* when filing todos with remember org-remember-default-headline is not found
@ 2007-12-13 15:58 Rainer Stengele
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2007-12-13 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I can now reproduce a bug which annoys me since several months.

Defining a todo with remember I try to save it with C-u C-c C-c under the template-predefined headline.

The filled template is saved under the predefined headline only (!) if the org tree shows the headline!
If I fold the contents of the org buffer so that it only shows the level 1
headlines a level 2 or whatever depth headline will not be found by C-u C-c C-c.

Maybe someone can also reproduce that behaviour.

BTW - working with the remember templates in org-mode is a dream!!!
I work under Windows and use Auto Hotkey as a Macro tool.
I configured C-M-S-r to find the emacs window, bring it to the front and send
a C-M-r sequence to start the remember dialog.
In this way I can create a todo or note in whatever application I am just working.

rainer

* Re: when filing todos with remember org-remember-default-headline is not found
@ 2007-12-13 17:13 ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2007-12-13 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rainer Stengele schrieb:
> I can now reproduce a bug which annoys me since several months.
>
> Defining a todo with remember I try to save it with C-u C-c C-c under the template-predefined headline.
>
> The filled template is saved under the predefined headline only (!) if the org tree shows the headline!
> If I fold the contents of the org buffer so that it only shows the level 1
> headlines a level 2 or whatever depth headline will not be found by C-u C-c C-c.
>
> Maybe someone can also reproduce that behaviour.
>

> BTW - working with the remember templates in org-mode is a dream!!!
> I work under Windows and use Auto Hotkey as a Macro tool.
> I configured C-M-S-r to find the emacs window, bring it to the front and send
> a C-M-r sequence to start the remember dialog.
> In this way I can create a todo or note in whatever application I am just working.
>

> rainer

sorry I forgot - org version is 5.16b

@ 2007-12-13 21:05 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-12-13 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Dec 13, 2007, at 4:58 PM, Rainer Stengele wrote:

> I can now reproduce a bug which annoys me since several months.
>
> Defining a todo with remember I try to save it with C-u C-c C-c
> under the template-predefined headline.
>
> The filled template is saved under the predefined headline only (!)
> if the org tree shows the headline!
> If I fold the contents of the org buffer so that it only shows the
> level 1
> headlines a level 2 or whatever depth headline will not be found by
> C-u C-c C-c.
>
> Maybe someone can also reproduce that behaviour.

I for one cannot.  Maybe you need to make a minimal example and a step-
by-step
guide.

- Carsten

* Re: when filing todos with remember org-remember-default-headline is not found
@ 2007-12-14  8:42   ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2007-12-14  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik schrieb:

> On Dec 13, 2007, at 4:58 PM, Rainer Stengele wrote:
>
>> I can now reproduce a bug which annoys me since several months.
>>
>> Defining a todo with remember I try to save it with C-u C-c C-c under
>> the template-predefined headline.
>>
>> The filled template is saved under the predefined headline only (!) if
>> the org tree shows the headline!
>> If I fold the contents of the org buffer so that it only shows the
>> level 1
>> headlines a level 2 or whatever depth headline will not be found by
>> C-u C-c C-c.
>>
>> Maybe someone can also reproduce that behaviour.
>
> I for one cannot.  Maybe you need to make a minimal example and a
> step-by-step
> guide.
>
> - Carsten

Sorry, I am not able to reproduce the effect in a small file.
My 8000 lines org file includes a lot of sensitive data so I do not wanna publish it i the newsgroup.
What can I do? Can I debug a certain function?

My remember template looks like here:

 ("Admin-Todo" 97 "* TODO Admin: %?                                                :ADMIN:@DIPLAN:
   SCHEDULED: %t
   CLOCK: %U--%U =>  0:00
   erzeugt: %U
   %i" "~/org/DIPLAN.org" "Admin---LONELY SINGLE NEXT ACTIONS")

so the search string is "Admin---LONELY SINGLE NEXT ACTIONS".

@ 2007-12-14 21:28 ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2007-12-14 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Dec 13, 2007 9:28 PM, Rainer Stengele <rainer.stengele@diplan.de> wrote:

[snip]

> BTW - working with the remember templates in org-mode is a dream!!!
> I work under Windows and use Auto Hotkey as a Macro tool.
> I configured C-M-S-r to find the emacs window, bring it to the front and send
> a C-M-r sequence to start the remember dialog.
> In this way I can create a todo or note in whatever application I am just working.

Thanks for the idea.  Works great!

