02-28 15:31         ` Wanrong Lin
From: Wanrong Lin @ 2008-02-28 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bastien Guerry wrote:
> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
>

>>> Yes, but only with this setting will <return> key be added to the
>>> "org-mouse-map" key map, and be bound to "org-open-at-point" command
>>> under certain contexts (like on the leading stars of a heading).
>>> Further, "org-open-at-point" is advised by org-mouse.el, which will
>>> do "org-cycle" under certain contexts.
>>>
>> Yes, this is really an accidental feature by a sequence of events:
>>
>> org-return-follow-link will add org-return to the mouse-map
>> org-mouse.el will activate the stars in a headline
>>

> Yes, there is an advice for this in org-mouse.el.
>
> I think we should remove it since org-mouse.el shouldn't change the
> behavior of keystrokes (only the behavior of the mouse.)

That probably is true. But I have doubt that removing the advice itself
and bind the key in some other place will really solve the problem. To
me, it seems somehow the first time you open a org-file, some context is
not recognized correctly and hence the key map is not activated. If I
just execute a command, any command (like "C-g" which does nothing), and
then press the return key, it will work. Is that puzzling? :-)

@ 2008-02-28 20:09       ` Wanrong Lin
From: Wanrong Lin @ 2008-02-28 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Yes, this is really an accidental feature by a sequence of events:
>
> org-return-follow-link will add org-return to the mouse-map
> org-mouse.el will activate the stars in a headline
>
> I can reproduce the bug, but I have no idea what is causing this, it
> must be
> something in the internal setup of Emacs keymaps in a new buffer,
> I have no idea how to fix this or work around it.
>
> Why in the world would you use RET for cycling instead of TAB?
>
> - Carsten
Because I discovered it and thought that was an official feature and got
used to it from day 1. :-) I will try to use Tab from now on.

@ 2008-02-29  1:21           ` Bastien Guerry
From: Bastien Guerry @ 2008-02-29  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wanrong Lin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Wanrong Lin <wanrong.lin@gmail.com> writes:

> Bastien Guerry wrote:
>>
>> Yes, there is an advice for this in org-mouse.el.
>>
>> I think we should remove it since org-mouse.el shouldn't change the
>> behavior of keystrokes (only the behavior of the mouse.)
>>
> That probably is true. But I have doubt that removing the advice itself
> and bind the key in some other place will really solve the problem. To
> me, it seems somehow the first time you open a org-file, some context is
> not recognized correctly and hence the key map is not activated. If I
> just execute a command, any command (like "C-g" which does nothing), and
> then press the return key, it will work. Is that puzzling? :-)

It *is* puzzling.

I have a fix for this.  I'm testing it a few days more and will commit
it if it works okay.

--
Bastien

* Re: Bug: return key does not show the subtree the first time on a newly opened org file
@ 2008-02-29  2:25             ` Wanrong Lin
From: Wanrong Lin @ 2008-02-29  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> It *is* puzzling.
>
> I have a fix for this.  I'm testing it a few days more and will commit
> it if it works okay.

Look forward to it. Although I am trying to get into the habit of using
TAB, it won't hurt to have the old way working too. Thanks a lot.

Wanrong