* Problem with remember and org-mode 6.01d
@ 2008-04-21 18:57 Jurgen Defurne
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jurgen Defurne @ 2008-04-21 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I am trying to upgrade to the newest org-mode, but I really need the remember functionality.

I have two systems, one that acts as 'production' and one that acts as 'test'. On production I am still on the org-mode 5.23 + remember 1.9. I am now trying remember 2.0 (although I have tested after failure with 1.9) with org-mode 6.01d. I have setup the test system that it has the same emacs startup commands as the production system.

When I try to enter a remember template, C-c r works, but upon selection of the template I get

        symbol's function definition is void : x-selection-value

Does any one have a clue about this problem ?

Regards,

Jurgen

* Re: Problem with remember and org-mode 6.01d
@ 2008-04-21 19:19 ` Jurgen Defurne
From: Jurgen Defurne @ 2008-04-21 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 20:57:33 +0200
Jurgen Defurne <jurgen.defurne@pandora.be> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to upgrade to the newest org-mode, but I really need the remember functionality.
>
> I have two systems, one that acts as 'production' and one that acts as 'test'. On production I am still on the org-mode 5.23 + remember 1.9. I am now trying remember 2.0 (although I have tested after failure with 1.9) with org-mode 6.01d. I have setup the test system that it has the same emacs startup commands as the production system.
>
> When I try to enter a remember template, C-c r works, but upon selection of the template I get
>
>         symbol's function definition is void : x-selection-value
>
> Does any one have a clue about this problem ?
>
> Regards,
>
> Jurgen

I just tried the same on a different, clean machine and I still get the same problem. This is the content of my .emacs file :

(add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/remember")
(add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org")

(require 'org-install)
(require 'remember)

(org-remember-insinuate)
(setq org-directory "~/agenda")
(setq org-default-notes-file (concat org-directory "/notes.org"))
(define-key global-map "\C-cr" 'org-remember)

(setq org-remember-templates
  '(("Todo" ?t "* TODO %?\n  %i\n  %a" "~/org/TODO.org" "Tasks")
    ("Journal" ?j "* %U %?\n\n  %i\n  %a" "~/org/JOURNAL.org")
    ("Idea" ?i "* %^{Title}\n  %i\n  %a" "~/org/JOURNAL.org" "New Ideas")))

@ 2008-04-21 19:25 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-04-21 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jurgen Defurne; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Apparently you have an Emacs version that has X-windows, but does not
know the
function x-selection-value (which is used by Org to extract the X
selection).

Which Emacs version is that?

Thanks.

- Carsten

P.S.  The git repo has already a work-around, but the next release is
only in a few days.

@ 2008-04-22 18:33   ` Jurgen Defurne
       [not found]     ` <E0F330D3-0B53-4945-8010-CF1DDA4E74E4@science.uva.nl>
From: Jurgen Defurne @ 2008-04-22 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 21:25:01 +0200
Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:

> Apparently you have an Emacs version that has X-windows, but does not
> know the
> function x-selection-value (which is used by Org to extract the X
> selection).
>
> Which Emacs version is that?
>
> Thanks.
>
> - Carsten
>
> P.S.  The git repo has already a work-around, but the next release is
> only in a few days.
>

> On Apr 21, 2008, at 8:57 PM, Jurgen Defurne wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am trying to upgrade to the newest org-mode, but I really need the
> > remember functionality.
> >
> > I have two systems, one that acts as 'production' and one that acts
> > as 'test'. On production I am still on the org-mode 5.23 + remember
> > 1.9. I am now trying remember 2.0 (although I have tested after
> > failure with 1.9) with org-mode 6.01d. I have setup the test system
> > that it has the same emacs startup commands as the production system.
> >
> > When I try to enter a remember template, C-c r works, but upon
> > selection of the template I get
> >
> >        symbol's function definition is void : x-selection-value
> >
> > Does any one have a clue about this problem ?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Jurgen

I only use (x)emacs versions 21.