--
Manish

* Re: Re: when filing todos with remember org-remember-default-headline is not found
@ 2007-12-15 13:31     ` Eddward DeVilla
From: Eddward DeVilla @ 2007-12-15 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Sorry, I am not able to reproduce the effect in a small file.
> My 8000 lines org file includes a lot of sensitive data so I do not wanna publish it i the newsgroup.
> What can I do? Can I debug a certain function?

That's ok.  I think most people wouldn't want a 8000 line file sent to
the list.  Can you make a copy of the file and you .emacs and try
pruning out as much as possible (and not just the sensitive data)
while still reproducing the error?  If the error require a snippet of
sensitive data, just replace it with some less sensitive.  I try to
use Stoogles, Marx Brothers, passages from music theater and other
non-sense.  A small example make it easier for someone to just cut and
paste from email to emacs and give it a try.

Edd

* Re: when filing todos with remember org-remember-default-headline is not found
@ 2007-12-17  7:08       ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2007-12-17  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Eddward DeVilla schrieb:
>> Sorry, I am not able to reproduce the effect in a small file.
>> My 8000 lines org file includes a lot of sensitive data so I do not wanna publish it i the newsgroup.
>> What can I do? Can I debug a certain function?
>
> That's ok.  I think most people wouldn't want a 8000 line file sent to
> the list.  Can you make a copy of the file and you .emacs and try
> pruning out as much as possible (and not just the sensitive data)
> while still reproducing the error?  If the error require a snippet of
> sensitive data, just replace it with some less sensitive.  I try to
> use Stoogles, Marx Brothers, passages from music theater and other
> non-sense.  A small example make it easier for someone to just cut and
> paste from email to emacs and give it a try.
>
> Edd

OK, I can prune down to here which should be small enough.

as already said, fold all trees and take this template:
 ("Admin-Todo" 97 "* TODO Admin: %?                                                :ADMIN:@DIPLAN:
   SCHEDULED: %t
   CLOCK: %U--%U =>  0:00
   erzeugt: %U
   %i" "~/org/DIPLAN.org" "Admin---LONELY SINGLE NEXT ACTIONS")

then C-u C-c C-c won't find "Admin---LONELY SINGLE NEXT ACTIONS"

here's the contents:

:SETUP:
#+STARTUP: overview
#+TAGS: @DIPLAN(d) @HOME(h) @IGN @KUNDE(k) @UNTERWEGS(u)
#+TAGS: ADMIN(a) BENNI(b) BESORGEN(k) COMPUTER(c) DVD EMAIL(e) IGNORE(r) INFO(i) LESEN(l) MEETING(m) PROJEKT(p) SOMETIME_MAYBE(s) REVIEW_REGULARLY(y) TEL(t) WARTEN(w) WINTER(W) ULLA(x)
#+STARTUP: hidestars
#+SEQ_TODO: TODO INARBEIT | DONE CANCELED DELEGATED
#+COLUMNS: %40ITEM(Task) %5TODO(To-do) %1PRIORITY %10TAGS
:END:
* Projekte / NEXT ACTIONS
#+CATEGORY: ADMIN
** Admin
*** Admin---LONELY SINGLE NEXT ACTIONS
**** DONE [#A] Beru: Besuchsdokumente als HTML an Markus									    :@DIPLAN:
      SCHEDULED: <2007-12-07 Fr> CLOSED: [2007-12-07 Fr 15:39]
      erzeugt: [2007-12-07 Fr 09:09]
** Besorgungen / Anschaffungen
*** TODO SSL Zertifikate besorgen: freessl.org                                                                                      :@DIPLAN:ADMIN:BESORGEN:

* Re: when filing todos with remember org-remember-default-headline is not found
@ 2007-12-20 16:01         ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2007-12-20 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rainer Stengele schrieb:
> Eddward DeVilla schrieb:
>>> Sorry, I am not able to reproduce the effect in a small file.
>>> My 8000 lines org file includes a lot of sensitive data so I do not wanna publish it i the newsgroup.
>>> What can I do? Can I debug a certain function?
>> That's ok.  I think most people wouldn't want a 8000 line file sent to
>> the list.  Can you make a copy of the file and you .emacs and try
>> pruning out as much as possible (and not just the sensitive data)
>> while still reproducing the error?  If the error require a snippet of
>> sensitive data, just replace it with some less sensitive.  I try to
>> use Stoogles, Marx Brothers, passages from music theater and other
>> non-sense.  A small example make it easier for someone to just cut and
>> paste from email to emacs and give it a try.
>>
>> Edd

