* Problems with Properties and Columns
@ 2008-02-10 21:45 Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2008-02-10 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Taking the snippet below as an example. If I try to add a Property below
My Bank using C-c C-x p I am offered completions for the Properties
defined under Web Site Passwords, not Bank Details. Is this a bug, or am
I misunderstanding the scope of the Columns directive?

Ian.

* Web Site Passwords.
   :PROPERTIES:
   :COLUMNS:  %25ITEM %USER %PASSWORD %URL %NOTES
   :END:

** Allaboutsymbian
    :PROPERTIES:
    :USER:
    :PASSWORD: sakskasszzzz
    :NOTES: some notes
    :
    :END:

* Bank Details.
   :PROPERTIES:
   :COLUMNS:  %25ITEM %ACCOUNTNO %NOTES
   :END:
** My Bank

* Re: Problems with Properties and Columns
@ 2008-02-10 21:54 ` Bastien Guerry
From: Bastien Guerry @ 2008-02-10 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Ian,

Ian Barton <lists@manor-farm.org> writes:

> Taking the snippet below as an example. If I try to add a Property below My
> Bank using C-c C-x p I am offered completions for the Properties defined
> under Web Site Passwords, not Bank Details. Is this a bug, or am I
> misunderstanding the scope of the Columns directive?

The COLUMN property just defines the column view, not the properties
themselves.  When you set a property with `C-c C-x p', the prompt offers
completion over all the properties that are found in the current buffer.

Does that answer your question?

--
Bastien

* Re: Problems with Properties and Columns
@ 2008-02-10 22:09   ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2008-02-10 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>> Taking the snippet below as an example. If I try to add a Property below My
>> Bank using C-c C-x p I am offered completions for the Properties defined
>> under Web Site Passwords, not Bank Details. Is this a bug, or am I
>> misunderstanding the scope of the Columns directive?
>
> The COLUMN property just defines the column view, not the properties
> themselves.  When you set a property with `C-c C-x p', the prompt offers
> completion over all the properties that are found in the current buffer.
>
> Does that answer your question?

Thanks Bastien. Yes and no:) In my example if I type ACC in the mini
buffer Emacs returns No Match, whereas I assume it should offer
ACCOUNTNO as a completion.

I am using org 5.21 and Xemacs 22.

Ian.

* Re: Problems with Properties and Columns
@ 2008-02-10 22:24     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2008-02-10 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Barton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ian Barton <lists@manor-farm.org> writes:

>>> Taking the snippet below as an example. If I try to add a Property below My
>>> Bank using C-c C-x p I am offered completions for the Properties defined
>>> under Web Site Passwords, not Bank Details. Is this a bug, or am I
>>> misunderstanding the scope of the Columns directive?
>>
>> The COLUMN property just defines the column view, not the properties
>> themselves.  When you set a property with `C-c C-x p', the prompt offers
>> completion over all the properties that are found in the current buffer.
>>
>> Does that answer your question?
>>

> Thanks Bastien. Yes and no:) In my example if I type ACC in the mini
> buffer Emacs returns No Match, whereas I assume it should offer
> ACCOUNTNO as a completion.

This is not the current behavior.

You have to actually use a property as a property (not as a column in
the :COLUMNS: property) so that the prompt offers it for completion.

But I agree it would be useful if Org were recognizing values in
:COLUMNS: as properties, even when they are not yet in use.

--
Bastien

* Re: Problems with Properties and Columns
@ 2008-02-11 10:21       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-02-11 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Feb 10, 2008, at 11:24 PM, Bastien wrote:

>>> The COLUMN property just defines the column view, not the properties
>>> themselves.  When you set a property with `C-c C-x p', the prompt
>>> offers
>>> completion over all the properties that are found in the current
>>> buffer.
>>>
>>> Does that answer your question?
>>>

>> Thanks Bastien. Yes and no:) In my example if I type ACC in the mini
>> buffer Emacs returns No Match, whereas I assume it should offer
>> ACCOUNTNO as a completion.
>
> This is not the current behavior.
>
> You have to actually use a property as a property (not as a column in
> the :COLUMNS: property) so that the prompt offers it for completion.
>
> But I agree it would be useful if Org were recognizing values in
> :COLUMNS: as properties, even when they are not yet in use.

Yes, I just fixed this, thanks.

  Carsten

* Re: Problems with Properties and Columns
@ 2008-02-11 10:37 ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2008-02-11 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On a separate note, I'd recommend a tool like pwsafe
(http://nsd.dyndns.org/pwsafe/) for password storage unless you
encrypt your Org files.

Russell

@ 2008-02-11 13:02   ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2008-02-11 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thanks. I keep my org files in a Truecrypt container, where they should
be safe from prying eyes.

Ian.