From: Rick Moynihan <rick@calicojack.co.uk>
To: Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: FR: toggling timestamps active/inactive
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 10:08:47 +0100	[thread overview]

Carsten Dominik wrote:
> On Oct 16, 2007, at 18:22, Adam Spiers wrote:
>
>> Rick Moynihan (rick@calicojack.co.uk) wrote:
>>> Adam Spiers wrote:
>>> This seems like a good idea.  Another related one occurred to me today
>>> (if it's necessary) which is toggling between the two list indicators.
>>>
>>> e.g.
>>>
>>> - foo
>>> - bar
>>>   - baz |<-- Point
>
> This cammand does exist, it is `C-c -'.

Excellent.  I'd forgotten there were so many list types/styles though,
it seems that this might be better on some kind of cycle (like the
priority cookies).  I don't know what key binding you could use though.
  Could holding CTRL and using the arrows up/down work?

> When you are in a list, M-RET makes the next list item, C-u M-RET makes
> the next section, and C-RET does the same - even if for different
> reasons.
>
> In what sense does M-RET not DWYM?

Speaking for myself I think the issue is that M-RET is a common habit
for creating a series of either list-items or outlines.  The problem
arises when you are under an outline and press M-RET it creates a new
outline, when you really wanted to start a list.  Hence having a
convenient toggle here to turn an outline to a list/vice-versa might be
handy.  Perhaps the C-c - binding (or perhaps a cyclical one) could be
used to include the current outline level in the cycle.  This binding
would then also obviously be applicable on outlines, allowing them to be
converted from outline to list.

Do these ideas make sense?

R.