@ 2008-04-23 16:31       ` Jurgen Defurne
From: Jurgen Defurne @ 2008-04-23 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 23:52:20 +0200
Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:

> So does this problem hapen under xemacs, or emacs?  xemacs would be
> very strange, because there this function should not be called.  Emacs
> 21 may not have this function.
>
> - Carsten
>

> On Apr 22, 2008, at 8:33 PM, Jurgen Defurne wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 21:25:01 +0200
> > Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
> >
> >> Apparently you have an Emacs version that has X-windows, but does not
> >> know the
> >> function x-selection-value (which is used by Org to extract the X
> >> selection).
> >>
> >> Which Emacs version is that?
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> - Carsten
> >>
> >> P.S.  The git repo has already a work-around, but the next release is
> >> only in a few days.

> > I only use (x)emacs versions 21.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Jurgen

At home here, I only use emacs. I use xemacs at my job because it has better cross-platform compatibility (emacs 21 requires an X-server under Windows, while xemacs runs fine using Cygwin, so I have POSIX compatibility, but can still run on Windows without X-server). And I am not planning to upgrade org and remember at my job until it runs satisfactorily here ate home (where I can tolerate some missing features).

@ 2008-04-23 18:54         ` James TD Smith
From: James TD Smith @ 2008-04-23 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jurgen Defurne; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2008-04-23 18:31:01(+0200), Jurgen Defurne wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 23:52:20 +0200
> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
>
> > So does this problem hapen under xemacs, or emacs?  xemacs would be
> > very strange, because there this function should not be called.  Emacs
> > 21 may not have this function.
> >
> > On Apr 22, 2008, at 8:33 PM, Jurgen Defurne wrote:

> > > I only use (x)emacs versions 21.
> > >
> At home here, I only use emacs. I use xemacs at my job because it has better
> cross-platform compatibility (emacs 21 requires an X-server under Windows,
> while xemacs runs fine using Cygwin, so I have POSIX compatibility, but can
> still run on Windows without X-server). And I am not planning to upgrade org
> and remember at my job until it runs satisfactorily here ate home (where I can
> tolerate some missing features).

Hi Jurgen,

I didn't test the remember clipboard patch on GNU Emacs 21, only on XEmacs 21
and GNU Emacs 22. I'll get a patch out ASAP; in the meantime you can use
Carsten's workaround in Git.

James

* Re: Problem with remember and org-mode 6.01d : Finally success
@ 2008-04-24 18:43 ` Jurgen Defurne
From: Jurgen Defurne @ 2008-04-24 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear all,

I noticed this noon that org-mode 6.02 was released, and I tried it out. I managed to get it working. Here are my notes for XEmacs 21 on Cygwin. I still have to test on emacs 21, but that will not be for tonight.

** TODO Error in org-6.02 makefile + patch
   The path ./lisp should be added to the load-path, otherwise all requires
   fail/
** TODO Error when requesting 'R' in agenda mode
   (3) (warning/warning) Error caught in `font-lock-pre-idle-hook':
   (error No such face :strike-through)
** TODO Error when requesting 'R'
   Clock tables appear unwanted and in wrong places in agenda files,
   where current cursor is located!
** TODO Error in clock summary
   Face for *Total time* is smaller, leading to bad spacing of table

Regards,

Jurgen

* Re: Problem with remember and org-mode 6.01d : Finally success
@ 2008-04-25 13:52   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-04-25 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jurgen Defurne; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Jurgen,

thanks for the report.
On Apr 24, 2008, at 8:43 PM, Jurgen Defurne wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I noticed this noon that org-mode 6.02 was released, and I tried it
> out. I managed to get it working. Here are my notes for XEmacs 21 on
> Cygwin. I still have to test on emacs 21, but that will not be for
> tonight.
>
> ** TODO Error in org-6.02 makefile + patch
>   The path ./lisp should be added to the load-path, otherwise all
> requires
>   fail/

Yes, I missed that, thanks a lot!  Fixed now.

> ** TODO Error when requesting 'R' in agenda mode
>   (3) (warning/warning) Error caught in `font-lock-pre-idle-hook':
>   (error No such face :strike-through)

Hmmm, not really fixed, but worked around for now.

> ** TODO Error when requesting 'R'
>   Clock tables appear unwanted and in wrong places in agenda files,
>   where current cursor is located!

Another severe bug, fixed, thanks.

> ** TODO Error in clock summary
>   Face for *Total time* is smaller, leading to bad spacing of table

That is in your setup, the default bold face should not be
wider than the normal face.

- Carsten