> OK, I can prune down to here which should be small enough.
>
> as already said, fold all trees and take this template:
>  ("Admin-Todo" 97 "* TODO Admin: %?                                                :ADMIN:@DIPLAN:
>    SCHEDULED: %t
>    CLOCK: %U--%U =>  0:00
>    erzeugt: %U
>    %i" "~/org/DIPLAN.org" "Admin---LONELY SINGLE NEXT ACTIONS")
>

> then C-u C-c C-c won't find "Admin---LONELY SINGLE NEXT ACTIONS"
>

> here's the contents:
>

> :SETUP:
> #+STARTUP: overview
> #+TAGS: @DIPLAN(d) @HOME(h) @IGN @KUNDE(k) @UNTERWEGS(u)
> #+TAGS: ADMIN(a) BENNI(b) BESORGEN(k) COMPUTER(c) DVD EMAIL(e) IGNORE(r) INFO(i) LESEN(l) MEETING(m) PROJEKT(p) SOMETIME_MAYBE(s) REVIEW_REGULARLY(y) TEL(t) WARTEN(w) WINTER(W) ULLA(x)
> #+STARTUP: hidestars
> #+SEQ_TODO: TODO INARBEIT | DONE CANCELED DELEGATED
> #+COLUMNS: %40ITEM(Task) %5TODO(To-do) %1PRIORITY %10TAGS
> :END:
> * Projekte / NEXT ACTIONS
> #+CATEGORY: ADMIN
> ** Admin
> *** Admin---LONELY SINGLE NEXT ACTIONS
> **** DONE [#A] Beru: Besuchsdokumente als HTML an Markus									    :@DIPLAN:
>       SCHEDULED: <2007-12-07 Fr> CLOSED: [2007-12-07 Fr 15:39]
>       erzeugt: [2007-12-07 Fr 09:09]
> ** Besorgungen / Anschaffungen
> *** TODO SSL Zertifikate besorgen: freessl.org                                                                                      :@DIPLAN:ADMIN:BESORGEN:

Hi list!

I am still struggling with this "bug". It makes the remember function bringing the
effort of having to refile all the time or having to define the file saving headline always manually.

I changed the headline to different contents but that didn't help.

HELP!

rainer

* Re: Re: when filing todos with remember org-remember-default-headline is not found
@ 2007-12-21 15:18           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-12-21 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Dec 20, 2007, at 5:01 PM, Rainer Stengele wrote:

> Rainer Stengele schrieb:
>>
> Hi list!
>
> I am still struggling with this "bug". It makes the remember
> function bringing the
> effort of having to refile all the time or having to define the file
> saving headline always manually.
>
> I changed the headline to different contents but that didn't help.
>
> HELP!

Hi Rainer,

I still cannot reproduce it, using you setup things work fine for me.
But maybe your setup is not complete?  What are your settings for things
like `org-remember-store-without-prompt', `org-reverse-note-order'.

What *exactly* hapens when you say it cannot find the
headline?  An error?  Or is the note filed in a different position?
A different file?  Not at all?

- Carsten

* Re: when filing todos with remember org-remember-default-headline is not found
@ 2008-01-09 15:21             ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2008-01-09 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik schrieb:

> On Dec 20, 2007, at 5:01 PM, Rainer Stengele wrote:
>
>> Rainer Stengele schrieb:
>>>
>> Hi list!
>>
>> I am still struggling with this "bug". It makes the remember function
>> bringing the
>> effort of having to refile all the time or having to define the file
>> saving headline always manually.
>>
>> I changed the headline to different contents but that didn't help.
>>
>> HELP!
>
> Hi Rainer,
>
> I still cannot reproduce it, using you setup things work fine for me.
> But maybe your setup is not complete?  What are your settings for things
> like `org-remember-store-without-prompt', `org-reverse-note-order'.
>

> What *exactly* hapens when you say it cannot find the
> headline?  An error?  Or is the note filed in a different position?
> A different file?  Not at all?
>
> - Carsten

hi again.

this is still bugging me a lot.

I tried again and the error is reproducable when the headline is at least "level" two (** HEADLINE)..
The headline is then not found by C-u C-c C-c. Instead, the todo is wrongly saved at the very end of the toplevel block in which the destination headline is level 3.

Example:

* Projects
** Admin
*** HEADLINE
** last project in list
*** TODO HERE is the wrongly filed todo!!! If I open the tree to show "*** HEADLINE" while remembering a todo the HEADLINE is found correctly!
* Customers
** whoever ...

If I move HEADLINE to toplevel (* HEADLINE) it is found without problems.

Any more ideas?

rainer