From: Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl>
To: Richard G Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Categories
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 16:27:46 +0200	[thread overview]

On Oct 12, 2007, at 16:12, Richard G Riley wrote:

> Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

>>> Did you before?
>>
>> IIRC this was a recurrent issue on this list.

>>> Almost. There is no completion or "pick" for the available
>>> categories. I
>>> would expect something like a "tab for completion" field similar to
>>> set
>>> tag for a task.
>>
>> Yes.  We can imagine something like %^c (prompt for a category with
>> proper completion).  But then why not %^s for the SUMMARY property?
>> And %^d for the DESCRIPTION property?  My answer try to avoid going
>> into this, since I (still) think handling properties from within a
>> remember template is a bit too much.  But I might be wrong.

>>> I'm not sure I understand. One of the most important task properties
>>> is
>>> the category I would have though.
>>
>> You can use property inheritance.  Ask your remember template to put
>> the
>> entry in the right subtree, and use a category for that entry only.
>
> I do. e.g
>
> ,----
> |  '(org-remember-templates
> |
> |            (?e "* %U %^{Title}\n %i\n %a\n" "~/org/todo.org" "Emacs")
> `----
>
> I think we are talking at cross purposes.
>
> A category is the A number one most important property for task
> organization I would have thought.
>
> I can already place them in the right org file section using the
> template and others like it above.
>
> But there appears to be no way to manipulate them then e.g move to
> other
> category other can cut and paste.
>
> Possibly my total ignorance of "properties" is the issue here as I can
> find no examples of their use or how an end user should utilise them. I
> am assuming from your words here that "category" is merely a property.
>
> ,----
> | > You can use property inheritance.  Ask your remember template to
> put the
> | > entry in the right subtree, and use a category for that entry only.
> `----
>
> What do you mean the right subtree? I already, through the template,
> put
> it into the right sub section delimited by the category property. What
> do you mean by "use a category for that entry only"? Do you mean only
> the sub tree has a category property? In this case that is what I have
> -
> sections of tasks with a category section separating them. e.g
>
> ,----
> | * FaceBook
> |
> | :PROPERTIES:
> | :CATEGORY: FaceBook
> | :END:
> |

> | * Emacs
> |
> | :PROPERTIES:
> | :CATEGORY: Emacs
> | :END:
> |
> | ** [2007-10-12 Fri 15:03] How to use categories in org-mode
> |
> |   [[gnus:nnmaildir%2BMyMail:DevelopmentEmail#874][Email from
> [...]

You can add a category property to the entry, and that will overrule the
category that might be inherited from above.  With the latest org-mode
5.12,
press `C-c C-x p'.  This will prompt you for a property name, enter
CATEGORY
(using completion).  The it will ask you for the category itself and you
can enter it, again using completion against existing categories (given
as
properties *anywhere* in the file.  So this will not see the #+CATEGORY
lines,
only the

   :PROPERTIES:
   :CATEGORY: work
   :END:

definitions.

You can also insert a line

#+PROPERTY: CATEGORY_ALL work home phone whendrunk

to define a complete list of categories.

Note that setting the property wil change the category of the item,
but it will *not* move it to a different place in the file.  If I
understand correctly, this is what you want.

- Carsten